Casting off

We are doing it!!! Ahhh cruising!

11 March 2015 | Black Point
10 March 2015 | Blackpoint
01 March 2015 | Pirates Beach
28 February 2015 | Pirates Beach
28 February 2015 | Pirates Beach
28 February 2015 | Big Major
26 February 2015 | Big Major
25 February 2015 | Sandy Cay
25 February 2015 | Near Big Major
24 February 2015 | Big Major
23 February 2015 | Big Major
23 February 2015 | Big Major spot
22 February 2015 | Big Major Spot, Stanial Cay
20 February 2015 | Pipe Creek
20 February 2015 | Stanial Cay
16 February 2015 | Stanial Cay
16 February 2015 | Stanial Cay Yatch Club
15 February 2015 | Big Major, Bahamas
12 February 2015 | Great Guana Cay

Pipe Creek anchorage

20 February 2015 | Pipe Creek
Ian windy sw 10-15knots
Hello,

After getting Kate from the airport, then plan is to rush to Pipe Creek, catch the rising tide, (1.5 hours before high) to get into the creek area. There are several shallow areas the chart say we cant get thru!!!!

A very fast sail up to Pipe Cay. we saw a broad reach and speeds to 7.6 knots!!! nice.....

We got to the anchorage, and found a spot but being it was in a tidal stream we had a peaceful but weird swing on the hook..... The following day was foretasted to have heavy wind coming from the NW 20 gust 30...The report on this anchorage was it was protected..... We figured we could hang out and explore.....

The next day, we take Kat to explore the clear waters, no lobster but lots of corals and baby conch!!!!

By the afternoon we try our hand at fishing.....using our conch slop we catch a couple of small Red eyes.....

As evening begins the winds roll in from the NW...a chop builds.....then...a swell...and the surge...by night fall we rocking and rolling and the anchor alarms is going off steadily!!!!

At full night we are getting gusts and steady wind Nw 25- gust 32....There is no sleep tonight..... Jenn and i are up all night on anchor watch!!!!

About 5 am engine on!!! we feel at any moment we will loose our tenacious hold on our anchor....the tide stream is so strong it has us sideways locked on our keel again, sideways to this howling wind.....

Yes its Fort Pierce all over again!!!!!!
The waves in this little area have fetched to about 2-3 feet, short and sharp!!!!!

The tide is not enough to let us escape...100 feet of chain is out and now its appears we have snagged 50 feet around something as we are cranking on the change but not in the direction to where we know the anchor is!!!!! (WTF!!!!)

Will the sun just come up so we can figure this mess out!!! The wind is not abating......

Its time to plan, a big Catamaran up anchors at first light, she goes wizzing past is search of safer water.....decision time!!!!!!

Holding tight.....???the clock to the right tide counts down...Go No go!

Again, (if you have some music cued this is the danger music in the back ground) we are seeing we have caught the keel on the change , the chain is definitely going in the wrong direction!!!!! Yep tiem to change this mess..

Plan, back out from chain. Windlass in chain and see if we can change anything!!!! Yep... no,,,, the current again snags us....This is getting bad....Nerves are fried....and of course fatigue is the problem.....

Quick check tides is barely where we need it, yes i can up anchor and hide as least behind Rat Cay.... That's it , enough is enough...

We crank the chain as best we can to free of the snag, Bang we loose of the snag, our new pressure on the anchor hits,,, we loose our hold!!! Adrift!!!

Our strategy is fluid.....Jenn backs the boat against the current I crank,,,Kate is made voice relay as our 2 way radios fail....the wind is howling and she cant hear....... Finally we have the anchor in and we are off!!! Hide, stay...

Heck with this....back to Big Major to wait out the next round of howly wind....

Sorry to say but Pipe Creek is so interesting....but safety and sanity need to be dealt with!!!!!

Once we get back in and safely at anchor a well deserved alcohol debrief and naps were had by crew.....

So for now, Lost Puppy and her crew are safe at Big Major

Hopefully we can get some of Kate's picture uploaded.....

Signing off for now..
I


Comments
Vessel Name: Windreaper and Lost Puppy
Vessel Make/Model: Northstar 22, Kelly Peterson 44
Hailing Port: Midland
Crew: Ian and Jennifer
About: Jobs, officially gone, we moved Lost Puppy to Florida, our life begins again!!!! We have made so many friends in our boating experience so far and hope to enjoy more in the future, we are looking forward to letting go the dock lines and find what adventure awaits, somewhere! out there.....
Extra: So now we are in the Bahamas!!!

s/v Windreaper & Lost Puppy

Who: Ian and Jennifer
Port: Midland