Voyages

These are the voyages of the sailing vessel, Wings.

19 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
15 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
13 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
11 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
07 September 2023 | Apooiti Bay
03 September 2023 | Tapuamu, Taha'a
02 September 2023 | Tapuamu, Taha'a
31 August 2023 | Haamene Bay, Taha'a
29 August 2023 | Relais Mehana Hotel, Huahine
26 August 2023 | Fare, Huahine
19 August 2023 | Aloe Cafe, Viatape
13 August 2023 | Aloe Cafe, Viatape
11 August 2023 | Apooiti Bay mooring field
08 August 2023
08 August 2023 | Apooiti Bay, Raiatea
05 August 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
01 August 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
31 July 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
28 July 2023 | Orion Guest House

Decommissioning Work

23 June 2014 | Vuda Marina, Fiji
Workin' Bill
Very cleverly, Conni built in some more relaxed decommissioning time for us here at trip's end. We're in a marina so we have abundant fresh water for boat chores; clean,stand-up, hot water showers; toilets; garbage collection; 24-hour security; and electricity. The electricity is 240 VAC, to be sure, but most of our electronics work on that and our battery charger handles the voltage so even if we use a lot of lights and fans, the charger keeps up. As I've said, marina life is a several steps nicer than passage making.

I'm writing this at 0720 and the shift of security has just changed so I can hear the traditional Fijian greeting of "Bula!" said with the typical repeats and different accenting. I've heard the word "bull" for several years and had no idea what it meant. It's Fijian for "hello", as "vinaka" is Fijian for "thank you".

My first day watch started at 0700, so I awaken then anyway. We start at 0800 and work until 1800 or so, so our days are full. We're not frantic, though, since we've accomplished a great deal and still have three days, leaving on Thursday. And we've decided to splurge and stay in a little cabin for the next three nights since the boat is getting difficult to move around with all of the gear moving from above to below decks. We often have lunch or dinner at table 3 in the Boat Shed Bar, overlooking the entrance channel. We know the servers now and the food and drinks are excellent.

By the way, we're a day ahead of you since we're across the date line (longitude 180°). As I write this, it's Monday morning, 23 June, rather than Sunday morning, 22 June. You knew that, right?

The sails are still up and that's the focus today: getting them down, furled, and stowed. We're considering a separate storage unit for them to reduce the number of moisture-trapping items below. Cost and storage conditions will determine.

We're also stripping off the boat a lot of extra gear that we had aboard "just in case" and now realize that we don't need. Some has made the cut and will return home for later use or sale, but some is of no value and we've discarded it. Conni is taking home over half of these decorative pillows that were fine for coastal cruising and guests, but don't belong on a cruising boat. We've decided that a bit more Spartan an approach is better suited for a cruiser than we had thought. Not only is there less time for just lounging but when passage making the boat needs to be sparely furnished with fewer items to go careening around in a rough seaway. It's just the way it is.

Each of us will have a "blue box" of gear to return with, and our regular kit as well. I've got to replace the aft toilet, so I've got to make arrangements or bring with me a replacement toilet. Our old one is not only not functioning well, it's been discontinued for 20 years and parts are impossible to find. I've nursed it along for several years and had to jury-rig some important parts for the crossing from Mexico just to keep it going for crew. I'm hoping that I can order it here and have it waiting rather than try to travel with a toilet in my duffle bag! TSA would have a fit!

This is our last day in the water. We get lifted and put into a pit tomorrow some time. We will probably stay in a bungalow tonight, as mentioned. We're winding down. Conni says that the trip is over when the refrigerator is turned off and that's going to happen either today or tomorrow.

I'll take and post some photos of the lift out and placement of Wings into a pit. I hope that it will be interesting and not exciting: We've had enough excitement.
Comments
Vessel Name: Wings
Vessel Make/Model: Passport 40
Hailing Port: Anchorage, Alaska
Crew: William Ennis and Constance Livsey
About: We've been married since 1991, and both retired from our respective jobs (teacher and attorney) after long careers. We live in the most exotic of the United States: Alaska. We cruise on Wings for half the year, enjoying our home state the other part of the year.
Extra:
We've sailed Wings Southward from Alaska since August, 2010. We joined the BajaHaha from SoCal to Mexico in 2012. We joined the Pacific Puddle Jump in 2013 and crossed the Pacific Ocean. Wings "over-summered" in French Polynesia. We continued our journey through western French Polynesia, [...]
Home Page: http://svwings.com
Wings's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.