Windancer IV

Windancer IV is a Lagoon 440 cruising catamaran. She is Hull# 001 and was purchased by the MacKenzie family in November, 2005 who took possession in Fort Lauderdale, Florida shortly after Hurricane Wilma. John MacKenzie, delivered the vessel to the B

19 July 2009 | Bahamas
18 June 2009 | Staniel Cay, Exumas
10 June 2009 | Stuat's Cove, New Providence, Bahamas
05 June 2009 | Allan Cay, Bahamas
04 June 2009 | Passage between Provo, T & C and Rum Cay, Bahamas
02 June 2009 | Turks and Caicos
26 May 2009 | USVI and BVI
25 May 2009 | BVI and USVI
23 May 2009 | Cooper Island, BVI
16 May 2009 | Passage from St Thomas to Nanny Cay
14 May 2009 | Charlotte's Amalie, St. Thomas
07 May 2009 | Sir Francis Drake Passage off Nanny Cay Marina
04 May 2009 | Barbuda
02 May 2009 | Dominica
30 April 2009 | Guadeloupe
26 April 2009 | St Maarten, WI
20 April 2009 | Carlisle Bay, Antigua, WI
19 April 2009 | Portsmouth, Dominica
18 April 2009 | Falmouth Harbour, Antigua, WI
17 April 2009 | Passage from Jolly Harbour to Carlisle Bay, Antigua

The Scuttlebutted Three

23 May 2009 | Cooper Island, BVI
Connor MacKenzie
Sitting a few hundred yards from the shore of Hallover Bay on Cooper Island in about 85 feet of water are the Marie L and the Pat. The Marie L was a 75-foot inter-island cargo ship, the Pat a 90-foot freighter. The Marie L. was purposely sunk in 1990 and the Pat in 1995. Coincidently I was born in 1995. If you descend down the line of the mooring buoy you reach a plateau about 45 feet down. Swim several hundred feet and you reach a reef that drops down to about 80 feet. The reef is abundant with coral and fish. Continue on and suddenly the two ships that are leaning against each other appear out of the haze caused by the algae bloom. The bloom which traveled up from South America and settled in the B.V.I. limits visibility to 65 feet. The algae could destroy the ecosystem that feeds on coral because the cloudier water could not allow coral to grow, thereby killing it. A new ecosystem of algae eaters could flourish though.

The Marie L is closer to the reef. We approached the wrecks and were amazed. Two massive French angelfish were feeding in coral on the wreck. We swam closer, getting within a few feet before they swam off. Schools of fish inhabit the wrecks. We swam to the stern and I entered the bridge and stood where the wheel once was. We moved onto the Pat. Beside the Pat are a toilet and a bidet. I immediately sat down whilst giggling through my regulator. Mom was on the bidet beside me. We started swimming into the abyss. Where are we going?

We were going to the Beata, a tug that was scuttled as well. On the front of the Beata were the massive tires, from an 18 wheeler maybe, that were used to push numerous boats from the perils of other boats or a dock. The pilothouse had stairs leading to the bridge and I couldn't resist the urge to mimic climbing them. So childish but so much fun.

Suddenly, as we neared the end of our dive, Mom's secondary regulator started flowing almost all of her remaining air. I gave her my spare regulator while Dad shut off her air. She went to the surface on Dad's spare.

Those wrecks were the most spectacular things I have encountered in all my scuba diving.
Comments
Vessel Name: Windancer IV
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 440
Hailing Port: Edmonton, Canada
Crew: John MacKenzie
About: John, Ziggy, Connor and Jennifer MacKenzie
Extra: Setting Sail May, 2008 for our "extended cruise"....
Home Page: www.sailblogs.com/member/windancer

S/V Windancer IV

Who: John MacKenzie
Port: Edmonton, Canada
Windancer IV - Side Block
Custom Footer