Bookmark and Share
Windancer IV
Windancer IV is a Lagoon 440 cruising catamaran. She is Hull# 001 and was purchased by the MacKenzie family in November, 2005 who took possession in Fort Lauderdale, Florida shortly after Hurricane Wilma. John MacKenzie, delivered the vessel to the B
Crew of Windancer IV returns to St Martin
John MacKenzie
02/03/2009, Marigot Bay, St Martin, FWI

Today the crew of Windancer IV returned to St Martin and after clearing in to customs and immigration, an ongoing process when travelling between island countries in the Caribbean, we manouvered the vessel delicately through the bridge on the french side of the island.

We anchored in the our "regular" spot in Simpson Lagoon, 1/2 way between Jimbo's Bar and Grill (offering great happy hour and a neat pool for the kids) and the patiserries in Marigot. Ziggy will spend the 1st week of March anchored safely in the lagoon while John returns to Toronto to attend business in Toronto.

The kids and Zig should also be able to catch up with the adult crew of Chilli Oyster. Dave and Becky are enjoying a couple of weeks alone while jordan and Indy visit their dad back in the US.

Fishing Derby - Windancer IV versus Chilli Oyster
John MacKenzie
01/03/2009, Passage between St Barts and St Martin

This one was not served for lunch, but Dave from Chilli Oyster caught a nice Spanish Mackerel that serced as a great dinner - sushi and all.

Then Connor hauled in a Cero the became lunch this afternoon!

Hats off to the fishing derby winners - Chilli Oyster!!!!!

Scuba diving off Gustavia in St. Barts
John MacKenzie
28/02/2009, Gustavia Harbour, St. Barts, FWI

Incredible scuba diving experience off Gustavia Harbour in St Barts

Incredible sea life!
John MacKenzie
26/02/2009, Anse de Colombier, St. Barts

After three hour, lumpy and bumpy motor-sail from Oyster Pond, St. Maarten, Windancer IV approached the western end of the very French Island of St. Bade Colombier, Saint Barthelemy, more commonly known as St. Barts.

We eased into the anchorage realizing that most of the island is protected as a Marine Sanctuary, and it is illegal to spear fish or even wear gloves when diving or snorkelling. It is also illegal to anchor in an area where you can damage the coral.

But when we finally found the last mooring ball, provided free of charge to maintain the undersea beauty, we realized why this small, Caribbean island tries so hard to protect it's rich marine life.

We saw sea turtles - everywhere. And some came so close to Wiundancer Iv that we could even hear them breathe. What an experience - I'd call that the best science class the crew could have!

Zippy Longstocking...
Connor MacKenzie
23/02/2009, Loterrie Farm, St. Martin, FWI

We drove along dirt roads, through slums, in a car that can barely make it up a hill. Now, the car isn't that bad, but when driving the almost vertical hill to get to the Westin Resort and Spa you could walk faster. Anyway, we traveled with all 8 of us in a Suzuki van in the general direction of Pic Paridis, the highest point on St. Martin/ St. Maarten. Loterie Farm is 150 acres of nature preserve and you would think it could be spotted a mile away. Wrong. You turn left at a run down gas station in the middle of nowhere, right at barely legible sign advertising Loterie Farm, park in a grass parking lot and you're there. Painted in earthy tones, the buildings are actually nice compared to the places we passed on the way. We stood in the shade of an old parachute and signed the necessary waivers that need to be signed in order to go zip trekking. Waivers always bugged me, you should really rethink what you are doing when you have to sign a form saying if you die, don't point a finger at us. Moving along, we were fitted with harnesses by a guide who was higher than a kite, if you catch my drift. It is always reassuring that the man with our lives in his hands wasn't in a proper state of mind. However, the up side was that he had some great lines like, "What's the most important rule? Don't die" or when we were petting a cat was "Cat will land on its feet, you won't". Now, don't quotes like that give you confidence to dangle from a wire 60 feet in the air? We learned the ground rules and climbed up to first tight rope. Some people are inching across the wire and some people are chickening out before they start while Boss Man, our guide is walking backwards with a coke can in one hand. We are indeed attached to something, a metal wire, about the equivalent to our shrouds, but falling is still nerve racking while you free fall until you reach the end of line attached to your harness and hurts a lot. Imagine doing the "Jackass" stunt when they jump from a tree while their underwear is still attached, wedgie times a lot! Kim, Jenny and Shae raced through the curse to the extent of being asked to stop and wait for other people to catch up. I slowly went through for the sole purpose of watching Bruce and Mom make their way through. There were logs dangling from ropes to be used as stepping-stones, tight ropes, zip lines and others. The zip lines were the best, though, you are hooked onto a slanted wire by some pulleys and you slide down the wire at speeds that exceed those of our big rent-a-car. On your and is a well used gardening glove that serves as a brake, when you squeeze the wire you slow to a stop. Squeeze to early and you are stuck in the middle of the wire, squeeze to late and you hit a tree trunk with the momentum of a tire rolling down a hill like the one by the Westin. They have waivers for a reason! Four of the final five elements were zips, only they were very long. Our guide allowed Steph, who didn't do the course, to do the final four and everyone to do them with her. As Eleanor Roosevelt said, do one thing every day that scares you

The Westin
John MacKenzie
22/02/2009, Dawn Beach, St. Maarten, NA

Thanks to Bruce and Steoh's visit, the Windancer IV crew was treated to an amazing week poolside at the Westin Resort and Spa in Dawn Beach on the Dutch side of St. Maarten. With the vessel on a mooring ball in Oyster Pond, the two families were reunited for an amazing week.

John especially enjoyed all the free ice the Westin had to offer, and was only scolded once for bringing the Windancer cooler to the pool. Sure it had more than just bottled pater in it, but the next day at least I only brought the beer that the hotel offered. Otherwise that is a real sign that you're not buying the beer from the hotel. You learn something new every day!!!!

Anyone heard of the YMCA?
21/02/2009, Oyster Pond, St. Maarten, NA

More fun nights!

Even more fun for the BFFs

Too much fun in the Caribbean is NOT a problem!!!!

Shae and Jenny having toooooo much fun.....

more fun for the BFFs

Zip-trekking in St Martin
John MacKenzie
19/02/2009, Oyster Pond, St. Maarten, NA

Today, the whole crew hoped into our Suzuki SPV and headed to the French side of the island, via pot-whole coved roads, passing through Grand Case, the culinary capital of the island, and into the interior to a place called Loterie Farm.

The group of eight were outfitted with climbing harnesses and, after a short safety briefing (lesson number one - you must have onje of your safety lines hooked on at ALL TIMES, lesson number two - don;t fall, it will really hurt!). we climbed up the first ladder into the trees to prepare for teh first ZIP.

Steph bailed out from the start, and after receiving her refund, watched from the safety of the tera-firma, taking pictures of the rest of the group.

At the end, the safety leader let the group climb back and redo the last three ZIPs, Steph got talked into doing the last three - GO STEPH GO!!!

Team Behrend and Team MacKenzie
John MacKenzie
18/02/2009, Phillipsburg, St Maarten, NA

Everyone one the boardwalk in Phillipsburg, St Maarten, NA.

Bruce Behrend and family aboard Windancer IV
John MacKenzie
17/02/2009, Pinel Island, St Martin, FWI

Great to have our great friends Bruce and Steph aboard Windancer IV.

Updated BFF...
John MacKenzie
16/02/2009, Oyster Pond, St. Maarten, NA

Jenny and Shae were reunited in St Maarten after almost nine months. Here's just one of the great pictures, and the two BFF's have not left each others side.

BFF - Best Freinds Forever
Jenny MacKenzie
14/02/2009, The Lagoon, St Martin, NA

For the past 12 days I have been writing in my journal "__ days till Super Shae comes'. I have written in my calendar when Shae comes and each and every morning I count in my head how many days are left. The day I heard that Shae was coming I became so excited. I knew that Shae wouldn't be staying on the boat with us but what I did know was that I was spending every moment possible with my best friend. This is going to be one of my favorite visitors. It has been almost 10 months since I last seen my best friend and can no longer take it. From writing e-mails to calling each other on the phone it always makes my day to know that someone in Canada is missing me. Shae and I have always been to each other's birthday party's and this trip brought that streak to an end. I was very excited though to hear that the party was not the same with out me and I definitely think that's true. After months, it is hard to believe the day after tomorrow Shae arrives. I cant wait!

Best friend's forever, Jenny and Shae

Les Poisons
Connor MacKenzie
12/02/2009, The Lagoon, St Martin, NA

Fishing is a big part of our everyday lives. My Mom and I are the fanatics of the crew and drive my Dad crazy by discussing the number of lines we are going to put out and what color lures to use before we are out of the bay. However, no matter what our dedication is we all know our jobs when someone yells, "FISH ON". Depending on if the bite is on the rod or the hand line the spotting will be different. With the rod, there is both noise and appearance. It bends over in a U-shape and goes "ZZZZIIIIIIINNNNGGG" as the line is pulled out. With the hand reel the bungee cord pulls tight. The rod is exciting but doesn't hook the fish right away and it usually gets away. With the hand lines, there is no noise and unless the fish is big, the pull isn't very significant but when the bungee is pulled to its limit, it hooks the fish and you bring it in almost every time.
When a fish is on we all know our jobs. The spotter yells to alert the crew and begins pulling in the line. The person on the bridge or person closest to the helm [steering station] slows the engine or heads into the wind. A third crew-member runs and gets the vodka, not for a celebratory shot but to pour through the gills, stunning the fish. The final person runs and gets the camera. All fish need to be photographed for fun and for proof that we caught another fish. The spotter pulls the fish up the steps and the person who slowed us down gets a firm hold and brings it on board. The spotter or Dad unhooks the catch. This step is crucial, losing a fish on the back step is a real downer. The Lure is thrown back in the water because fish travel in schools and the more fish the better. The smaller fish are held in the cockpit [seating area outside] bar sink where the vodka is poured while the bigger ones are placed on the ground and stunned. Photos are then taken. Depending on the fish size one person or everyone will have their photo taken
All fish are different. Cero [a fish related to mackerel and tuna] put up a big initial fight but play dead half way through. Tuna flap on the surface but make a last minute dive in attempt of escape. Dorado, also called mahi mahi or dolphin, move around and attempt to swim away at the last moment. We have caught dorado that were swimming ahead of us. I can't judge a wahoo because we have only caught 1 ever and it was apparent that he had been dragged for a while because he was 3 feet 4inches long but put up the fight that a 1 foot tuna would give.
All and all, there is nothing more satisfying than eating your own fish only hours after you caught it

Epilogue: Fishing is such a big part of our lives that just today Mom said that for her fiftieth birthday [in 15 years] she would like to go deep sea fishing. We were discussing over dinner how mom would be strapped in the fighting chair with a fishing rod in her hands and a monster blue marlin on the line. Mom exclaimed, "it would be so exciting to reel in that fish" to which Dad replied, "IF you reeled it in". "IF", said Mom, "WHEN", to which I (Connor) replied, "If, I wipe my ass with IF!"

Welcome to St. Martin
John MacKenzie
09/02/2009, Simpson's Lagoon, St. Martin

St Martin is not only a totally duty free island, but because of that distinction, it offers the best shopping in the Caribbean - especially for visiting yachts.

Windancer IV had a few items on it's "To Do" list, including a new control/solenoid for the winlass, new cushions for the bridge and cockpit and a new shifter arm for the starboard engine control.

We also completed the re-wiring of the waterheater (something that I believe was wired incorrectly from the factory since the heater has never worked) and Ziggy now has hot water, for the first time in 8 months!

The weatehr has been good, generally rainng every night to clear the decks abnd beautiful during the day. As we saw yesterday, sometimes a rain shower does pass thought during the day. But when that happens, we are almost always graced with a beautiful rainbow.

As can be seen here, the rainbow arches beautifully over a small island and finishes at our friends vessel, Solitaire.

Who ever said you can't get the "gold" at the end of the rainbow - well at least the "golden" experience!

Connor MacKenzie - KMR Yacht Deliveries
John MacKenzie
06/02/2009, Anegada Passage between North Sound, Virgin Gorda and St. Martin

Shortly after midnight, the crews of Windancer IV and our new Canadian friends aboard Solitaire awoke from a brief sleep and prepared their respective vessels for the passage from the BVI to St. Martin - 72 nautical miles known as the Anegada Passage. It was Solitaires first overnight sail, and unfortunately the trip is almost always to windward.

On this early morning, we saw winds from the east (yes, that means sailing to windward) at less than 15 knots, and it looked to be the best day to sail as the weather was only going to deteriorate. Windancer's experienced dinghy captain, Connot MacKenzie had offered to crew aboard the Jenneau 43DS to assist the rookie offshore crew on their first passage. But Connor had not been feeling great for the days leading up to the passage, a bit fluish and not himself.

But at the last minute, he confirmed his intent to sail as crew and, after a safety check for safety gear, he boarded Solitaire. Windancer IV led the way through a icy dark BVI evening. The moon was about 3/4 full, but cloud cover sheilded much of the moons rays.

Once we maded the turn to the east as we passedf Necker Island, the moon came out to light our way, but onyl for about two hours. Then, complete darkness. but the team stayed together, Windancer IV leading the pack and Solitaire, motor-sailing the entire way, followed in her path.

The sunrise at dawn was spectacular, a full "ball of fire" shot out of the sea - a truely amazing sight. The morrning continued without incident, Windancer maintaining hourly radio contact with our friends from Solitaire. Connor's flu symptons (definitely not sea sickness) were visible and caused him to sleep more than he would have liked. But he was still available to note strange cloud formation (could have been dangerous squall activity) and to help out with night sights of merchant ships at sea.

At 1330, Windancer IV slowed to allow Solitaire to catch up and we noticed an unusual course change by the following sloop. Windancer had been unsuccessful at fishing in the mornign hours, but Solitaire landed their first fish of their trip, a little tunny!!!

After patiently waiting for the 1430 bridge opening on the French side of St. Martin, and constantly checking depth reading for Solitaire, we passed throught the lift bridge and slowly motored into the centre of the Lagoon, anchoring in the shallows in less than 10 feet of water.

Connor returned to Windancer along with the crew of Solitaire, including their exhausted captain Barry. After a quick chilli and baked potato lunch, Barry returned to Solitaire for some well earned sleep and Connor jumped into his cabin aboard Windancer to catch up on his rest.

Congratualtions to future delivery captain Connor MacKenzie
(Picture to follow)

Trading Cultures
Ziggy MacKenzie
04/02/2009, Leverick Bay, BVI

PHOTO ALERT - two albums added: Spanish Virgin Islands and BVI with Friends (including lots of subalbums). Check the Photo Gallery.

It has been a little over two months since we left Las Palmas, Gran Canaria. As we crossed four time zones over the Atlantic we realized we left behind more than the everyday language barriers. The Med had so many charming challenges. Grocery shopping was the fastest Berlitz class I have ever attended; using symbols, pictures, limited words and charades we delighted in the culinary feasts of each country. Driving in cars better suited for match boxes in the narrowest of streets left us breathless with fear and laughter. We said good bye to some of the most famous and beautiful monuments and art from Pisa's Leaning Tower to Rome's Sistine Chapel to Malta's magnificent Co Cathedral hiding behind its sandcastle fa├žade.

As we crossed over to the Caribbean we embraced a new world filled with palm trees and sandy beaches on islands dotting the horizon. Gone is the language barrier, only to be replaced with the island time warp. If shops in towns along the Med closed for midday siesta, in the Caribbean they stay open, but gone is the hustle and bustle efficiency we are so used to. It's island time, mon. Nothing happens quickly and sometimes never happens at all. Fresh fruit in the British Virgin Islands are sparse and shriveled; whereas dry goods are 'a plenty but with prices designed to shock. Fashion and shopping falls into the "My Grandpa went to the BVI and bought me this t-shirt" and shark-teeth necklace categories.

But every day brings the most brilliant blue waters, sun and warmth. Days are spent snorkeling in the clearest water teaming with local reef fish. The trade winds howl down the St. Francis Drake Channel as we surf downwind at 8 knots with just the foresail up. Fishing lines tighten and zing with a fighting tunny or cero, our fresh appetizer for the day. Evenings cool slightly and, on clear horizons, the sun sets with its brilliant green flash. It rains almost every day in 10-15 minute spurts and leaves the deck clean and salt free.

Gone is the historically steeped culture of southern Europe and Northern Africa. We have put away the art, religion and history textbooks. For the next five months we will be studying in nature's classroom filling our days marveling at the sea world below us.

Not a bad trade off, if you ask me.

“Living in the moment”
Alicia Sarabia
01/02/2009, Virgin Islands, Caribbean

This blog is written one day after arriving from St Thomas - our Canadian sun is shining, the snow is white, and I expect that the floors at home will stop rocking back and forth fairly soon. Paul and Mike are hosting a Superbowl party/pool downstairs.

We truly had an incredible seven days with the MacKenzie family aboard Windancer 1V. We couldn't have asked for more gracious hosts, more beautiful sites, and more unique adventures. However, as Zig (and later my daughter Caroline) reminded us - it was living "each moment" that made it for us. So many moments will stay with us - watching schools of flying fish and a pod of dolphins swim by, catching a tunny to "The Hustle", snorkeling alongside the sea turtles, to name a few. I am sure that the kids won't forget some other amazing sites - the double-breasted Foxy, the greenback shooter, and the dance floor at the Rising Sun dock party. I was witness to other rarely spotted Caribbean phenomena even up until the very morning of our departure.

The kids and I concluded our trip to the BVI with our own version of "The Amazing Race", as we jumped the queues at St Thomas airport and literally ran to our seats on the plane that awaited us on the tarmac.

Thanks again John, Zig, Connor and Jen - "WE LUV YA!"

Dock Party at Yacht Haven Grande Marina
John MacKenzie
30/01/2009, St. Thomas, USVI

For our guest, Alicia, Caroline and Michael Hendric, it was the end of an amazing week in the Virgin Islands. Windancer's crew would certainly be mising the great family from Mississauga. Connor and Michael were inseparable and cruise director Jenny found a new friend in Caroline. And of course, Ziggy and Alicia spent hours chatting about everything from our favourite Saturday morning boys football games to the latest in goings on back in Canada.

But before they left, on their last evening aboard the vessel, Windancer IV took a less than usual direction and headed for the dock C - Charley 6 and tied up alongside some of the most beautiful yachts in the world. Memories of Cannes or Nice on the French Riviera in the med this summer pop to mind.

But this night was to be an extra special one. The 4th (or maybe 6th now) largest mega-yacht in the world ws both docked at the same marina, and was hosting a dock party for all Yacht Haven Grande's captains, crews and friends!

The theme was the wear a crazy hat and it was a night "out of this world"!

Fisihing continues to be good
25/01/2009, Off Great Thatch Cay, BVI

Connor spotted a FISH ON, and brought a little tunny aboard - SUSHI for dinner!

OOOOPS, my internet was down....
John MacKenzie
24/01/2009, Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, USVI

Paradise was not totally lost as we sat anchored in the harbour in Charlotte Amalie, enjoying a few days with our new friends from Edmonton aboard Solitare, life was good. The sun was warm, somtimes HOT and the water was perfect (in the fresh water pool!).

Confusion around the arrival details of Alicia, Caroline and Michael Hendrick caused a bit of a delay in their arrival (ops, my computer was down and I did not get your e-mail about taking a cab..).

But after a few calls, check the e-mail and skype to Caoline's cell, and a brief cab ride and of o Yacht Haven Grande Marina. They arrived shortly there-after. A quick dinghy ride and WELCOME ABOARD Windancer IV.

We motored to Sopers Hole and cleared into the BVI. Here we are, in paradise..

Definition of Paradise...

Defining the word paradise is a difficult thing. But for almost everyone, what I am looking at off the bow of Windancer IV is as close to paradise as it gets.

More than a week ago, Windancer's crew bid fond farewells to the Joakim family, who joined us for an amazing ten day BVI cruise that included a "never to be forgotten" New Years celebration at the famous Foxy's on Jost Van Dyke. This family of sailing enthusiasts were seasoned veterans to the cruising experience having sailed south from Canada as a family on two occasions, most recently in the winter and spring of 2007 aboard Wildchild, their Catalina 42 Mark II.

Dave and Michelle, Caroline and Sabrina were the perfect fit for Windancer's MacKenzie clan. The kids played forever and the parents "soaked up" the perfect BVI weather. As all sailors, new and old, continue to learn, constantly in search of the "best beach or anchorage or snorkelling spot" that others are willing to share. Wildchild's crew heartily recommended a trip to the Spanish Virgin Islands, and that is where this tale begins.

We left some newfound friends from Edmonton who are atthe start of their dream, having just moved aboard Solitare, a Jenneaux 43DS just before Christmas 2008. We motorsailed in light winds to Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas and dropped the anchor in 30 feet off the main cruise ship docks. While dinghying into shore to have a quick fresh water swim and some reprovisioning, we were in awe as we passed Rising Son, a 400+ foot megayacht owned by Larry Ellision (goggle the yacht Rising Sun for details). It was really something.

The next morning we set off after breakfast for the small, uninhabited island of Culebrita in the Spanish Virgin Islands, located between the USVI and Puerto Rico. As we rounded the northern point, the perfect, crescent shaped, pure, sandy beach appeared. Four other boats shared this amazing PARADISE with us during the day, but as the sun began to sink into the western sky, the two larger vessels and one small one left the anchorage, obviously only intending to spend an amazing day on this perfect beach. Finally, the last vessel, a small 14' Boston Whaler departed the bay, likely heading back home to Puerto Rico. So here we are, the sun is minutes away from dropping behind the hills on Culebra, the shadows are long, and we float all alone in our own paradise.

The night air is warm, and gentle Easterly is keeping Windancer IV off the beach (which is a good thing since this is also a Sea Turtle Nesting Sanctuary). As I surveyed the crew moments ago, Ziggy was taking a late afternoon nap after getting skunked in a well played game of Crib with the captain, and Connor and Jenny were both reading in their cabins.

If this isn't PARADISE, I'm not sure what is. We'll see what tomorrow brings

Visit from the crew of Wildchild
Dave Joakim
15/01/2009, USVI and BVI.......

Time plays by different rules in the islands. You can't buy it, make it or save it. And time isn't money. Island time moves at its own pace and sometimes not at all. So it was on the day we anchored off Jost Van Dyke in the BVI. It had been nearly two years since our families had shared this cove, yet true to the Caribbean, it seemed no time had passed at all. John took the kids tubing. A large sea turtle surfaced behind the boat and we snorkelled for a look. Frosty blender drinks were the order of the day. We hiked to the turbulent tidal pools to get blasted by incoming waves. More frozen cocktails at the beach bar. And so it went...

We flew into St. Thomas, USVI the day before for a 10-day cruise aboard Windancer. On our previous trip, we travelled in tandem with Windancer aboard our vessel WildChild. This trip, it was all eight of us aboard Windancer. Being a monohull guy, I was eager to see how the big Cat would handle two full families - it turns out there was room to spare!

On every sailor's list is a New Year's Eve spent at Foxy's on Jost van Dyke. Thousands of sailors attend this event every year. The party seethed with Island rhythms until the wee hours, on shore and on boats in the packed anchorage. Weary from the day's events, we lost our captain for a time and found him napping on a "grassy knoll" during the height of the party, readying himself for the midnight hour!

Over the next 7 days, we meandered from island to island, fishing lines always deployed by Admiral Ziggy upon leaving port. We hadn't realized how dedicated a fisherman Ziggy had become, trolling with as many as three lines behind the boat! As a result, many sushi appetizers and fish dinners were enjoyed by all. Windancer has evolved into a fishing boat with a sailing problem!!

Connor and Jenny thrive on Windancer. Both kids know their way around the boat's systems, from starting engines to knowing which breaker turns on which gadget. Connor has learned to lasso a bollard like a rodeo star, when docking. Jenny inspired Caroline to help make a delicious fish dinner for us one evening - table set, all food carefully prepared. Let's hope Jenny has inspired Caroline to cook more at home!

The dark side to boat living is surely marine sanitation. At home, we flush and it ends there. Marine heads are not so...boring. Sabrina found that her toilet could "erupt" if not treated properly, causing what became known as a "poocano". Offshore holding tank discharges were as exciting to the kids as fireworks. There was also a related incident where a crew member, who shall remain nameless, was pelted with monkey poo, while hiking on St. John! Thankfully, Windancer has a watermaker, so hot showers are frequent!

In the end, our island time ran out. The trip ended as it started, at the luxury Yacht Haven Grande Marina in St. Thomas. Good-byes were difficult...the Mackenzie family were the perfect hosts. Two families had truly become one crew. So to the permanent crew of Windancer, we wish you fair winds and following seas. Avoid the cacafuego. KMR. Thanks for a great trip, guys!

Life's not so hard...
John MacKenzie
12/01/2009, Nanny Cay, Tortola, BVI

Life's not so hard, when you're on the hard. Today Windancer IV was hauled out of the water in Nanny Cay, Tortola, BVI and the bottom of the vessel was exposed to the air for the first time since before we took possession of her in April, 2008 - this is a good thing for a catamaran (I don't even want to discuss the reason why this is a good thing, if you figure it out, please send a note).

After maneuvering Windancer into possition at the travel lift, the operator raised the slings until the boat was held firm and sitting only a few inches higher in the water than normal. Connor and John jumped ashore from the port sugar scoop and we watched as our home was lifted into the air, moved over the dockyard and the small amount of algae growth was powerwashed off.

Then we wathced as Windancer was positioned in a spot in the yard adjacent to the water and power outlet - almost like being on the dock, except it's a lot harder if you jump off the bridge!

The kids love the concept of living up in the air!

Newer ]  |  [ Older ]


S/V Windancer IV
Who: John MacKenzie
Port: Edmonton, Canada
View Complete Profile »
Windancer IV - Side Block

Powered by SailBlogs

Custom Footer