Windrush Adventures

02 April 2013 | Hoffman Cay, Berry Islands
19 March 2013 | Darby Is. Exumas
25 February 2013 | Hog Cay, Ragged Islands
06 February 2013 | Salt Pond, Long Is.
28 January 2013 | Hog Cay, Ragged Islands
01 January 2013 | Georgetown
12 December 2012 | Georgetown
22 November 2012 | Norman's Cay
16 November 2012 | Hurricane Harbour, Key Biscayne
04 November 2012 | Titusville
27 April 2012
16 April 2012 | West End, Grand Bahama
31 March 2012 | Bullock's Harbour, Berry Is.
09 March 2012 | Nassau, Bahamas
18 February 2012 | Georgetown, Exumas
26 January 2012 | Salt Pond, Long Is.
01 January 2012 | Georgetown, Exumas
31 December 2011 | Georgetown, Exumas
08 December 2011 | Lee Stocking Is., Exumas
30 November 2011

The lost are found

25 February 2013 | Hog Cay, Ragged Islands
Val
So, we raised the anchor to leave Salt Pond, Long Island a bit later than planned, as the propane man didn't arrive until almost 2pm instead of noon - no surprise there. Island time mon!! By the time we motor sailed to Dollar Harbour and dropped the anchor it was dark and we were both a little nervous. No problems though. We were anxious to start the sail back to the Jumentos and Ragged Islands the next day and got a good early start with high hopes of catching Mahi Mahi as we trolled on the way. Around this time last year we had caught big Mahi Mahi on the way, but luck wasn't with us this time and all we caught was a baby barracuda and a plastic bag!! We really did try to catch you a big fish for your birthday Kirsty! Quite disappointed, we anchored for the night at Flamingo Cay where we were able to make contact with Sam the Skull on the radio. They were heading back to our favourite Bahamian cruising grounds from their visit to Georgetown and we arranged to meet up with them the following afternoon at Double Breasted Cay.
"The gang's all here" - Nighthawk, Sam the Skull and Windrush, back together at Double Breasted Cay in the Raggeds. That evening we gathered on Windrush for drinks and snacks and to catch up on news. By bedtime we were tired, but it was fun to see everyone again. Next day whilst listening to the cruisers net, we learned that 3 young men were missing from Duncantown, Ragged Island. One of them was the son of Maxine, the lady who runs the grocery store in Duncantown and is a great help to the cruisers in bringing in supplies for them. She also is the main organizer for the annual Valentine party held by the people of Duncantown on Hog Cay for the cruisers. It is also a fundraiser for the Duncantown school. The 3 men were in an open 'go-fast' boat returning from a trip to Nassau. The last contact with them was at 10:30pm the following evening as they were going through the cut between Great and Little Exuma. So they should have arrived back in Duncantown later that night, but obviously they hadn't shown up and efforts to contact them hadn't been successful. So, the waiting game began.
Before the men went missing, Maxine who owned Hog Cay, decided that she wanted a proper building built on the beach of Hog Cay in time for the Valentines day party. Not a closed in building, more of a large Tiki hut that could be used to serve the food in at the party and also for people to use for get togethers when anchored there. She put her brother Edward (not Edwin, which is what everyone had previously thought he was called)in charge of the construction and had wood shipped in from Nassau. The cruisers were also set to help him. Bruce went to see what was going on one day after returning from fishing and found himself up on the roof with Edward hammering in nails! He was pretty tired that evening when he finally got back to the boat!
We decided the next day to go to Raccoon for a couple of days. The boys wanted new fishing grounds, also the winds had changed and we were rolling quite a bit at the anchorage. While at Raccoon, I took some good pics of Bruce feeding 3 reef sharks off the back steps while cleaning conch. They got a bit too inquisitive so he hit one of them with a conch shell (threw it!) and off it went.......for a moment! No swimming then! Each morning we'd listen to the net (they have a web site - bigdumbboat.com - where you can listen to audio of where we are plus many other neat things to do with the cruisers in this area) to hear about the missing men. Still nothing heard of them though. After a couple of days we island hopped back to Double Breasted. I started getting serious about weaving something with the palm fronds and did make a coozie (a sleeve to put around drink cans or wine bottles etc.) to fit a wine bottle - not bad for a first effort. Then I made a little container with a lid to keep our toothpicks in - exciting stuff!! Haven't done much jewelry so far this trip as I can't seem to get in the mood - although I have been keeping my eyes open for sea glass and have found one or two good pieces, which I should be able to make something with. I have also been trying out my 'Dremel' tool. We used it to make a conch horn with - one for us and one for Barbara and John - they actually work! Now we have to practice. Besides all these crafty things I have gone beach walking with the girls and also with Bruce when he and the boys are tired of fishing together.
Valentines day (and my birthday) finally came around. I had a lovely day. I was given a new hat and a box of pecan caramel chocolates from Bruce - both of which were the 2 things I had asked for. Also he gave me a bright new fishing lure guaranteed to catch Mahi Mahi the next time we tried!! For lunch I had delicious BBQ'd ribs, which my loving husband made for me. We went on a beach walk together around the end of the island and back and returned to the boat in time for a bit of a rest before company came over to Windrush for a birthday get together. Nighthawk and Sam the Skull came. Also Bob and Vicki from 'First Look' who Bruce and I had just met. The best news of the day though, was that the 3 missing men had been found, safe and well!
Bad weather was approaching. High winds and rain were expected to hit on the evening of the 16th (Saturday). Time for the Valentines day party though the day before it was due to arrive. Nighthawk headed off to an anchorage a little further north ready to ride out the storm, instead of staying for the party. Sam the skull and Windrush stayed to party! It was a really good time. The townspeople provided (with a government grant), turkey, ham, peas 'n rice, yellow rice, mac 'n cheese, salad, coleslaw, dessert and free beer. All for $20 per person! I think all the townspeople were there, including the children. We had music and everything, and a great time was had by all. Early the next morning almost all the boats set out for a more sheltered, safer anchorage. A lot of the boats went to South Side Bay at the end of Ragged Island - us included. The storm started later that evening and continued through the night and it remained quite windy the next day. It was an interesting night, to say the least! A couple of boats dragged their anchors and there was a collision. One boat collided with 2 others. It made for interesting listening on the radio! We were in no danger though and our anchor held well. Bruce usually goes down and checks the anchor if we arte expecting high winds. We stayed in South Side Bay for 2 days and nights and then the wind changed a bit and we started rolling, so we moved just around the corner to Coco Bay. A couple of days later when the weather was back to normal we lifted the anchor again and Sam the Skull and Windrush sailed to Buena Vista Cay for a while. We met a new couple there that John and Barbara had met last year in Georgetown. An English couple from London called Barbara (a popular name) and Andy on the sailing cat. 'Ptarmigan'. Ptarmigan was planning to go to Cuba with one of the boats involved in the collision at South Side Bay, but were in the process of changing their minds about travelling with them as they found they didn't get on too well together after all. We had dinner on Sam the Skull one evening - Beef tenderloin and then a couple of days later we all had dinner on Ptarmigan - BBQ'd pork. Both dinners were delicious and a nice change from seafood! Mum and Dad, on your anniversary I actually went Kayaking with the 2 Barbaras. I borrowed a Kayak from Ptarmigan, and had a great time!! A kayak is now on my wish list. Unfortunately we didn't get a picture of me in the kayak. We all toasted you on your anniversary - 62 years and still going strong!
Well, that's all for now. I will try and update again soon. We are safe and well and still enjoying ourselves!
Comments
Vessel Name: Windrush
Vessel Make/Model: PDQ 36 Classic
Hailing Port: Lunenburg, NS Canada
Crew: Bruce & Val Marshall
About:
Retired now and Bruce and Val are again heading back to the warm Caribbean on their new pride and joy..... Windrush. She’s a 1999 PDQ 36 Classic catamaran that was purchased in September of ’09 from Rick and Pam Kilmer of Punta Gorda. [...]

Master & Commander

Who: Bruce & Val Marshall
Port: Lunenburg, NS Canada