s/v Wanderlust

Our trip down the West Coast from Washington to San Diego, and then beyond.

12 January 2011 | Marina Chahue, Huatulco, Mexico
01 May 2010 | Oaxaca to Home
14 April 2010
13 April 2010
12 April 2010
11 April 2010
10 April 2010
09 April 2010
08 April 2010
06 April 2010
05 April 2010 | Marina Chahue, Hualtulco
05 April 2010
04 April 2010
03 April 2010
02 April 2010
26 March 2010 | Puerto Angel, Oaxaca
25 March 2010
22 March 2010 | Acapulco
21 March 2010
18 March 2010 | Zihautanejo

Lonely Spot

12 March 2013 | Fort Frederica, GA
Janet
Sorry about my postings getting bunched up like this. It is due to the fact that we are moving almost every day, but don't always have an internet connection or time to sit down and do postings. We are dealing with high tidal flows now. It goes from a 2-3 ft. range in Florida to 7-9 ft in Georgia. That, plus the shoaly areas, cause us to have to time some of our passages for high tide times. It just make navigating a little more challenging when working your way through this water maze. We stopped here at just mid day in order to get through a tricky area tomorrow at the right time. I have a feeling we will be the only boat here tonight, and we haven't had anyone go by today. The structure in the picture is an old fort. We are basically working our way up to Savannah, Georgia now.

Cool Weather

10 March 2013 | Brunswick
Janet
After Cumberland Island we headed over to Brunswick, a small Georgia town We needed to do some laundry, shopping and get an internet connection. This trip was windy and cold. Once again we have all our layers on.

National Park

09 March 2013 | Cumberland Island, Georgia
Janet
This was a nice stop. Most of this island is a National Park, and it is Georgia's largest barrier island. The park has about 36,000 acres of protected land and beach. There is some private property here, but there are no bridges to the island and the roads are all unpaved. We were able to do lots of hiking here, and see some of the wildlife. We saw wild horses and an armadillo and our first cardinal and, of course, lots of sea birds. The beach was huge, and we were able to walk it for a long distance and do some shelling. There are also some estates on the island dating back to the late 1800's, the "Gilded Age". You can see the ruins of the mansion that was built by the Carnegies. We really enjoyed exploring this island.

Armadillo

08 March 2013 | Cumberland Island, Georgia
Janet
This guy didn't seem to be bothered by our presence at all.

Carnegie Ruins

07 March 2013 | Cumberland Island, Georgia
Janet
You get an idea of the grandeur of this place from the ruins. We couldn't quite figure out why they placed it here, since it was facing the marsh with no view of the ocean. We figured maybe they were trying to shelter themselves from the wind.

Wild Horses

06 March 2013 | Cumberland Island, Georgia
Janet
He was a little curious about us. We found horse poop all over this island. They certainly have the run of the place.
Vessel Name: Wanderlust
Vessel Make/Model: Morgan 38
Hailing Port: Friday Harbor, Washington
Crew: Janet & John Hart
About: Another trip down the coast 24 years later. Do we still have it in us!
Extra: The first leg of this trip will take us down to San Diego where we will leave the boat until January 2009 when we will rejoin it and leave for Mexico.

Profile for Wanderlust

Who: Janet & John Hart
Port: Friday Harbor, Washington