Kasasa

13 November 2016
22 March 2015 | (actually writing this from Nanaimo)
26 February 2015 | Punta Perula, Chamela Bay
01 February 2015 | Punta Perula, Mexico
21 January 2015 | Punta Perula, Chamela Bay, Mexico
04 January 2015 | San Blas
02 December 2014 | Guaymas (Boat Yard) Mexico
21 November 2014 | Guaymas, Mexico
17 November 2014 | Guaymas, Mexico
01 November 2014 | Page, Arizona
30 October 2014 | Page, Arizona
28 October 2014 | Moab, Utah
23 October 2014 | Colorado
18 October 2014 | Rapid City, South Dakota
18 October 2014 | South Dakota
22 May 2014 | Nanaimo, BC
10 April 2014 | Somewhere in Oregon
27 March 2014 | Guaymas, Mexico
12 March 2014 | La Paz, Baja, Mexico
04 March 2014 | San Blas, Mexico

Copper Canyon Trip

15 November 2011 | Topolobampo
Ellen
We had a super trip to the Copper Canyon. It's like nothing we have seen before and was such a contrast our travels by sea we have been doing over the past year. Here is a day to day breakdown of our trip.
Day One
According to the Lonely Planet Guide, the 2nd class train left Los Mochis at 7am 3 days a week. We organized a taxi to pick us up at the marina at 6am. On arriving at the train station at 6:30am we saw to our dismay the train pulling out. It turns out they have changed the schedule and the train left at 6am but was running a half hour late. No problem our taxi driver said and off we raced to the next town where the train would stop. It was kinda funny as we raced down the road beside the tracks the taxi driver waiving frantically to the engineer driving the train. We managed to pull ahead of the train and got to the next stop about 5 minutes before the train. Whew!
Once on the train and settled into our seats on the right hand side for the best views, Ian went off to stand between the railcars as you can hang out the windows and watch the scenery go by. The trip to our destination Creel was 9 hours long and Ian stayed by that window for about 6 of those hours with me popping in about once an hour for a few minutes - it was way to loud in there for me with the screeching of the wheels on the tracks. Besides the gorgeous vistas, he saw some interesting wildlife as well. One of the things he saw was a burro laying about 10 feet off the tracks in the middle of giving birth!
The first glimpse of the actual canyon you get is in a place called Divisadero where the train stops for 15 minutes and you can get off. The trick here is to divide your time between the view, the great baskets & crafts that the local Tarahumara Indian women make and sell at all the tourist stops along the way, and the really yummy food that is sold by the vendors at the station. Back on the train and about another hour or so to our first destination which is the town of Creel.
We had booked the first night online for Casa Margarita and when we arrived they had upgraded us to their sister hotel Hotel Plaza Margarita which also included dinner and breakfast in the cost. Although the food wasn't gourmet, it was good enough and plentiful. Creel itself was interesting as it felt sort of like a ski town with all the hotels and tour operators and gift shops but not as touristy. We signed up for a tour the next day.
Day Two
Brrrrr woke up to frost this morning! We are chilly but have brought fleece and windbreakers thank god.
Our tour was a viewing of a cave dwelling and yes people are actually living in it, a mission called San Ignacio, Valley of the Frogs and Mushrooms (which are very large rocks that look like mushrooms and frogs), and a trip to the Cusarare waterfall which unfortunately for us had very little water flowing off of it but in the summer must be impressive. It was a good introduction to the area and some good information about the local native population called Tarahumara. Our only beef was that the guide spoke little english but lucky for us one of the people on the trip was a Mexican who spoke almost perfect english and was kind enough to translate for us.
Also in Creel is a Museum which is really worth the 10 peso entrance fee. It primary focus is local art but it also has a big section on the history of Creel and the Tarahumara Indians.
Back at the hotel during the dinner hour we were sitting with some people from France and it is now official that I can neither speak fluent french anymore or spanish but a mixture of the two I call Sprench! What little spanish I have learned is totally mixed up with my french and I'm afraid that the more spanish I learn the less room I have in my head to maintain the french - darn!
Day Three
We decided to go to Posada Barrancas for a few days because it is almost right on the rim of the canyon and we would have more access to seeing it. We took the 10:30am bus to Posada since it's way cheaper than the train (we were told the train has a 120km minimum charge). We had previously contacted Cabanas Diaz where we were to stay for 2 nights. Senior Diaz met us at the bus stop. We chose one of the cabins complete with a kitchenette and a fireplace which was the only source of heat. His wife offers dinners and breakfast for 80 peso's per person which is about 7 dollars. Since the town only has 250 residents, there is only one small cafe in the town.
That afternoon we took the 4km walk from Posada to Divisadero to have lunch at the stalls in the train station and also to walk the trail along the canyon rim. The view was spectacular. While there we also went into the Divisadero hotel and sat in the bar sipping wine and taking in the view. Back at our cabin later we sat in front of a roaring fire while the wind howled outside.
Day Four
The Diaz family offer guided hikes and horseback tours. Ian and I decided to go for a 2 hour horseback tour. Ian has a broken toe and can't hike much and my hips bother me after a few hours of walking so horseback seemed like a good idea. The horses were very gentle and easy to steer. We rode through the forest which so reminds us of BC and came to the canyon rim which we rode along for a stretch. Beautiful. As we were riding I was seeing crystals in the rocks so at one point when we took a break, I went off on a rock search and found a few good samples.
Later that afternoon we hitched a ride from Sr. Diaz to Divisadero and had lunch once again at the train station. YUMMY! We walked back the 4km to the ranch.
Day Five
Today was our last day in Posada Branncas as we wanted to get the 2nd class train to El Fuerte. Otherwise we would have had to wait 2 more days for the next 2nd class train as they only run 3 times a week. First class runs every day of the week but the price is double for the exact same train ride. The only difference we could see when we walked through the 1st class car was there was carpet on the floor and there were disposable cloths over the back of the head rest. They have the exact same view as the back of the train.
Anyhow, we had until 2pm before the train so we decided to take the Gondola into the canyon. It's a touristy thing but we were after all tourists. It was a nice ride about a mile into the canyon and about 1500 foot drop in elevation all together. Since we weren't going to Botopilas or Urique at the bottom of the canyon this was the next best thing.
Back on the train to El Fuerte for a 6 hour train ride. The train was very full with lots of local families and so was very loud but quite entertaining. We checked into the Rio Vista which overlooks the river. It is one of the most funky but nice hotels we have ever stayed in. It's hard to describe it but its a series of buildings joined together and there are hallways that go every which way. It was very clean and the owners are very helpful and friendly.
Day Six
A quick visit through the town square and nearby neighbour hood to look at the beautiful buildings. We also took a quick tour through the museum which is right beside the hotel. The hotel offers a river tour which is a combination of bird watching and hiking to see the petroglyphs. The guide Phillipe is very knowledgeable and very passionate about both topics. It was really an awesome trip and I would highly recommend it to anyone who is in El Fuerte. The petroglyphs are so amazing to see and there are so many of them. The hike to see them is pretty easy but I have to tell you we had a bit of excitement when I noticed a tarantula on the path. Anyone reading this who knows me knows that I have a extreme fear of spiders. The guide just bent over and picked it up by a leg and threw it into the bush. I was fearful of going any further but Phillipe told me I probably wouldn't see another which thankfully I didn't but I kept my eyes peeled. We also got to see a dessert tortise as well.
From El Fuerte we took the bus to Los Mochis and then another bus to Topolobampo and voila we were home. It was a great trip and we loved it. We were happy to see the boat and that all was well on her.




Comments
Vessel Name: Kasasa
Vessel Make/Model: Endurance 35
Hailing Port: Vancouver, British Columbia
Crew: Ellen Gallant and Ian Shepherd
About: Ian was born in South Africa and grew up on the water. He has been sailing for many years including some offshore crewing on various yachts. Ellen was born on the Prairies and the first time she was on a sailboat she was terrified but seems to have conquered her fear - well mostly.
Extra: Our long term goal: Sail off into the sunset... In the meantime, we are continuing to work on our boat, and at our jobs in order to fund that goal. We have been planning this trip for many years, but in the last 4 years we have gotten more 'serious' about it. We plan on leaving in October of 2010.
Kasasa's Photos - Main
19 Photos
Created 14 March 2015
38 Photos
Created 21 February 2015
22 Photos
Created 17 November 2014
24 Photos
Created 1 November 2014
13 Photos
Created 30 October 2014
24 Photos
Created 27 October 2014
19 Photos
Created 23 October 2014
12 Photos
Created 18 October 2014
14 Photos
Created 27 March 2014
16 Photos
Created 27 December 2013
9 Photos
Created 7 April 2013
27 Photos
Created 18 February 2013
40 Photos
Created 18 February 2013
27 Photos
Created 17 February 2013
37 Photos
Created 2 October 2012
28 Photos
Created 24 September 2012
38 Photos
Created 14 June 2012
20 Photos
Created 16 May 2012
24 Photos
Created 29 April 2012
46 Photos
Created 28 March 2012
9 Photos
Created 27 March 2012
25 Photos
Created 3 March 2012
26 Photos
Created 14 February 2012
20 Photos
Created 14 January 2012
15 Photos
Created 24 December 2011
11 Photos
Created 14 December 2011
21 Photos
Created 6 December 2011
15 Photos
Created 23 November 2011
95 Photos
Created 15 November 2011
16 Photos
Created 7 November 2011
31 Photos
Created 25 October 2011
29 Photos
Created 15 October 2011
25 Photos
Created 14 October 2011
54 Photos
Created 21 September 2011
35 Photos
Created 29 August 2011
15 Photos
Created 12 August 2011
49 Photos
Created 7 July 2011
50 Photos
Created 14 June 2011
53 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 29 May 2011
23 Photos
Created 29 May 2011
57 Photos
Created 28 April 2011
15 Photos
Created 9 April 2011
30 Photos
Created 5 April 2011
9 Photos
Created 26 March 2011
7 Photos
Created 22 March 2011
19 Photos
Created 2 March 2011
6 Photos
Created 25 February 2011
21 Photos
Created 11 February 2011
21 Photos
Created 25 January 2011
23 Photos
Created 7 January 2011
11 Photos
Created 7 January 2011
19 Photos
Created 23 December 2010
11 Photos
Created 21 December 2010
20 Photos
Created 5 December 2010
5 Photos
Created 13 November 2010
12 Photos
Created 31 August 2010
Getting the raft repacked
3 Photos
Created 1 June 2010
4 Photos
Created 15 May 2010