Favorite Links
No Links Added Yet

SailBlog

Vessel Name: WINDS ALOFT
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 380
Hailing Port: Newport OR
Crew: Casey & Laurilea Gibbs / Ron Gibbs
About: Chillin' and enjoying the cruisin' lifestyle
04 July 2009 | Norfolk
07 June 2009 | 27 51.6'N:79 18.5'W, Off the coast of Florida (Way Off!)
30 May 2009 | 23 30.2'N:75 46.0'W,
18 May 2009 | Providentiales
12 May 2009 | 21 19.3'N:71 38.9'W,
09 May 2009 | 20 19.8'N:67 56.2'E, On the Atlantic Ocean (Again)
09 May 2009 | 20 06.6'N:67 42.0'W,
09 May 2009 | 20 06.6'N:67 42.0'W,
03 May 2009 | 18 25.5'N:64 39.6'W,
20 March 2009 | Various
08 March 2009 | Simpson Bay, St. Maarten
27 February 2009 | 18 02.0'N:63 05.4'W, Simpson Bay Marina, Sint Maarten
16 February 2009 | 18 02.0'N:63 05.4'W, Simpson Bay Marina, Sint Maarten
08 February 2009 | 18 02.0'N:63 05.4'W, Simpson Bay Marina, Sint Maarten
30 January 2009 | 18 00.0'N:63 'W, Sint Maarten
28 January 2009
27 January 2009
26 January 2009 | 18 27.4'N:55 27.4'W, Somewhere in the Atlantic
25 January 2009
24 January 2009
Recent Blog Posts
04 July 2009 | Norfolk

Joined the Navy Again

I've been terribly lacking regarding keeping up with this since we've gotten cell phone coverage. So sorry!

07 June 2009 | 27 51.6'N:79 18.5'W, Off the coast of Florida (Way Off!)

Last Leg to the US

We launched out of Port Lucaya, North Bahamas last evening. Our 17:00 start turned into an 18:00 start when we discovered the main halyard had somehow wrapped the hailing horn and would not allow the main sail to raise. We returned to the marina area and Ryan volunteered to go up the mast to free it. A quick job and we were off again... Then about 21:00 we got hit by a squall. Winds came out of the north at about 35 kts. LL and Marsha were on watch, but fortunately they got me up just in time to get the sails furled before the wind hit! We ended up motoring most of the night until about 03:00, due to fluky winds. Today is nice- cumulus clouds with some thumderheads building on the horizons. We're under the full main and genaker and making mid 7's for speed. Gotta love it! At this pace we'll make Charleston in less that 48 hours. That will give everybody a day to get their land legs back and maybe do a Charleston tour before the creww heads en-mass to SEA, leaving the capt all alone. Still haven't decided if I'm going to try to continue to move the boat northward ar just leave in in Charleston for a few weeks. Any volunteers for crew? Send your resume via email!

30 May 2009 | 23 30.2'N:75 46.0'W,

Georgetown, Exumas in the Bahamas

Hey everyone! Guest author Ryan is writing in the blog today to let you know how the voyage goes!

More From the Islands

20 March 2009 | Various
Wow... It's so hard to keep up with this when you're off sailing around or at the beach every day! Actually, I just say that to make everybody think that's what our life is about these days. The truth is, it seems there are more boat projects than leisure in our life.
We did, however, just finish a several day sail around some of the islands here. First stop was Anguilla- Road Bay, then Crocus Bay, with a sail to Prickly Pear Cay and Dog Island. From there we sailed back to St. Martin (note the different spelling) French side and spent a night in Marigot, which really is a 15 minute dinghy ride from where we started! We had to do it to check in with the French side to visit the north and east sides of the island... Crazy rules around this island!
Anyhow, from there we went around the north side to Pinel Island. This is a VERY picturesque spot, and was Laurilea's favorite spot. It's the perfect tropical island with white sand beaches, azure water, palm trees and a bar to quench your thirst after working on your tan, located in Orient Bay... We spent a night anchored there.
Next day we were off to St. Barths on a rollicking sail. Weather was windy and rainy, so we started out with one reef in; then ended up putting in the second reef as the wind picked up. It was definitely an experience for Ryan. He'd never seen waves that high! Ron and Casey got totally soaked at the helm station from the rain and the occasional wave splash over the boat. We anchored that night at Columbier Bay on St Barths, where we hiked a trail across the island to a town called (are you ready?), Columbier! Next day we cruised down the Gustavia, anchored out in Corossol Bay and checked into the country. St. Barths is also French, but of course they have their own government to support with cruiser Euros! The girls loved the cute little town with the red roofs, and the fact that it was SO clean! This is where the rich and famous go to see and be seen, so you can imagine the prices here... The store names read like a listing of 5th Avenue in New York and downtown Paris... We visited town a couple of days and went to a cute, tiny beach just outside town called Shell Beach. It's located in a tiny bay that somehow seems to funnel all the shells from the area onto the beach. There are spots on the beach where the shells are a foot or two deep! Laurilea added a few pretty ones to her collection here...
Next day we were off to Fourchue Island, which is still part of St. Barths, but on the way to St. Maarten (again with the spelling- Dutch side!) We spent another, unplanned night here just because we wanted to. The snorkeling was better here than anywhere else we've tried so far. We saw several turtles just hanging around munching on seaweed. Ryan borrowed my underwater housing and got some good shots of them. He then hiked up the tallest hill around and took some pictures from there.
Early next morning saw us head for Simpson Bay again. Laurilea was glad to be "home" again. She says it's because she likes to see our new friends, but I know the real reason is she is glad to be hooked up to unlimited water and electricity!
BTW- more photos have been added so check them out...
Comments
Current Position
WINDS ALOFT's Photos - Castles (Main)
Photos 1 to 7 of 7
1
View from the Schloss (castle) Neuschwanstein.  You can see why they built it here!
Front door of the Schloss Neuschwanstein.
One of the Schloss Neuschwanstein towers.
Another castle nearby- Schloss Hohenschwangau.  King Maximimillian
View from Hohenwchwangau...
View from Hohenwchwangau...
Near tower is Schloss Hohenwchwangau, with Schloss Neuschwanstein in the background.
 
1
Some shots of Portugal and La Graciosa Island & Lanzarote Island
12 Photos
Created 3 January 2009
8 Photos
Created 1 December 2008
3 Photos | 8 Sub-Albums
Created 4 November 2008

About & Links

Favorite Links
No Links Added Yet