Voyages

These are the voyages of the sailing vessel, Wings.

19 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
15 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
13 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
11 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
07 September 2023 | Apooiti Bay
03 September 2023 | Tapuamu, Taha'a
02 September 2023 | Tapuamu, Taha'a
31 August 2023 | Haamene Bay, Taha'a
29 August 2023 | Relais Mehana Hotel, Huahine
26 August 2023 | Fare, Huahine
19 August 2023 | Aloe Cafe, Viatape
13 August 2023 | Aloe Cafe, Viatape
11 August 2023 | Apooiti Bay mooring field
08 August 2023
08 August 2023 | Apooiti Bay, Raiatea
05 August 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
01 August 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
31 July 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
28 July 2023 | Orion Guest House

Five and counting

16 April 2014 | Anchorage
Bill in anticipation
Here we are, only five days from leaving. Our agent in Papeete has acquired our duty-free-fuel permit and our bond exemption letters. French Polynesia, as it turns out, doesn't wish to return visitors to their home countries, so if one does not have a return ticket from French Polynesia, one pays a bond equal to that ticket's value. Our agent paid the bond and we pay him a lesser sum for the exemption.

Our crew, Nathan Zelgler, will join us in Papeete (5/10) after we've prepared the boat and sailed her to Papeete. We'll probably fetch our new outboard there, too. Those of you who have been following know that we bought a 2014, 4-cycle, 6 HP Mercury short shaft outboard from STH in Papeete: it was easier than trying to ship one from the US but more expensive.

Nathan will tour Tahiti, Moorea (18 nm away), and Bora Bora (130 nm away) with us (about a week's worth of sight-seeing), then we'll check out of French Polynesia and head for the Cook Islands (542 nm). That's about 5 days for us and another crew makes a huge difference in the duration of our watches.

Nathan leaves us on Rarotonga on 5/25 and we'll stay a few more days, leaving for the single-island country of Niue, about 587 nm away. We'll arrive about 6/3 and we'll spend a few days resting and exploring Niue.

On 6/6, we'll leave Niue for the Kingdom of Tonga island of Vava'u, an island in northern Tonga, about 232 nm away.

We'll rest and explore Vava'u for a few days, then head for Fiji by way of Lakeba in the Lau Group of islands, about 280 nm away. There's no marina so we'll just anchor in the lee of the island using our new anchor.

After resting the night, we'll leave for Gau Island, about 111 nm away, where we'll again anchor in the island's lee and rest the night. Fiji is a mere 120 nm away from Gau, so we'll arrive in Fiji on or about 6/19 or 20. We've got arrangements made to leave the boat in Vuda Point Marina in one of their famous hull trenches. They have holes dug in the sand and they gently lower the boat's keel into the hole until the hull rests on tires surrounding the hole. No falling boat!

We leave for LA from the nearby Nadi International Airport.

So, that's the trip. Of the nine weeks, two are spent preparing and dismantling the boat (Raiatea on one end, Fiji on the other), and three weeks spent in crossings. Although it's not the 23-1/2 days it required to reach the South Pacific but it's a lot.

Back to packing...
Comments
Vessel Name: Wings
Vessel Make/Model: Passport 40
Hailing Port: Anchorage, Alaska
Crew: William Ennis and Constance Livsey
About: We've been married since 1991, and both retired from our respective jobs (teacher and attorney) after long careers. We live in the most exotic of the United States: Alaska. We cruise on Wings for half the year, enjoying our home state the other part of the year.
Extra:
We've sailed Wings Southward from Alaska since August, 2010. We joined the BajaHaha from SoCal to Mexico in 2012. We joined the Pacific Puddle Jump in 2013 and crossed the Pacific Ocean. Wings "over-summered" in French Polynesia. We continued our journey through western French Polynesia, [...]
Home Page: http://svwings.com
Wings's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.