05 June 2017 | Fare Lagoon, Huahine, French Polynesia
I wrote last night about our lovely night ashore and our plans for leaving for Avae Bay in the morning. We awoke early and made good on our plans, dropping off our laundry to be reclaimed on Tuesday sometime. We bought some groceries and filled 5 gallons of water and 10 of diesel, all of which we stowed on our return.
We had prepared the boat for leaving and Conni was forward retrieving the anchor when I noticed that we were not releasing any water with our exhaust. We dutifully check that each time we start the engine, so it wasn’t an abnormal thing for me to check. Sea water is pumped from through the seacock, into the heat exchanger where it absorbs engine thermal energy, and then is pumped into the exhaust to cool that. It is expelled in great gulps as the exhaust gases push it out. We had no water.
I immediately reset the anchor and stopped the engine. I dove below, as usual, and found that the raw water impeller was not turning. Damn! I changed the impeller but it did no good, nor did I think that it would.
We saw a vacant mooring buoy and decided to risk running the engine for a short time to be safe, so retrieved our anchor and motored to it. I had the mooring line on our cleat quickly and we shut the engine.
After removing the water pump we saw that the shaft that rotates the impeller (the neoprene “pinwheel” that pushes the water) was not rotating and the reason was that the shaft was broken. We could not see the break but the drive end and the impeller ends of the shaft rotated independently. Damn!
So, here we are. I’ll call tonight the NanniDiesel guy in England and see what he can recommend, but the pump itself is now out of production. If he has a replacement or knows of one, we’re set. If he doesn’t, I’ll rig a continuous-duty water pump used for the desalinator to feed water through the engine. It’ll work if I can match the hose sizes.
So that’s the latest in the saga. To spice the event, we have two sets of guests, the first pair arriving in 10 days. Yikes! Do we cancel them? I mean, they’ve spent a lot of money and time arranging their schedules to be here. It’s a difficult issue. We’ll know more after I talk to the English NanniDiesel guy tonight. We’re 11 hours behind them so it’ll be late here when I call.
Again, please, wish us luck.