Wind Dancer

The Burns Family Voyage of Discovery

06 October 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
04 October 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
03 October 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
01 October 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
30 September 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
29 September 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
28 September 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
26 September 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
26 September 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
25 September 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
23 September 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
21 September 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
21 September 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
19 September 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
19 September 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
18 September 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
17 September 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
16 September 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
15 September 2009 | Vuda Point, Fiji
13 September 2009 | Musket Cove, Malolo Lailai Island, Fiji

Smoothe as a Baby's...

24 August 2008 | Pago Pago Harbor, American Samoa
29C, Partly Cloudy, Wind ESE 15-25 Knots
25/08/2008 0048UTC 14 16.433S 170 41.620W Day 443 Up at 0700, 26C, Partly Cloudy, Wind ESE 10-20 Knots.

[Above, Samoan hookah divers prepare to clean Wind Dancer's hull.]

The accumulated growth on the hull is history. Most of it was at the waterline. There was algal 'hair' and small barnacles from the harbor, plus a colony of pelagic gooseneck barnacles picked up on the passage from Bora Bora. Two Samoan men, using a hookah, cleaned the waterline, the hull, rudder, shaft and propeller. This would have been a big chore for me in simple snorkeling gear. They did several of the boats in the harbor yesterday, and we were glad to get in on it.

A breezy night with gusts up into the 30s. Another new arrival -- the New Zealand vessel s/v Gail -- dragged anchor about 2130. They were drifting down on s/v Little Wing, who tried unsuccessfully to raise them on the radio. 1st Mate flashed a light on Gail, the crew eventually came on deck and realized they were dragging. They upped anchored and re-anchored in a new spot and seem to be holding there. Anytime there are 'newbies' in the harbor, we keep a close eye on them when the wind pipes up above 20 knots.

No new showers today, though we picked up another few litres of drinking water overnight. Today has been mostly sunny and the wind has stabilized at 15-20 knots, which is perfect for the DuoGen and makes the dinghy ride into town less sodden. The girls went to church this morning, while 2nd Mate and I stayed aboard to do the dishes and play a few card and board games. We enjoy our 'boys' time together.

We're planning to head up to the yacht club this afternoon for lunch and yarn spinning with our friends from s/v Tracen J and s/v Argonaut. We really like Mike, Liz, Jack & Marcia. Often times, cruising couples aren't that keen on spending time with us kid-boat people, but these four are always game to do stuff together. Meeting and chatting with new friends is such a joy. With all we have in common, especially the crews that endured the recent 'squash zone' heavy weather passage from Bora Bora, the discussions are lively and inherently interesting.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NAO, located in Wind Dancer's homeport, specializes in the waterproof gear you'll need to enjoy Southeast Alaska. However, NAO expands the theme beyond the basics and offers men's and women's clothing that reflects our Southeast sense of style. At Nugget Alaskan Outfitter you'll also find gear and gadgets that come in handy for life in this neck of the Woods.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


"Crew Quarters"

1st Mate: I had another good night's sleep. I stayed up late watching 'Alfred Hitchcock Presents.' We had no rain this morning. I made coffee, gave the kids cold cereal and Grant took Grace and I to shore. We showered and went to church. The service was mostly in Samoan again but I swear these people will be so blessed. The spirit is so strong it breaks through any language barrier. Grace was invited with the other children to go to Sunday school. Grace told me it was fun and they taught her "He has made me glad" in English and Samoan. My favorite was in English but new to me, "I don't know why you came but I am here to praise the Lord"; it pretty much sums it up for why we keep going to a church of another language.

We are planning to go to the yacht club with some friends for food and fellowship. Captain did the dishes while we were gone so I have no chores today. I am getting way too adjusted to this easy life. For those with envy, know that we will be heading out to sea very soon and no matter which direction we choose we will probably have a few rough days. But we will look forward to a new port.

I was so thrilled and thankful to get in on the bottom cleaning yesterday. I had spotted the dive boat at another vessel and managed to call in time to have them do ours, too. It was not cheap but I believe we were paying not just for the work but the danger of being in this water. I really was dreading the Captain cleaning in water that is not very clean and known for several species of sharks. So all done and we can mark off another list item.

2nd Mate: Wildlife seen today: frigate bird, gooseneck barnacles.

Woke up around 0600. I played a bit on the computer and Grace played a new game. We ate breakfast and played around. I ran Mom and Grace over to shore so they could go to church. I came back and played cards and 'Chutes and Ladders' with Dad. The girls came back and I finished my game with Grace. We're doing this early, so there's not much more to talk about, except that we're heading over to the yacht club for a late lunch later today. We plan to watch 'Meet the Fockers' tonight as our family movie.

Cabin Girl: The weather today: partly cloudy, moderate wind, the high was 30C, the barometer is 1011 and falling, the moon is waning towards new. Yesterday, I saw some divers dive. Today, I woke up and had cereal for breakfast. I played 'Spongebob Bowling.' Then I went to Sunday school at church. Then I went back to the boat and Grant and I pretended to perform an operation on my stuffed cat, Baby Purr. Then I started making a laptop out of paper.
Comments
Vessel Name: Wind Dancer
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 36 Sloop
Hailing Port: Juneau, Alaska
Crew: Chris Burns
About: 1st Mate Richelle Burns, 2nd Mate Grant Burns & 3rd Mate Grace Burns
Extra: The Burns Family Voyage of Discovery

Wind Dancer

Who: Chris Burns
Port: Juneau, Alaska
Family Voyaging - Ak to nZ
Click here to read our book

Click link above to access Family Voyaging - Ak to nZ