|Vessel Name:||WINDS ALOFT|
|Vessel Make/Model:||Lagoon 380|
|Hailing Port:||Newport OR|
|Crew:||Casey & Laurilea Gibbs / Ron Gibbs|
|About:||Chillin' and enjoying the cruisin' lifestyle|
I've been terribly lacking regarding keeping up with this since we've gotten cell phone coverage. So sorry!
We launched out of Port Lucaya, North Bahamas last evening. Our 17:00 start turned into an 18:00 start when we discovered the main halyard had somehow wrapped the hailing horn and would not allow the main sail to raise. We returned to the marina area and Ryan volunteered to go up the mast to free it. A quick job and we were off again... Then about 21:00 we got hit by a squall. Winds came out of the north at about 35 kts. LL and Marsha were on watch, but fortunately they got me up just in time to get the sails furled before the wind hit! We ended up motoring most of the night until about 03:00, due to fluky winds. Today is nice- cumulus clouds with some thumderheads building on the horizons. We're under the full main and genaker and making mid 7's for speed. Gotta love it! At this pace we'll make Charleston in less that 48 hours. That will give everybody a day to get their land legs back and maybe do a Charleston tour before the creww heads en-mass to SEA, leaving the capt all alone. Still haven't decided if I'm going to try to continue to move the boat northward ar just leave in in Charleston for a few weeks. Any volunteers for crew? Send your resume via email!
Hey everyone! Guest author Ryan is writing in the blog today to let you know how the voyage goes!