Wind Dancer

The Burns Family Voyage of Discovery

06 October 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
04 October 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
03 October 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
01 October 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
30 September 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
29 September 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
28 September 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
26 September 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
26 September 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
25 September 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
23 September 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
21 September 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
21 September 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
19 September 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
19 September 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
18 September 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
17 September 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
16 September 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
15 September 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
13 September 2009 | Musket Cove, Malolo Lailai Island, Fiji

Cruising Critters

16 September 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
28C, Partly Cloudy, Wind Calm
16/09/2009 0643UTC 17 40.828S 177 23.159E Day 827 Up at 0630, 26C, Partly Cloudy, Wind Calm.

[The Photo Gallery (Fiji) has been updated with a host of images from the 26th Annual Fiji Regatta Week, including Pirate's Day, Sand Bank Beach Party, Hobie Cat Challenge, Best Dressed Dinghy and Cabin Girl's promotion to 3rd Mate.

Above, a white-faced heron stalks its prey in the tall grass along a small Fijian stream.]

[To read our book, Family Voyaging - Ak to nZ, and receive personal voyage planning assistance (VIP Service) go to the Family Voyaging website at www.familyvoyaging.com.]

My sincere wish is that for our regular blog readers, the valiant and diligent efforts of 2nd Mate, our budding marine biologist, have not been in vain. His daily identification and categorization of maritime wildlife has supplied a solidifying element for our Voyage of Discovery. Wildlife classification mattered to Captain Cook and obviously to Charles Darwin; it mattered to H.G. Wells and Jules Verne whose fantastic novels were embellished by creatures of the natural world; it matters to us. 2nd Mate's daily inventory has reinforced the uniqueness of the biomes in which we've lived. And, traveling at five knots, the almost imperceptible ecological changes have tendered myriad surprises and a keen awareness of the environment.

Each evening, the crew sits down to write their blog entries. Consistently, one of the topics of discussion is the nature of wildlife we've seen during the day. 2nd Mate digs into his research books for proper recognition of the animals and plants observed. His assiduous endeavors are a highlight of the day; crewmembers vie for the opportunity to get an entry on his list. For those planning to follow in our wake, may we suggest that you appoint one of the crew as ship's naturalist -- you'll be generously rewarded throughout your voyage.

"Crew Quarters"

1st Mate: I managed to get all the laundry done yesterday. We had been gone for over two weeks and I had four loads. Luckily the marina has installed an extra washer and dryer so I had everything washed, dried, folded and put away in a few hours. It has been very hot and, as I always inform you, there is no breeze at Vuda Point. I went to the pool earlier in the day and then got to the laundry about 1400. We decided to eat out as it was too hot for me to cook. We ate at the yacht club and I had an excellent piece of grilled walu with salad. The kids both had a beef stir fry over noodles that was excellent and Captain was craving a cheeseburger. We got back to the boat in time to watch 3rd Mate's pick, 'The Shaggy Dog.' It was the new version and well done, but I still like the original best.

Today was shopping in Lautoka. We have run out of many items such as honey, syrup, cereal, milk and all fresh meats and produce. I did my usual run to the bakery, market and butcher. I also found some rechargeable batteries for our deck lights and school workbooks for the kids. We opted not to sign up for another full year at Oak Meadow because we hope to have our students enrolled in New Zealand schools by mid February. I just don't want them to be a few months behind and the workbooks will help to keep them fresh. The local bookstores have workbooks for all grades. I plan to get them going by 1 October but they are welcome to look at them now when there is nothing else to do. Many of their friends will be leaving for Vanuatu this week and it will be a good time to start studying.

I got back to the boat by 1500 and unloaded and stored all the goods. My hair looked like I just got out of the shower only it was that wet with sweat. I hate humidity! I went up to the pool and cooled off for awhile, which felt wonderful. I plan to make spaghetti and cheese bread for dinner. The kids are enjoying a fresh juicy orange as the market had them at three for $2FJD which is cheap.

2nd Mate: Wildlife seen today: least tern, squaretail mullet, rock crab.

Woke up around 0600. Now that we have good Internet, I am able to play my online game, Runescape, in the morning. So, I played some before eating breakfast. Then, I hung out and played with Grace. It was really humid today, so, after we ate lunch, we walked up to the pool so Grace could play with the s/v Meridian girls, and I could play with Abbey from s/v Kairos. We played volleyball and swam around for a bit, and hung out in the lawn chairs until we got close to sunburned. After that, we cooled off in the pool again and walked back to our boats. We're now resting and trying to keep cool until the sun goes down. We plan to play a family game of 'Scene It?: Classic Edition' tonight as our family entertainment.

Today's Fijian word: dadakulaci = Fiji's most common snake.

Cabin Girl: The weather today: variable clouds, light wind, the high was 28C, the barometer is 1009 and steady, the moon is waning towards new.

I woke up and had toast and eggs for breakfast. I watched 'The Brady Bunch' until lunchtime. After lunch, I went to the pool with Maddie and Sophie. They're leaving for Vanuatu tomorrow, so I wanted to play with them a lot. At the pool, we swam and played all kinds of games. Then Grant and Abbey came and they played volleyball. I went home and studied my new schoolbooks.
Comments
Vessel Name: Wind Dancer
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 36 Sloop
Hailing Port: Juneau, Alaska
Crew: Chris Burns
About: 1st Mate Richelle Burns, 2nd Mate Grant Burns & 3rd Mate Grace Burns
Extra: The Burns Family Voyage of Discovery

Wind Dancer

Who: Chris Burns
Port: Juneau, Alaska
Family Voyaging - Ak to nZ
Click here to read our book

Click link above to access Family Voyaging - Ak to nZ