Voyages

These are the voyages of the sailing vessel, Wings.

19 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
15 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
13 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
11 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
07 September 2023 | Apooiti Bay
03 September 2023 | Tapuamu, Taha'a
02 September 2023 | Tapuamu, Taha'a
31 August 2023 | Haamene Bay, Taha'a
29 August 2023 | Relais Mehana Hotel, Huahine
26 August 2023 | Fare, Huahine
19 August 2023 | Aloe Cafe, Viatape
13 August 2023 | Aloe Cafe, Viatape
11 August 2023 | Apooiti Bay mooring field
08 August 2023
08 August 2023 | Apooiti Bay, Raiatea
05 August 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
01 August 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
31 July 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
28 July 2023 | Orion Guest House

We Arrive in Rarotonga!

28 May 2015 | Avarua Harbor
Happy Bill!
Whew!

What an epic adventure. It was a trip tough on crew and boat and I'm glad that it's over, and I'm not alone. I'm sure that I heard a sigh of relief from Wings as we settled for the night.

We have been motoring in non-existent winds for a day and a half, and I was becoming concerned about our fuel supply. Although I had filled the starboard 70 gallon tank, we found that the port tank was contaminated and couldn't be used. I kept careful count of our hours of engine use and logged that against our supplies and it was going to be close. I wanted to sail all that I could to save fuel…and I like to sail, for heaven's sake. On my watches, I tried several times to move to sail, but the wind always died and the "iron jib" had to be started. It charged the batteries, but it was loud and smelly.

On Wednesday, we caught some lovely winds and sailed all fuel-saving day. It was glorious! 5-6 knots in a useful direction. At some point, the winds shifted as they will do, and we tacked to keep up. Alas, about 18 nm out, the wind failed and we had to motor, but I felt that we had enough fuel for that.

John was the first to spot Rarotonga, early on Wednesday afternoon. What a sight! We were so close! Later that Wednesday evening, we got close enough to turn on running lights, our new forward-looking sonar, and the radar. Entering a foreign harbor at night, by instrument, is a nerve-wracking endeavor. I dropped the main and talked through what we needed to do when we got into the harbor. Neither Phil nor John had ever done anything like it before.

We found the harbor entrance by chart plotter, and damned if our wonderful chart plotter didn't lose its mind and its position! Holy smokes! After making some circles, it found itself and we proceeded to enter the harbor.

Not so fast! The lights of some kind of craft appeared and after looking with our spotlight, we saw 5 sailboats exiting the harbor! What are the chances! Not only 5 sailboats, but 5 traditional voyaging canoes. Wow! I could make out the characteristic sails as they passed us and knew what they were then, but what a sight.

We finally made it into the harbor and simply dropped the hook in the middle of the harbor. What the heck. We had a rolling night, but it was nice to be in a harbor.

We cleared in without too much difficulty and started the day's excitement.

I spent most of the day sorting out Immigration issues for John and his replacement, Darden. I think that they're mostly cleared. The rest of the day I spent scraping out mung from the port fuel tank. I've done it before, but it's not a fun nor relaxing exercise. That done, it was time for our evening, which I need to join.

So, we're in Rarotonga, our southern-most island. From here, it's northeast to Bora Bora after Monday, the Queen's birthday. Everything is closed, so that's we'll have to wait. John will fly out on Saturday and Darden arrives a bit later.

More later.
Comments
Vessel Name: Wings
Vessel Make/Model: Passport 40
Hailing Port: Anchorage, Alaska
Crew: William Ennis and Constance Livsey
About: We've been married since 1991, and both retired from our respective jobs (teacher and attorney) after long careers. We live in the most exotic of the United States: Alaska. We cruise on Wings for half the year, enjoying our home state the other part of the year.
Extra:
We've sailed Wings Southward from Alaska since August, 2010. We joined the BajaHaha from SoCal to Mexico in 2012. We joined the Pacific Puddle Jump in 2013 and crossed the Pacific Ocean. Wings "over-summered" in French Polynesia. We continued our journey through western French Polynesia, [...]
Home Page: http://svwings.com
Wings's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.