Windrush Adventures

02 April 2013 | Hoffman Cay, Berry Islands
19 March 2013 | Darby Is. Exumas
25 February 2013 | Hog Cay, Ragged Islands
06 February 2013 | Salt Pond, Long Is.
28 January 2013 | Hog Cay, Ragged Islands
01 January 2013 | Georgetown
12 December 2012 | Georgetown
22 November 2012 | Norman's Cay
16 November 2012 | Hurricane Harbour, Key Biscayne
04 November 2012 | Titusville
27 April 2012
16 April 2012 | West End, Grand Bahama
31 March 2012 | Bullock's Harbour, Berry Is.
09 March 2012 | Nassau, Bahamas
18 February 2012 | Georgetown, Exumas
26 January 2012 | Salt Pond, Long Is.
01 January 2012 | Georgetown, Exumas
31 December 2011 | Georgetown, Exumas
08 December 2011 | Lee Stocking Is., Exumas
30 November 2011

And we’re off!

04 November 2012 | Titusville
Val
Our 3rd season going south started early on the morning of Monday Oct. 15th when we left Kirsty and Shawn’s house to start our drive to the US. We had left our house the evening before, to stay with them for the night, so that we could leave our home ready for the house sitter to move in. We had a lovely evening at Kirsty and Shawn’s. Geoff and Emily were there also for a lovely supper and it was wonderful to have the family together our last evening before hitting the road.
No problem at all when we crossed the border into the US at Calais, Maine. We took 3 days to drive to Titusville, Florida staying overnight in motels at Portsmouth and Roanoke Rapids. We arrived at Westland Marina in Titusville to find Windrush waiting for us looking fantastic though somewhat covered in bird poop and berry seeds (also dropped onto her decks by those same birds)! Hundreds of grackles perched everywhere and making quite a noise! A nasty bunch of hornets had also made themselves at home, building a nest just inside one of the rear hatches. When Bruce open the hatch and stepped back one of them made a beeline(!) at me and stung me on the finger!! No ill effects from it though. We were exhausted from the drive south so decided to stay one more night in a motel so that we were fresh and raring to go the next morning, eager to get Windrush “ship-shape” and ready to put into the water.
Work, work, work! With the Yamaha people coming in 2 days time (Friday) while the boat was still on the hard and then the Mac Sails people coming on the following Tuesday by which time she had to be in the water, plus getting her ready to live in there was much to do! We were ready though bright and early on Monday morning (Oct.22nd) When Rick, Robert and the marina crew arrived with the hoist to put Windrush into the water. Unfortunately we didn’t have any engines, as the Yamaha people took them both away on the previous Friday to repair the automatic tilt lift on the starboard engine and to give them both a good overhaul. As it turned out this was a long term project! Plenty of jobs on the boat chore list though to keep us occupied. Also provisioning to do for the season. The manatees kept us amused as well – at least 36 at one count! I really enjoy watching them – they make me smile!
Mac Sails arrived as planned on Tuesday and fitted our lovely new mainsail – cut with a fuller roach than the original so that it rubs against the backstay when it moves. This was cause for some concern, but we were assured by the rep. that this was the way they were cutting them now and they had fitted a few PDQ’s with them and that everything was just fine. So……….time will tell. We also bought a Mac Pac for the main sail to drop into each time it is lowered. We fitted that ourselves one day while still waiting for our engines. I also sewed the boat name in gold coloured letters onto each side of the Mac Pac – looks REALLY good! Another sewing project was to repair and improve the sunshade that we put up at the back of the cockpit – a big improvement in many ways over how it was when we had finished it.
Hurricane Sandy decided to pass us on Friday Oct. 26th and we had loads of high winds and rain to contend with, but nothing in comparison to the effects of Sandy on New York and it’s surrounding areas. Those poor people! It was actually quite fortunate that we didn’t have our engines as we would likely have been out on the water somewhere during Sandy. The Bahamas also were hit badly yet again by this hurricane. Our engines finally arrived back to us and were re-installed on Friday Nov. 2nd. That evening we had a very nice supper at our friend Rich Tanner’s house just outside of Titusville along with our friends Dave and Ann (PDQ Next Exit). Rich and his two cats. Eb and Flo are the owners of the PDQ ‘Feral Cat’ and we met them during last seasons cruise.We were going to leave Westland the following day, but decided to stay until Sunday as on Saturday Robert from the marina was putting on a BBQ chicken lunch and we decided we just couldn’t miss that! Bright and early though, this (Sunday) morning we were on our way! Engines purring along nicely down the ICW.
Comments
Vessel Name: Windrush
Vessel Make/Model: PDQ 36 Classic
Hailing Port: Lunenburg, NS Canada
Crew: Bruce & Val Marshall
About:
Retired now and Bruce and Val are again heading back to the warm Caribbean on their new pride and joy..... Windrush. She’s a 1999 PDQ 36 Classic catamaran that was purchased in September of ’09 from Rick and Pam Kilmer of Punta Gorda. [...]

Master & Commander

Who: Bruce & Val Marshall
Port: Lunenburg, NS Canada