Adventures of the S/V Williard G

16 January 2013
16 January 2013
07 January 2013
07 January 2013
07 January 2013
14 May 2011
04 May 2011
26 April 2011
26 April 2011
26 April 2011
13 March 2011 | Bequia
06 March 2011 | Rodney Bay
02 February 2011 | Fort de France
10 January 2011 | Pointe-A-Pitre
15 December 2010
04 December 2010 | Port Zantee, Basseterre
04 December 2010 | St. Barts
29 November 2010 | Gustavia

Villa Barbeau

04 December 2010 | St. Barts
Don & Sharon
November 30, 2010 St. Barts, another gorgeous we were off to town by 9:30 with a long to do list. The fish market was finally open but only had one kg lobsters and we were not interested. Headed for the Port Authority to verify water and fuel locations and times as we are headed for Statia tomorrow morning. Turns out that we top off water at the Port Authority where we can also check out and fuel must be done at the commercial fuel dock. Now we have a plan for tomorrow morning, check out, top off water, and then fuel. Yesterday we stopped at city hall at the point of the harbor to inquire about the location of the house my father (Edwin Barbeau)had built here in the 1970's. The person with the most knowledge of that was on vacation but the person we spoke to suggested we check at the police station and also promised to check with her colleage when she returned from vacation. The walk to the police station was up a steep hill and had an added attraction of a patassiere across the street. (French bakery) The officier at the police station was immediately aware of our request as city hall had called and notified them of our interest in finding the location of the house. I had been here back in 1974 but had no memory of the exact location. The officier explained where "Villa Barbeau" had been and that it had been destroyed in a storm some time ago. A new home had been built on the site and most cab drivers would be able to take us if we just said we wanted to go to Villa Barbeau. We went to the pastry shop, breakfast in an internet café and then Don find a cab who said he could take us there. It is a very small world. The cab drivers name was Dennis, his father was a cab driver here and both new and worked for my father. Dennis remembered things about the boat he owned and his wife that I had long since forgotten. The house has been completely rebuilt by someone with as good a taste as my father. The view is to the Northwest and Northeast and upon seeing it many memories returned. One of my favorite memories was of purchasing freshly baked bread from stone ovens on the mountainside heading up to the house. Lo and behold Dennis' mother was a baker who worked at the stone ovens!! We thanked Dennis for the ride and upon leaving the cab Dennis told me I looked much like my father. This is not the first time I have heard this as my brother and mother mentioned it often. Decided to go for a beer and a cheeseburger at Le Select (Jimmy Buffet's , Cheeseburger In Paradise) Then off to the market and back to the boat. Bought 2 bottles of cheap French wine in honor of my father. Don is napping and I am writing this blog, I will finish after dinner. Tonight was one of the most spectacular sunsets we have ever seen. Even Don thought it belonged in the top ten. Watched the sun go down with some French red and toasted my dad and his visions. I would like to return someday and possibly get inside the gate to the villa and see what the new owners have done. This has been a splendid finale to our time in St. Barths.
Comments
Vessel Name: Williard G
Vessel Make/Model: Bristol 45.5
Hailing Port: Rochester,N Y
Crew: Donald Lieber & Sharon Lisberg
About:
Don and Sharon are recent ritirees and traveled to the caribbean for the winter of 2010 - 2011. Don is a long time racer and cruiser at the Rochester Yacht Club. Sharon grew up on Long Island mostly around power boats and is now thoroughly inthralled with the sailing life. [...]
Williard G's Photos - Main
Shelly, Kate, Dan & Don sailing from NYC to Moorhead City, NC
53 Photos
Created 4 November 2013
11 Photos
Created 21 November 2010
10 Photos
Created 21 November 2010
19 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 7 November 2010