Voyages

These are the voyages of the sailing vessel, Wings.

19 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
15 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
13 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
11 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
07 September 2023 | Apooiti Bay
03 September 2023 | Tapuamu, Taha'a
02 September 2023 | Tapuamu, Taha'a
31 August 2023 | Haamene Bay, Taha'a
29 August 2023 | Relais Mehana Hotel, Huahine
26 August 2023 | Fare, Huahine
19 August 2023 | Aloe Cafe, Viatape
13 August 2023 | Aloe Cafe, Viatape
11 August 2023 | Apooiti Bay mooring field
08 August 2023
08 August 2023 | Apooiti Bay, Raiatea
05 August 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
01 August 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
31 July 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
28 July 2023 | Orion Guest House

Hot Weather Slows Progress

01 May 2015 | Slip, Vuda Marina
Hot, hot, Bill
It's SO hot!

Today is Friday in Fiji. Conni's and my sailing trip will not happen. We've just had too much to do. How much time is enough? In French Polynesia, we planned for a week and a week shakedown: not enough. We planned two weeks here and a week shakedown: not enough. It seems that we spend more and more time preparing and less sailing.

Our first crew arrive at the boat tomorrow: Phil arrives. We're almost ready, but not quite.

This morning, I winched Conni to the masthead and it's drained me of energy for the day, it seems. Between that expenditure, the heat, and the humidity, we headed below about 1300 and had lunch. I was so tired that I lay down on the cabin sole (I was too dirty to be on any nice surface), used an gallon antifreeze dub as a pillow, and conked out for an hour's nap. Holy smokes!

The main is on and its protective Lazy Bag is on. We rigged the battens (fiberglass strips that help maintain the sail's shape), and even rove three reefing lines, the most ever. We're going upwind and I want as many options as I can get.

While at the masthead, Conni installed the wind instruments that we remove each season. She also found, horror of horrors, that the keeper pin for the huge steel pin that connects the forestay to the masthead was almost worn away. She has a quick eye and knew exactly what she was seeing. I sent up a collection of replacement Cotter pins, as they're known, and the big hammer. She awakened the dead around here, but got things back in place and secured. Had she not seen that problem, the big pin would have slipped out, the forestay wold have fallen, bringing the jib with it, all going overboard. Then the mast would probably have broken and we'd be in deep trouble. The forestay is the cable that supports the mast against forces from the bow, and that's exactly what we'll be facing when going upwind. And remember that we hired a rigger to find find exactly that kind of problem and fix it. We dodged a bullet, thanks to Conni.

We've gotten a lot of smaller projects completed and that's reassuring. The wind instruments that Conni installed all work, she checked all of the navigation lights that she passed on the way up, she checked all of the screws that she could reach. I installed some electrical items, stowed a lot of gear, and tried to stay hydrated.
Comments
Vessel Name: Wings
Vessel Make/Model: Passport 40
Hailing Port: Anchorage, Alaska
Crew: William Ennis and Constance Livsey
About: We've been married since 1991, and both retired from our respective jobs (teacher and attorney) after long careers. We live in the most exotic of the United States: Alaska. We cruise on Wings for half the year, enjoying our home state the other part of the year.
Extra:
We've sailed Wings Southward from Alaska since August, 2010. We joined the BajaHaha from SoCal to Mexico in 2012. We joined the Pacific Puddle Jump in 2013 and crossed the Pacific Ocean. Wings "over-summered" in French Polynesia. We continued our journey through western French Polynesia, [...]
Home Page: http://svwings.com
Wings's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.