Voyages

These are the voyages of the sailing vessel, Wings.

19 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
15 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
13 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
11 September 2023 | Pension Tiare Nui
07 September 2023 | Apooiti Bay
03 September 2023 | Tapuamu, Taha'a
02 September 2023 | Tapuamu, Taha'a
31 August 2023 | Haamene Bay, Taha'a
29 August 2023 | Relais Mehana Hotel, Huahine
26 August 2023 | Fare, Huahine
19 August 2023 | Aloe Cafe, Viatape
13 August 2023 | Aloe Cafe, Viatape
11 August 2023 | Apooiti Bay mooring field
08 August 2023
08 August 2023 | Apooiti Bay, Raiatea
05 August 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
01 August 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
31 July 2023 | Raiatea Carenage
28 July 2023 | Orion Guest House

Lemonade

25 June 2016 | Marina de Papeete
Bill, Better
We’ve decided to simply change our trip around and make a stay in Papeete the jewel in the crown. I mean, we’re in downtown Papeete, Tahiti, with shore power, stand-up showers (although with cold water), garbage collection, and decent security. What’s not to like? We’ll be here at least until next Thursday when the Nanni mechanic arrives. I’ll continue to do what I can to track down the problem, and hopefully between the mechanic and me, we’ll get things running.

We had decided yesterday that when the boats departed that had stayed here in preparation for the Tahiti-Moorea Rendezvous, we would move Wings away from that hideous old dock and over to the new ones. I had befriended another motor-less sailor, a Kiwi, and he had dropped by to chat. At 0900, the Rendezvous boats began to move, and we began to put the plan into place. We tied together several strong lines, and I took our Kiwi friend to the landing point on the next dock. I made the best “hip tie” on Wings that I could. As the name suggests, a hip tie is the way a tug ties on to a large ship, usually just aft of midships, and maneuvers the larger ship around. That was my job: provide propulsion and some steering. Conni handled the lines aboard Wings and steered her home.

The system worked perfectly! Wings is now firmly attached to the new docks with their superior stability and cushioning, with power, water, and better access to showers and such.

For reasons that we were never told, power was out all over the island from noon to 1700 yesterday. It was also Friday and I knew that most shops would be closed from noon through Monday morning.

French marine electrical connectors are different than standard “European 2” plugs. The two cylindrical plugs are much longer. The plug that I had scabbed together for use at the Carenage worked because we were attached to house-style extension cords so the standard plug was OK, but not here on the dock. Damn! I jumped in the dinghy and motored across to NautiSport, the large marine store further up the harbor, tied up the dinghy and raced inside.

Nope, no plugs at all.

I raced, on foot since I had no sandals, to STH, another large marine store. None there. I followed several dead end leads and then panicked because the dinghy was docked inside a large security fence back at NautiSport and they closed at noon! I reversed course through the nautical district, my tender feet blistered by the rough pavement, and arrived just as the owner’s BMW drove through the closing gate. I had to radio Conni that there was no plug to be had but at least I arrived in time to fetch the dinghy without adding a breaking and entering charge to my resume.

Through sheer expedience, I did what was needed, and simply removed the old plug from the electric cord, trimmed the ends, and stuck them into the dock receptacle, and even connected the ground. Works like a charm, but is not OSHA approved, to be sure. Still, our batteries are staying charged, we can run all of the fans and lights that we want, and we save wear and tear on the generator. Being able to stay fan-cool is delightful.

It’s hot here. Daytime temperature are low 80s, and not unreasonable, but the humidity is simply stifling. One sweats profusely to cool, but there’s no place for it to go. It drains me to be in that humidity all day, and of course, the sticky feel on one’s skin makes touching furniture or bedding distasteful. I don’t mind being that way all day, but now we can stroll to the marina office and take a cool, civilized shower. Ahhh…

It’s not raining today, it appears, so I’ll get that second and final coat of varnish applied and we can remove that damned blue tape that’s all over the boat. I’ll try to run down the engine problem, too. We’ve got many, many chores that have awaited some convenient work day, and Sunday in Papeete is it.

Last night, Conni looked for a place for a Saturday night in Papeete date night restaurant for us, and we went looking for it. It was pouring rain, of course, so I had my best t-shirt in my dry bag as we walked along. Our first choice was full and taking no new customers, so we walked back a block to an Italian place that we had passed. Restaurant La Squadra looked very homey inside and had several of its ten tables open, so we gave it a try. Drinks were good (I had an excellent Maitai and Conni had a Bellini), wine wasn’t overpriced, and the food was spectacular! Conni, as usual, was immediately conquered by duck in honey sauce, and I had Mahimahi with a shrimp sauce. Both were beautifully prepared and delicious. The shrimp sauce on my fish was delicate, smooth as silk, and with that rich flavor of a lobster sauce. Excellent! Next time that you’re in Papeete, drop by Restaurant La Squadra.

I was hobbling on my blistered feet as we returned to the boat, but the rain had stopped and we had a pleasant stroll back to our private hotel in downtown Papeete.
Comments
Vessel Name: Wings
Vessel Make/Model: Passport 40
Hailing Port: Anchorage, Alaska
Crew: William Ennis and Constance Livsey
About: We've been married since 1991, and both retired from our respective jobs (teacher and attorney) after long careers. We live in the most exotic of the United States: Alaska. We cruise on Wings for half the year, enjoying our home state the other part of the year.
Extra:
We've sailed Wings Southward from Alaska since August, 2010. We joined the BajaHaha from SoCal to Mexico in 2012. We joined the Pacific Puddle Jump in 2013 and crossed the Pacific Ocean. Wings "over-summered" in French Polynesia. We continued our journey through western French Polynesia, [...]
Home Page: http://svwings.com
Wings's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.