Voyages

These are the voyages of the sailing vessel, Wings.

19 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
15 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
13 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
11 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
07 September 2023 | Apooiti Bay
03 September 2023 | Tapuamu, Taha'a
02 September 2023 | Tapuamu, Taha'a
31 August 2023 | Haamene Bay, Taha'a
29 August 2023 | Relais Mehana Hotel, Huahine
26 August 2023 | Fare, Huahine
19 August 2023 | Aloe Cafe, Viatape
13 August 2023 | Aloe Cafe, Viatape
11 August 2023 | Apooiti Bay mooring field
08 August 2023
08 August 2023 | Apooiti Bay, Raiatea
05 August 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
01 August 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
31 July 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
28 July 2023 | Orion Guest House

Passage 1 Done!

15 May 2015 | Neiafu, Vava'u, Tonga Tropicana Cafe
Pleased Bill
Conni and I sat at this very table last year, and now I'm sitting with John and Phil. We're out on the veranda, sipping iced coffee and working on the Internet. How civilized!

The voyage from Fiji was not uneventful, with the last night being especially trying. In Fiji waters, the winds were nothing the last day and we motored that entire day and finally got out of Fiji. Tacking back and forth made for a laborious exit. Within an hour of entering the wide Pacific, we had sailing wind that continued to build and, amazingly, was in a usable direction. We sailed well, making our southing the entire time, then on that last night, Wednesday night, the wind reached 30 kt gusts and 10 ft seas, thoroughly unpleasant. We moved in double reefed main and jib and did well, but some hand steering was needed the last 10 hours. We reached almost into the Tonga channels before we started the engine. Hurray!

Conni usually handled the check-in process but she had prepared the paperwork and me very well and I made it with few difficulties. We only had to give away one beer to officials.

We motored to a mooring and spent a very restful night, and a much needed restful night. For dinner we motored with the dinghy to the Aquarium Bar and I consumed a wonderful burger: one gets fantasies about hamburgers on passages,or I do.

Everyone did very well. John and Phil learned a lot of sail handling and steering. They can set most of the wind vane steering adjustments.

Funny..we would have bathed at the Moorings showers last night, but they lost the damned key. No kidding. We spent one last night of slimy smelliness on dirty sheets, but bathed this morning and we'll have clean laundry by this afternoon.

Neiafu is a lovely place with an expat (expatriate) community from everywhere. The Aquarium owners hail from SoCal in the US, there are some Kiwis and Aussies, too. It's an interesting and diverse group, all of whom moved here for a slower pace of life. Neiafu is a very religious place, as is all Tonga, since the missionaries arrived early and destroyed the local culture in their well-meaning efforts at conversion. Wesleyan first, then Catholic, Mormon, and Seventh Day Adventist followed, gathering souls as they could.

We plan to leave on Monday, but weather dictates travel. More later.
Comments
Vessel Name: Wings
Vessel Make/Model: Passport 40
Hailing Port: Anchorage, Alaska
Crew: William Ennis and Constance Livsey
About: We've been married since 1991, and both retired from our respective jobs (teacher and attorney) after long careers. We live in the most exotic of the United States: Alaska. We cruise on Wings for half the year, enjoying our home state the other part of the year.
Extra:
We've sailed Wings Southward from Alaska since August, 2010. We joined the BajaHaha from SoCal to Mexico in 2012. We joined the Pacific Puddle Jump in 2013 and crossed the Pacific Ocean. Wings "over-summered" in French Polynesia. We continued our journey through western French Polynesia, [...]
Home Page: http://svwings.com
Wings's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.