Wild Song

from the UK to the south Atlantic Ocean

01 August 2013
26 May 2013
24 May 2013
23 May 2013
23 May 2013 | The Continental Shelf!
17 May 2013
14 May 2013
10 May 2013
08 May 2013
08 May 2013
07 May 2013
05 May 2013
03 May 2013
30 April 2013

Not won Yet

07 March 2013
The Battle for Cabo Frio is not won yet.However, I can't complain too much for winds mostly out of the north have allowed me to track north easterly which is a good direction at this stage in the game. But I am still several hundred miles from where I might pick up an easterly which I can then carry almost to the equator so quite a bit of patient plodding along is called for. Winds have been mostly around 20 knots, and the sea rough. After a week of windward work I am ready for a bit of rest, and one seems forecast. The air temperature is now nudging 30C but the cabin temperature is even higher because there has been too much spray to risk opening any hatches. It's like an oven where I am writing this and the keyboard is awash with dripping sweat. I stick my head out for relief but the sun is very strong and shade limited because there is too much wind to rig the cockpit shade. The nights are the busiest time - it's usually when the self-steering needs adjustment, or a squall runs through and I have to reef. It's two weeks today since I left and I'm quite pleased with progress. I reckon I am a quarter of the way to the Azores which give me an arrival there of middle to end of April. Fresh food is lasting - tomatoes, spuds, hard white cabbage are doing well; but I feel duty bound to eat those first which is making for a repetitive diet. Can't write more now - too bloody hot.
Vessel Name: Wild Song
Vessel Make/Model: Victoria 38
Hailing Port: Falmouth UK
Crew: Paul and Libby Heiney
About:
Paul Heiney and Libby Purves are writers and broadcasters in the UK, are married, and have sailed together for over 30 years. Libby is also a monthly columnist for 'Yachting Monthly' magazine. [...]
Extra:
Both Paul and Libby have written about their sailing adventures. 'One Summer's Grace' is Libby's best-selling account of their voyage round Britain with their, then, two small children. Paul wrote of his solo transatlantic experiences in 'The Last Man Across the Atlantic'. The clue's in the [...]
Wild Song's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 4 June 2011
Site Meter