Wind Dancer

The Burns Family Voyage of Discovery

06 October 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
04 October 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
03 October 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
01 October 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
30 September 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
29 September 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
28 September 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
26 September 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
26 September 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
25 September 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
23 September 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
21 September 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
21 September 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
19 September 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
19 September 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
18 September 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
17 September 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
16 September 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
15 September 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
13 September 2009 | Musket Cove, Malolo Lailai Island, Fiji

Cookin' with Gas

11 January 2008 | La Paz, Baja California Sur
74 Degrees, Clear, Calm
01/11/2008 11:52:34AM 24 12.911N 110 17.915W Day 216 Up this morning at 0715; 62 Degrees, Clear, Wind Calm.

[The Photo Gallery (Phase IV - La Paz/PJ Prep) has been updated with pictures from our field trip the other day: a barrel cactus in bloom, and Marina Costa Baja from the ridge north of us.]

Albeit most economic surprises on a voyage are in the "cha-ching!" category, propane has turned out to be the best deal going. We do all of our cooking -- stovetop and baking -- for what has averaged out to be around $6US a month. And, so far, obtaining refills has been simple. Here, for instance, we take an empty jug to the marina office one day and it is back, topped-off, the next. Wind Dancer has two propane bottles, the main tank (photo, above) and a "barbecue" tank. When the big one runs out, we switch to the BBQ jug until the next filling. The main tank lasts four to six weeks (even with holiday baking in the picture). The barbecue tank just ran out this morning -- its last fill-up was in Juneau before we left.

Now, we've seen other boats using wood, alcohol or diesel for their primary cooking fuels. Wood is scarce in some parts of the world (like here); alcohol, though favored by traditional sailors, burns too cool to quickly whip up a hot meal for a family after a hard day at sea; and people tell us that diesel stoves heat up the whole cabin before the chicken is done (you probably won't need cabin heat from Point Conception south). Of course, propane's primary disadvantage is found in its explosive nature. Wind Dancer's system incorporates a sealed propane locker that is vented overboard, an electrical solenoid that must be physically switched on before the gas will flow from the tank to the stove, and in the cabin is a LPG "sniffer" alarm that immediately senses free propane and then squeals like a stuck pig. Yes, something can fail; it's the unfortunate nature of technology. But if you keep the systems in good working order and follow basic safety precautions, you're unlikely to go blooey!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Wikipedia -- free information for the world! Wikipedia is a multilingual, web-based, free content encyclopedia project. Wikipedia is written collaboratively by volunteers; its articles can be edited by anyone with access to the web site.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

School this morning, a trip to town for the day, and we probably won't be back until late this evening. 2nd Mate and Cabin Girl are going to stay overnight aboard Theophilus anchored out in Bahia de La Paz. 1st Mate and I plan to have dinner with John and Mandy, and then go to Las Tres V�rgenes (The Three Virgins) restaurant/nightclub to listen to John play with a group there. So, an early, truncated post is all we can manage for this date.

The Puddle Jump. The next in our series of meetings with the crew of Gingi is on today's agenda. We're going to upload the new Atlas of Pilot Charts to their laptop, and continue our discussion on the best route to the Marquesas and how to proceed through the French bureaucracy when we arrive.
Comments
Vessel Name: Wind Dancer
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 36 Sloop
Hailing Port: Juneau, Alaska
Crew: Chris Burns
About: 1st Mate Richelle Burns, 2nd Mate Grant Burns & 3rd Mate Grace Burns
Extra: The Burns Family Voyage of Discovery

Wind Dancer

Who: Chris Burns
Port: Juneau, Alaska
Family Voyaging - Ak to nZ
Click here to read our book

Click link above to access Family Voyaging - Ak to nZ