Wind Dancer

The Burns Family Voyage of Discovery

06 October 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
04 October 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
03 October 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
01 October 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
30 September 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
29 September 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
28 September 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
26 September 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
26 September 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
25 September 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
23 September 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
21 September 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
21 September 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
19 September 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
19 September 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
18 September 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
17 September 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
16 September 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
15 September 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
13 September 2009 | Musket Cove, Malolo Lailai Island, Fiji

Spring Semester

28 September 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
30C, Partly Cloudy, Wind Calm
28/09/2009 0652UTC 17 40.828S 177 23.159E Day 839 Up at 0600, 24C, Partly Cloudy, Wind Calm.

[Above, winter break over, our students returned to their studies aboard today as spring semester began.]

[A new chapter has been added to Family Voyaging - Ak to nZ.

In 'The Goal,' come aboard Wind Dancer for an exhilarating and tempestuous passage, this one spanning the 1,300nm of open ocean from Tonga to New Zealand. A jolly sailor brings a fresh new dimension to the boat; the crew achieves its principal voyaging objective; and we discover that the land of Kiwis is upside down.

To read our book, and receive voyage planning assistance (VIP Service), go to the Family Voyaging website at www.familyvoyaging.com.]

"Crew Quarters"

1st Mate: The heat is on. Our few days of cool breeze have left and we are sweltering again. I did find a fan in town at some little Chinese store. It is bizarre, some sort of kiddie animal face, but it works. I have been doing a lot of small projects on the boat in the cooler part of the day and then jumping in the pool. I did manage to get a hair cut, a shag to keep me cooler. I made banana bread one day and gave a loaf to Mike and Liz s/v Argonaut who couldn't believe I baked in this heat. But it paid off as Liz made some great cinnamon rolls for us. The trick is to get up early. We have been doing lots of barbecuing to keep the heat out of the cabin. I have a tray of sweet and sour meatballs ready for tonight, yet baking and making rice may dissolve what is left of our melting bodies.

Many kids are gone and it was time to get ours back to school. We plan to take it slow and easy this week to recharge their brains and routine. 3rd Mate did some language arts and math today and is required to read everyday -- no matter what! 2nd Mate seemed to enjoy his new math book and is working on marine science via a great workbook about giant squid. Next week the kids will begin a research type project. They will work together and gather information from the Internet. Thanks to their Extended Learning teacher from Juneau, Barb Mitchell, they will have a chance to explore deeper into their new world. We feel very fortunate that Barb has offered to give them some great assignments and even look over their work. Because the kids want to go back to regular school in the fall (March) in NZ, we chose to not participate in another full year at Oak Meadow. If today is any indication, the kids are still intellectual sponges and will learn through any venue.

After four months here in Fiji we have already used up over half of our allotted time. This is when it gets hard as we are in a state of flux and really want to be settled. I reflected lately on how lucky we have been to have this journey together. Our kids were miracles to us as we tried many years to have them. Now we are thankful for that time waiting. We were able to do this adventure because they were younger and we were older. I have always felt that because they were miracle babies that we owed it to them to give them something that would be miraculous. I hope that in twenty years this will all be apparent to them in many ways.

2nd Mate: Wildlife seen yesterday and today: least tern, squaretail mullet, convict fish, crowned urchin, rock crab.

Yesterday, we hung out on the boat for awhile. S/v Coco Kai left for some more of the Fijian islands, but Coco watched a movie with us before she had to leave. Then, we went up to the pool with Bertie from s/v Cristal Voyage and swam around. Later, we all went back to the boat and played cards and watched a movie. After we were done, Bertie went back to his boat and we got ready for dinner. We finished the episode of the 'Jazz' series we started the other day for our family entertainment.

Today, I woke up around 0600. I played some on the Internet and read in the air-conditioned (fan) comfort of my room. We ate breakfast, got the table up, and started our schoolwork for the day. Yes, we've begun school once again. However, instead of using Oak Meadow curriculum, we're practicing our appropriate grade levels using workbooks we found in town. I'm studying Math with a math workbook, Science with Karunui's Tentacles (a book on squids) and How to be an Explorer of the World (a book on how to observe the world around you), and Social Studies and History with Tools of Navigation (a book on navigation throughout history). I worked on a little bit in each of these books for awhile, and then we went up to the pool with Bertie. We played some games and swam before drying off and going to our boats. Bertie just came over and we're now playing cards. We plan to watch 'Lady and the Tramp' tonight as our family movie.

Today's Fijian word: yadra = a greeting equal to 'good morning.'

3rd Mate: The weather today: partly cloudy, light wind, the high was 26C, the barometer is 1007 and falling, the moon is waxing towards full.

The other day I went to town with Coco and our moms. We went to the thrift store and found a really pretty skirt, a hot pink sequined belt, a blue hippy gauze shirt and another red gauze wraparound skirt/shawl. We all went to Chinese food at The Great Wall of China; it was yummy. We also bought some new DVDs -- 'Lady and the Tramp', 'The Lion King', 'Bounty' (because our old copy is scratched), 'Johnny English' and 'The Curious Case of Benjamin Button'. Coco left to sail the islands the next day and I miss her. I have been going to the pool everyday to cool off. Bertie our friend from New Zealand has been playing lots of card games with us and watching movies.

Today I started school again. I have a daily drill book; I reviewed common, proper and plural nouns. I have a Math 4 book that has Metric problems and addition/subtraction opposites. Pacific English today covered tenses, phonics, spelling and reading comprehension about rain and I got to draw the water cycle. I have a Spark Reader 4 that I have to read a story from and answer many questions. It was fun to do school again but I'll miss being a cruising bum.
Comments
Vessel Name: Wind Dancer
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 36 Sloop
Hailing Port: Juneau, Alaska
Crew: Chris Burns
About: 1st Mate Richelle Burns, 2nd Mate Grant Burns & 3rd Mate Grace Burns
Extra: The Burns Family Voyage of Discovery

Wind Dancer

Who: Chris Burns
Port: Juneau, Alaska
Family Voyaging - Ak to nZ
Click here to read our book

Click link above to access Family Voyaging - Ak to nZ