Voyages

These are the voyages of the sailing vessel, Wings.

19 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
15 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
13 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
11 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
07 September 2023 | Apooiti Bay
03 September 2023 | Tapuamu, Taha'a
02 September 2023 | Tapuamu, Taha'a
31 August 2023 | Haamene Bay, Taha'a
29 August 2023 | Relais Mehana Hotel, Huahine
26 August 2023 | Fare, Huahine
19 August 2023 | Aloe Cafe, Viatape
13 August 2023 | Aloe Cafe, Viatape
11 August 2023 | Apooiti Bay mooring field
08 August 2023
08 August 2023 | Apooiti Bay, Raiatea
05 August 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
01 August 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
31 July 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
28 July 2023 | Orion Guest House

Update

26 April 2015 | Slip, Vuda Marina
VERY relieved Bill
Wings is a boat! She was splashed yesterday with no problems. The new transducer hole didn't leak, so Conni did her typical great job of gooping it with caulk.

We had requested a tow to our new slip since we wanted to complete some engine checks, so after we were lowered into the water the local outboard-powered taxi pulled us toward the slip. To reduce the steering difficulties for the taxi, we tried to steer Wings with our wheel. Nope, the steering was totally locked. NO! It was the low point for both of us. We felt betrayed and frustrated. After tying up the boat, I went below the cockpit to do the only thing that we could think of doing: spray the quadrant with CorrosionBlock, our "go-to" lubricant/penetrant. We went ashore, steamed through a shower, and stormed off for beer and burgers. We discussed all of the terrible costs and delays that the problem might entail. Neither of us could finish our meal.

On return, Conni despondently tried to turn the wheel, and …..it turned! We had dodged not a bullet but a cannonball! Whew!

Today, Sunday, 26 April, we arose a bit late, the first such that we've had in weeks. I dosed the quadrant with CorrosionBlock again and we worked the wheel but it seems that the problem is resolved. I had asked for help from the wonderful Passport list serve and they all made various recommendations, but I was able to respond that the solution had been simple and inexpensive.

So, we're boaters again. I led the forward-looking transducer cable from the transducer to the battery box and will complete the lead from there to the display on the binnacle tomorrow. We're finally starting to complete some tasks that normal boaters complete when commissioning their boats. It's about time!

After work today, I went to the Boatyard Bar and bought a pair of Fiji Bitter beers which were provided with a bag of ice for the trip to the boat. What a relief it is to have a working boat.

Our hope, now, is that Conni and I can spend a few days, at least, in a shakedown trip, just the two of us. She's worked so hard and to be denied even a day of sailing seems unfair to me. We have a week before crew arrives.
Comments
Vessel Name: Wings
Vessel Make/Model: Passport 40
Hailing Port: Anchorage, Alaska
Crew: William Ennis and Constance Livsey
About: We've been married since 1991, and both retired from our respective jobs (teacher and attorney) after long careers. We live in the most exotic of the United States: Alaska. We cruise on Wings for half the year, enjoying our home state the other part of the year.
Extra:
We've sailed Wings Southward from Alaska since August, 2010. We joined the BajaHaha from SoCal to Mexico in 2012. We joined the Pacific Puddle Jump in 2013 and crossed the Pacific Ocean. Wings "over-summered" in French Polynesia. We continued our journey through western French Polynesia, [...]
Home Page: http://svwings.com
Wings's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.