SV Windrifter42

Vessel Name: Windrifter
Vessel Make/Model: Westsail 42
Hailing Port: Portland, Maine
22 September 2014 | Boston, Massachusetts
22 September 2014 | Boston, Massachusetts
13 April 2014 | Charlestown
16 December 2013 | Boston, Massachusetts
03 October 2013 | Boston
03 October 2013 | Boston, Massachusetts
23 April 2013 | Boston, MA
23 April 2013 | Boston, MA
28 January 2013 | Boston, MA
28 January 2013 | Boston, MA
28 January 2013 | Boston, MA
04 December 2012 | Boston, MA
04 December 2012 | Boston, MA
28 November 2012 | Boston, MA
28 November 2012 | Boston, MA
18 October 2012 | Charlestown Navy Yard, Boston, MA
18 October 2012 | Boston, MA
01 September 2012 | Boothbay, Maine
01 September 2012 | Boothbay, Maine
Recent Blog Posts
22 September 2014 | Boston, Massachusetts

Ah! New Bottom Paint

We just repainted the bottom, finally switching from the dull-but-functional black to bright and flashy and hopefully also functional red.

22 September 2014 | Boston, Massachusetts

Boston Harbor

Here we are sailing down Boston Harbor. Photo courtesy of Ben Carey of Sailing Simplicity http://sailingsimplicity.com. Thanks, Ben!

13 April 2014 | Charlestown

Spring Arrives

After a bitter winter, we big goodbuy to our shrinkwrap for another year

16 December 2013 | Boston, Massachusetts

Shrinkwrap season again

Weather is getting colder ...

03 October 2013 | Boston

PlanetSolar Visits Boston

Earlier this year we were fortunate to visit onboard the PlanetSolar boat when she called in Boston. She is the first boat to circumnavigate entirely solar powered with electric engines.

03 October 2013 | Boston, Massachusetts

July 4 - Turning Around the U.S.S. Constitution

"Old Ironsides" out for her July 4th trip to greet well-wishers and to turn her in her berth.

Hot Time in the City

04 December 2012 | Boston, MA
I think I have mentioned this before, but one of the loveliest of perks here at Constitution Marina is the heated swimming pool. I wasn't sure why the marina would offer such a luxury in the winter - we are after all paying a rather discount rate compared to the summer. Well, I finally learned why. It seems that the pool is built into the deck of the boathouse/main office, close to water level. So, as the tide rises (and we get pretty big tides here), the pool could actually be pushed up out of the deck and during extreme tides float away (or more likely sink). To keep the pool "down" where it should be, they need to keep it filled with water - umm I guess any cleaning must take place quickly at low tide. And happily for us boaters since it has to be filled with water - it also needs to be heated in the winter so the pipes and machinery don't freeze. So if you are going to heat the pool anyway - why not heat it a lot. So on Friday evenings the heat is turned way, way up. The steam rises and the boaters arrive around 6 p.m. and stay until about 8 or 9 p.m. This past Friday we had about 20 people in the pool (well I think that number since its hard to see clearly as the steam fills the room) enjoying one of the best ways to end a long, cold week. In some ways, it reminds me of the heated municipal pools and the famed Blue Lagoon in Iceland, which I hope we will get to visit on Windrifter someday. PS Yes, the run from the pool to the next door shower room is a bit nippy, but worth it.
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups