Coconut Islander

Vessel Name: Charlotte
Vessel Make/Model: Roberts 45 Charter
Hailing Port: Richards Bay
Crew: Willem, Dylan, Charlotte, Mikel
About:
Just me and my kids! Dylan is an avid surfer and has given up waiting for me to go cruising. We've been living aboard for some time and still struggling to get away. Charlotte, my daughter, has written her matric exams and has enrolled in a beauty course for the year. [...]
Extra: Would love to be going South this year...
30 April 2015 | Inhaca, Mozambique
08 May 2014 | Richards Bay
08 May 2014 | Richards Bay
10 January 2011 | Tuzi Gazi
06 January 2011 | Richards Bay
Recent Blog Posts
30 April 2015 | Inhaca, Mozambique

Had a great sail to Inhaca with Ully onboard Andrea Helena this year. Total crew were myself, Ully, Andy, Margeret, Dagny, Barbara, Peter and Shannon. We didn't race and left to beat the SW. Caught some fish on the way up. Ully had to clean up the solenoid contacts to get the motor started. I had a bad experience when what I suspect to have been an ulcer in my chest burst.

08 May 2014 | Richards Bay

Andrea Helena

A picture of Andrea Helena. Ully Shokkos, her owner, has been working steadily on refurbishing her over the last three years and hopes to sail her to Cyprus where his family live. I sailed with him in 2013. It was an enjoyable sail. Andrea handles well.

08 May 2014 | Richards Bay

Father I have sinned

It has been a while since I last posted a blog here. A lot has happened and I'll try to keep it short.

10 January 2011 | Tuzi Gazi

Another hot day

Sitting here in Charlotte's radio room, the sun beating through the starboard beam and very little wind, I'm not picking up much of the maritime net other than Graham's determined progress through maritime mobiles and coastal stations. Feeling guilty about not writing up a full log, there's simply too [...]

06 January 2011 | Richards Bay

Looking Forward

Sitting here listening to BOSANOVA - Stones I'm wondering what to say. I could say this is it, I'm over this, I'm outta here, but I'm not. It would be nice to find a new place to tie up, somewhere far from here. Perhaps I will move down to Durban, East London maybe. Meet some new people, get a job! I guess my drive is too full of Richards Bay. This new corner in front of Dros has its moments, is accessible to my kids, I can park the car right next to the boat on the wharf. If I could only afford to take Driekie to the Dros! I could do with a proper camera so that I could show you how cool it is here. My webcam wire is too short for a picture from the car park. Visitors browsing, speculating, stimulating their dreams or showing off what they know (or don't know) about boats. Certainly a lot more activity than the yacht club walk on! The picture shows Charlotte in similar weather on the yacht club walk on before our attempt to sail to Madagascar!

Father I have sinned

08 May 2014 | Richards Bay
Early morning waiting for a S'Wester
It has been a while since I last posted a blog here. A lot has happened and I'll try to keep it short.

1) Dylan got his drivers licence and is working for his friend Mark representing O'Neill by surfing and promoting O'Neill products. They may be moving on to O'Neill surfboards from the Pukas (Spanish) range

2) Charlotte completed her Health and Beauty Therapy Course and is now a Beauty Technician. She and Ruan (still her boyfriend) have moved to Uvongo on the South Coast of KZN

3) Mikel will be 20 in August and enjoys watching DVD's, reading and writing through the night. He also enjoys outings with his father particularly when we're to visit family or going to the video store.

4) SV Charlotte has moved over to the short jetty where she is moored onto the 7m end. Her motor is currently out for repairs and the rubber duck is under repair too. I need to get the bilges cleaned out and painted, bilge pumps repaired/replaced, the 12V refrigeration compressors replaced/repaired and replace the invertors which I blew by forgetting to disconnect the charger from the supplied circuit. We haven't been antifouled since 2009 but I have been keeping her clean by scrubbing her bottom occasionally. I have replaced the blue canopy which was tearing all over with a nice white one which makes her look like a cabriolet. I'm sorry I don't have a picture. Perhaps I'll spoil myself with a camera one of these days.

As far as sailing is concerned I have been sailing with some of the other guys; Milan with Quest, a Prout Cat, Majin on Giga, Majin's very successful 34' design aluminium cutter and Andrea Helena, a 59' Steel yacht
Comments

About & Links