Wyvern's Wanderings

Vessel Name: Wyvern
Vessel Make/Model: 1977 Irwin Ketch
Hailing Port: El Jobean, Florida
Crew: Charlie and Phyllis Atha
About: After living aboard our 42' Irwin for almost 10 years, we sold her and bought a home in El Jobean, Florida. Bought a storm damaged 1996 Hunter 45 and have been working on it for the past 3 years. THEN we sold the Hunter and purchased the Irwin back. Feels like home!
Extra: Both Charlie and Phyllis are USCG licensed captains and ASA sailing instructors.
Social:
27 March 2019 | Nassau Harbor, New Providence, Bahamas
25 March 2019 | Nassau, New Providence, Bahamas
24 March 2019 | Norman's Cay, Exumas, Bahamas
23 March 2019 | Shroud Cay, Exuma Islands, Bahamas
22 March 2019 | Hawksbill Cay & Wardwick Wells, Exuma Islands, Bahamas
21 March 2019 | Emerald Rock, Wardwick Wells, Exuma Islands, Bahamas
20 March 2019 | Johnny Depp's Island, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
19 March 2019 | Staniel Cay, Exuma Islands, Bahamas
19 March 2019 | Staniel Cay, Exuma Islands, Bahamas
18 March 2019 | Staniel Cay, Exuma Islands, Bahamas
17 March 2019 | Staniel Cay, Exuma Islands, Bahamas
16 March 2019 | Blackpoint, Great Guana Cay, Exuma Islands, Bahama
15 March 2019 | Blackpoint, Great Guana Cay, Exuma Islands, Bahama
14 March 2019 | White Point, Great Guana Cay, Exumas, Bahamas
13 March 2019 | White Point, Great Guana Cay, Exumas, Bahamas
12 March 2019 | White Point, Great Guana Cay, Exumas, Bahamas
11 March 2019 | White Point, Great Guana Cay, Exumas, Bahamas
11 March 2019 | White Point, Great Guana Cay, Exumas, Bahamas
10 March 2019 | Isaac Bay, Great Guana Cay, Exumas, Bahamas
09 March 2019 | Blackpoint, Great Guana Cay, Exuma Islands, Bahama
Recent Blog Posts

No blog posts yet...

Next to the Last Day

13 April 2014 | St. James City, Pine Island, Florida
Phyllis Atha
Up at 6:30 and off by 7:00. We motored back out of Capri Pass at Marco Island, then set all the sails. The wind was blowing about 10 - 13 kts and a bit close to the bow, but workable. We sailed over 5 kts., sometimes close to 6 kts. all morning. The wind did subside some around noon, but by the time we hit the Sanibel Bridge dark clouds covered us and the wind was up to 18 or 20. Charlie had already taken in the jib and we took down the mizzen. Sailing and heeling quite a bit with the main up. Before we turned into the Miserable Mile, we turned into the wind and took down the main. One of our deterrents to sailing was the amount of boats. Since its Sunday, the number of boats out was up even out on the Gulf on the way down, but when we hit Fort Myers Beach and then the Intracoastal when we went under the bridge they exponentially increased in numbers. The feeling was like Wyvern had wandered into a hornets nest, with all size and makes of small power boats going and coming in no discernible pattern. Much easier to just motor through them all, especially since we only had 2 nm to go to our anchorage at St. James City. We arrived at 2:30 and anchored. The wind was still up and the seas a bit bouncy, but it felt good to be anchored and away from all the congestion. We relaxed. Charlie now has TV reception. Not much, but the 24 hour news station and an old rerun of Streets of San Francisco. Enough to keep him happy. I read in the cockpit. Then we showered and spiffed up to go into the Waterfront Cafe for dinner with Jack and Kris. An enjoyable last dinner with our cruising buddies for this trip. Since they had picked us up in their dinghy, they dropped us off and agreed to come aboard for our last sundowners and captains meeting. The weather calmed considerably after we anchored. The sun returned and gave us a beautiful sunset. Seas are mildly bumpy, but much less than earlier. We have had a wonderful journey this winter with our buddy boats Caprice and Nautical Girl. Sort of sorry to have it end, but now anxious to get home and settled for the summer.
Comments
Wyvern's Photos - Main
3 Photos
Created 12 December 2010
Our 1996 Hunter 45
9 Photos
Created 12 December 2010