05/17/2013, Chaguramas Trinidad
So Last night Jill got woken up by the US Cost guard, as my stolen personal beacon got activated ..
I called the US coast guard and they told me the beacon location they had recieved ... Unfortunatally it was location a few miles off the coast of the city of Port of Spain.. I then called the Trinidad Coast Guard - but they never went out to look for the vessel ( Because the beacon is registered as stolen & Jill told them the same on the phone I assume ..)
Anyway - we didn't get "the guy" this time - but maybe next time ???
Hopfully next time they activate it it will be ashore .....
05/15/2013, Chaguramas Trinidad
The season is coming to an end ...
The Boat is out of the water and will be ready to go into secure storage by tomorrow evening.
Snorkeling was a bust yesterday afternoon, as the bay was "turned up" = you could not see 3 feet ...
To bad as this is a super nice spot for snorkeling....
We left Englishman's Bay short after 4AM this morning
This time condition's where settled outside the bay ( we where not met by +35knt's winds)
We sailed for a few hours with the winds coming over our stern at 120 + deg
It pretty soon became clear that we would not make it in time to Chaguaramas with the speed we where going, so after 5 hours of sailing, we packed up the main and turned on the iron wind = Motor sailing with just the jib
This brought us up to the "required" 7-7.5 knt's SOG
We passed a "guy" with a similar boat coming from the south end of Tobago - all sails- linens up - 2 head sails & main
He was going pretty good - but still he was nowhere to be seen after 3 hours
We ended up motor sailing the rest of the way to Trinidad
We docked at the marina around 4PM ... The marina at Crews Inn is bursting full (so are the other marinas .. busy times .. good thing we had a reservation) so we ended up on D-Dock with the big - really big boy's - our neighbor is probably 100 feet and worth a fortune- and so is the boat across from us ...
Sail's are already down and ready to be picked up by the sail maker - The jib needs some serious work this time - the sun cover around the edges is falling apart ..
05/08/2013, Bay of Man tobago
Our window for the sail to Tobago was looking pretty good a few days go - but had been "downgraded " over the past days.- Still it looked doable ....
We left Cliffton (Union island) around 5:30 AM (to crowded to leave during the night)
It started OK with winds in the east ... but it seemed like I had problems getting the boat dialed in ( that happens to me once in a while) .. we were only averaging
5.5 knt's SOG with 11-13 knt's wind on 60 degrees .. nowhere close to the 7 I was hoping for ...
Then it got worse - winds started turned "sour" = south on us.. based on the forecast, some of it was expected for a while but not 30 Deg off east and down to 9 knt's ????
I let it go for a while but once our heading clearly showed some "progress" towards the west (Trinidad) I had to turn on the engine ...
This was around 3PM 45miles into our 92mile run ... great ..
So we motor sailed for approx 4 hours until the winds turned north and we where able to sail again towards Tobago ...
.. I also finally got her going properly - averaging 7+ with reefs in main and Jib ....sometimes you just wonder ....
We dropped anchor short before midnight at Man of War Bay on the north end of Tobago.
This morning we checked in and got the Imigration / custom clearance for heading to Trinidad tomorrow.
We will spend the night at Englishman's Bay - just a few miles south of Charlotte ville
Looks like we will be heading to Union Island (Frigate Bay) today - see if we can get Jill on the Kiteboard for a few hours .. Then we might go back to the Keys for a day or so
Winds and swell look great for Tuesday May 7th for the trip south to Tobago (100% cloud cover , therfore we might sail it during the day)
We will end the season on the 9th with a downwind sail from Tobago to Trinidad (65 mile trip - hopefully this time without the heavy rain and the squalls from last year :-) )
04/30/2013, Bequia St Vincent
So for the second time this trip I had to take the outboard engine apart because of a stuck gear lever ..
The first time this happened in Antigua at the beginning of the trip , where the lever would just not move anymore ..
Back then, I was hoping this would fix it for the rest of the season - but I was wrong
In order to get to the gear lever you have to separate the engine from the drive unit..
( I also did have one "extra" part after I assembled the outboard in Antigue :-) .... and the part was related to the shifter arm .. that probably didn't help)
Anyway - Over the past weeks, it got harder and harder to use the shift lever - to the point where we could not disengage the gear without shutting off the engine....
That resulted in some rather embarrassing docking maneuvers ...
So today, I took the ouboard apart , cleaned it and then put it back together - With NO extra parts left out this time ....
I'm getting pretty good at this - the trick is not to drop anything into the water .....
It works like new now ....
I now also know what the problem is .. the plastic bushing on the lever is cracked in two places and therefore can expand when the engine heats up ..
New lever and adding a custom grease nipple to the unit should fix this "forever"
Winds are still the problem .... Today for the first time this season I'm running the engine to charge up my house battery bank :-(