Windancer IV

Windancer IV is a Lagoon 440 cruising catamaran. She is Hull# 001 and was purchased by the MacKenzie family in November, 2005 who took possession in Fort Lauderdale, Florida shortly after Hurricane Wilma. John MacKenzie, delivered the vessel to the B

19 July 2009 | Bahamas
18 June 2009 | Staniel Cay, Exumas
10 June 2009 | Stuat's Cove, New Providence, Bahamas
05 June 2009 | Allan Cay, Bahamas
04 June 2009 | Passage between Provo, T & C and Rum Cay, Bahamas
02 June 2009 | Turks and Caicos
26 May 2009 | USVI and BVI
25 May 2009 | BVI and USVI
23 May 2009 | Cooper Island, BVI
16 May 2009 | Passage from St Thomas to Nanny Cay
14 May 2009 | Charlotte's Amalie, St. Thomas
07 May 2009 | Sir Francis Drake Passage off Nanny Cay Marina
04 May 2009 | Barbuda
02 May 2009 | Dominica
30 April 2009 | Guadeloupe
26 April 2009 | St Maarten, WI
20 April 2009 | Carlisle Bay, Antigua, WI
19 April 2009 | Portsmouth, Dominica
18 April 2009 | Falmouth Harbour, Antigua, WI
17 April 2009 | Passage from Jolly Harbour to Carlisle Bay, Antigua

Sail Repair - Take Three

28 December 2008 | Mid-Atlantic Ocean ????
Tales from our Atlantic crossing...........



Hello again,

I should have known that making a statement like "amazing winds" or "we found the trades" or " flying along pushing 10 knots (OK, I left that one out but we were - actually hitting 13.5 surfing down a wave!)", and something bad had to happen. Well here it is...

As Windancer IV was flying along in 20 knot winds, the first we've seen sustained for more than an hour so far on the trip, the crew was loving it. Opera singer/fellow crew member would break into song every time a new high was reached, 9.3, then 9.6.... then 10 - oh, how the show tunes were coming out like the dawn of a new day!

However life was not perfect. As we all know, after attending the "Tips for Downwind Sailing" seminar, the force on the sail and rig increases by a factor of two as the wind increases. So Force 1, 1x the force, Force 2, 2x the force, Force 3, 4x....

We also had a tough point of sail, almost directly downwind, with the genoa butterflied out to starboard and the full main on the port side. Unfortunately, with the nice breeze comes increased seas - maybe 2-3 m - nothing too exciting or uncomfortable, just surfing up one side and down the other - massive speed and very exciting. but the seas are rarely directly in tune with the winds, and sure enough we had a slightly quartering sea condition - so we would run up one side of the wave, then slide down the other with as much as a 30+ change in course as the boat skidded down the wall of water.

This uncontrollable change in course did however cause a number of unplanned mainsail gybes - shuttering the entire rig. CRASH. As Team Windancer assessed the situation, of course we had to have the largest gust of the day - topping 35 knots -and BOOOOOM. John was at the helm, calling for "all hands on deck" and we saw the damage - the top four feet of the mainsail, just above the first batten, was shredded. from the head to the first batten.

So, Marlene takes the helm, John, Bruce and Maris work together (like a well oiled machine), to lower and secure the damaged mainsail. unfurl the genoa, and back sailing downwind - no it's not a race but the bars in St. Lucia are calling our names! The downside isn't too bad, cruising along at 7 knots with just our full genoa - love that wind.

After a quick brainstorming session, the bosun chair is rigged and the Skipper is up the mast, removing the block and main halyard car to free the damaged section of the mainsail. Sail repair team Maris and Bruce fashion a quick fix to the leech line and cutting away the damaged section resulting in what now appears to be a Gaff or Square Rig design for our mainsail.

The concern over the first batten stitching taking the entire load of the mainsail will be solved by a continuous support line from the new new head of the mainsail, the first batten, down to each batten, therefore transferring the load while hoisting the main.

Sorry if I've been rambling, stilling talking myself through the whole procedure. We are not suffering at present, 7.3 knots (just surfed to 8.3 knots) with only the genoa.

No worries, no problems, not a concern. If the winds diminish, we may try the new mainsail design, or simply unfurl the genoa for some extra speed - for now we're more than fine.

During all the fun, Connor, Bruce, Marlene and Maris all pitched in with extra hands, tools and moral support, while the first mate was busy preparing a Curry feast - thanks to Becky's curry recipe.

Best wishes to all, fair winds and following seas, and first vessel to St. Lucia better have the ice ready and the drinks cold!!!!

Cheers, Crew of Windancer IV
Comments
Vessel Name: Windancer IV
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 440
Hailing Port: Edmonton, Canada
Crew: John MacKenzie
About: John, Ziggy, Connor and Jennifer MacKenzie
Extra: Setting Sail May, 2008 for our "extended cruise"....
Home Page: www.sailblogs.com/member/windancer

S/V Windancer IV

Who: John MacKenzie
Port: Edmonton, Canada
Windancer IV - Side Block
Custom Footer