Voyages

These are the voyages of the sailing vessel, Wings.

19 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
15 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
13 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
11 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
07 September 2023 | Apooiti Bay
03 September 2023 | Tapuamu, Taha'a
02 September 2023 | Tapuamu, Taha'a
31 August 2023 | Haamene Bay, Taha'a
29 August 2023 | Relais Mehana Hotel, Huahine
26 August 2023 | Fare, Huahine
19 August 2023 | Aloe Cafe, Viatape
13 August 2023 | Aloe Cafe, Viatape
11 August 2023 | Apooiti Bay mooring field
08 August 2023
08 August 2023 | Apooiti Bay, Raiatea
05 August 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
01 August 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
31 July 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
28 July 2023 | Orion Guest House

05 April 2012 | Puerto Escodido, Mexico
Bill in the Bay
We decided to move from the Ellipse today because the odd and constantly shifting winds were re-arranging the boats in closer proximities than we were comfortable. Conni got out of bed several times last night to check our position, and stayed for over an hour until we completed our movement.

We did chores this morning, checked on our diesel fuel tanks, and cleaned the solar panels.

We're having some trouble with the various alternative devices that we own. All three of them, the solar panels, the wind generator, and the water generator, will "run in reverse" if there is more voltage at the batteries than they are producing. With the any of them, the workaround is to simply disconnect them, but this means that we can run them without being present to disconnect them: no automatic operation. The real solution, and the one that I had planned, was to use a regulator and diode system. The regulator senses battery voltage and alternative source voltage and disconnects the alternate if it's creating less voltage that the batteries. Of course, it connects the source if it's producing greater voltage. The diode disallows current to run toward the device and only toward the batteries. It's the perfect solution.

Unfortunately, the regulator that I purchased and on which I depended, has failed. This is the second failure of the device and it's caused some headaches. I plan to give the regulator one more chance, then remove it from the system and depend on the diodes alone.

We motored to the dinghy dock after moving and the outboard performed perfectly. The homemade shear pin has survived. We washed a load of clothes, bathed, and went to the restaurant for a beer. The manager of the restaurant and store came out and showed us a Red Snapper, called by its Mexican name, and told us how it should be prepared. He asked if we wanted to try it, and we agreed. It was wonderful! Baked in an oven, with only salt and pepper, it was simply prepared.

We'll add some diesel fuel tomorrow, and fill our water tanks, then take off. The weather is supposed to deteriorate by Saturday, so we'll spend that day in a lovely anchorage on Isla Carmen: Bahia Ballandra.
Comments
Vessel Name: Wings
Vessel Make/Model: Passport 40
Hailing Port: Anchorage, Alaska
Crew: William Ennis and Constance Livsey
About: We've been married since 1991, and both retired from our respective jobs (teacher and attorney) after long careers. We live in the most exotic of the United States: Alaska. We cruise on Wings for half the year, enjoying our home state the other part of the year.
Extra:
We've sailed Wings Southward from Alaska since August, 2010. We joined the BajaHaha from SoCal to Mexico in 2012. We joined the Pacific Puddle Jump in 2013 and crossed the Pacific Ocean. Wings "over-summered" in French Polynesia. We continued our journey through western French Polynesia, [...]
Home Page: http://svwings.com
Wings's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.