Voyages

These are the voyages of the sailing vessel, Wings.

19 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
15 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
13 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
11 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
07 September 2023 | Apooiti Bay
03 September 2023 | Tapuamu, Taha'a
02 September 2023 | Tapuamu, Taha'a
31 August 2023 | Haamene Bay, Taha'a
29 August 2023 | Relais Mehana Hotel, Huahine
26 August 2023 | Fare, Huahine
19 August 2023 | Aloe Cafe, Viatape
13 August 2023 | Aloe Cafe, Viatape
11 August 2023 | Apooiti Bay mooring field
08 August 2023
08 August 2023 | Apooiti Bay, Raiatea
05 August 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
01 August 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
31 July 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
28 July 2023 | Orion Guest House

A Tough Day

20 March 2013 | Marina Palmira, La Paz, Mexico
Tough Day

It's been a productive but frustrating day. Although we've gotten a lot of small tasks completed, several items have broken that we weren't expecting to break and that's caused us to spend time "in reverse", repairing old rather than fixing new. Sigh.

We installed our main sail and the "Lazy Bag" that is its cover. We got the solar panels wired and the solar controller working, not an easy task although it should have been. While down in the "man cave", i accidentally knocked off the flux gate ccmpass. Damn! I had to re-epoxy that device, as well as the mounting for the solar charger: working in reverse.

Conni and Chip got the cap rail taped for varnishing. Tomorrow, our rigger will return and get the wind instrument re-rigged. When sailing so far, knowing what the wind and direction are is important. We'll also get the radar reflector installed while the guy's here, saving me a long trip up the mast.

Our water maker friend, Tom, has arranged to have a mechanic drop by the boat to deal with the injectors. That will save me a lot of effort. He'll remove the old injectors, install the newly-rebuilt ones, and have the old one rebuilt. We'll take them with us.

Econaviara, our importers, have sworn that the whisker pole will arrive tomorrow afternoon. That remains to be seen.

To legally leave Mexico one needs a "zarpe", a combination health certificate, port captain's permission, and immigration clearance. A Mexican doctor will be shuttled to the boat for a health inspection, and the document will cost us US$300, but things will come to us instead of our hunting all of these offices ourselves. Once issued, we'll have 48 hours to clear from Mexico. So, we're getting very close to leaving: definitely within four days, perhaps sooner.

Tomorrow, we'll have a lot to do and we'll have a lot to of important tasks completed.
Comments
Vessel Name: Wings
Vessel Make/Model: Passport 40
Hailing Port: Anchorage, Alaska
Crew: William Ennis and Constance Livsey
About: We've been married since 1991, and both retired from our respective jobs (teacher and attorney) after long careers. We live in the most exotic of the United States: Alaska. We cruise on Wings for half the year, enjoying our home state the other part of the year.
Extra:
We've sailed Wings Southward from Alaska since August, 2010. We joined the BajaHaha from SoCal to Mexico in 2012. We joined the Pacific Puddle Jump in 2013 and crossed the Pacific Ocean. Wings "over-summered" in French Polynesia. We continued our journey through western French Polynesia, [...]
Home Page: http://svwings.com
Wings's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.