Wyvern's Wanderings

Vessel Name: Wyvern
Vessel Make/Model: 1977 Irwin Ketch
Hailing Port: El Jobean, Florida
Crew: Charlie and Phyllis Atha
About: After living aboard our 42' Irwin for almost 10 years, we sold her and bought a home in El Jobean, Florida. Bought a storm damaged 1996 Hunter 45 and have been working on it for the past 3 years. THEN we sold the Hunter and purchased the Irwin back. Feels like home!
Extra: Both Charlie and Phyllis are USCG licensed captains and ASA sailing instructors.
Social:
27 March 2019 | Nassau Harbor, New Providence, Bahamas
25 March 2019 | Nassau, New Providence, Bahamas
24 March 2019 | Norman's Cay, Exumas, Bahamas
23 March 2019 | Shroud Cay, Exuma Islands, Bahamas
22 March 2019 | Hawksbill Cay & Wardwick Wells, Exuma Islands, Bahamas
21 March 2019 | Emerald Rock, Wardwick Wells, Exuma Islands, Bahamas
20 March 2019 | Johnny Depp's Island, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
19 March 2019 | Staniel Cay, Exuma Islands, Bahamas
19 March 2019 | Staniel Cay, Exuma Islands, Bahamas
18 March 2019 | Staniel Cay, Exuma Islands, Bahamas
17 March 2019 | Staniel Cay, Exuma Islands, Bahamas
16 March 2019 | Blackpoint, Great Guana Cay, Exuma Islands, Bahama
15 March 2019 | Blackpoint, Great Guana Cay, Exuma Islands, Bahama
14 March 2019 | White Point, Great Guana Cay, Exumas, Bahamas
13 March 2019 | White Point, Great Guana Cay, Exumas, Bahamas
12 March 2019 | White Point, Great Guana Cay, Exumas, Bahamas
11 March 2019 | White Point, Great Guana Cay, Exumas, Bahamas
11 March 2019 | White Point, Great Guana Cay, Exumas, Bahamas
10 March 2019 | Isaac Bay, Great Guana Cay, Exumas, Bahamas
09 March 2019 | Blackpoint, Great Guana Cay, Exuma Islands, Bahama
Recent Blog Posts

No blog posts yet...

107 Steps

02 April 2015 | Elliot Key
clear, sunny and breezy
After Charlie’s fantastic scrambled eggs, bacon and toast, we all dinghied to shore and walked the half mile to the lighthouse for the first tour at 10:00. We heard a bit of history of the Key Biscayne Lighthouse. It was built in 1825, is the oldest standing structure in Dade County, was destroyed by an attack by the Seminole Indians and was rebuilt in 1846 and raised to a height of 95 feet. We were then allowed to climb the 107 steps to the top. I know, I counted, and my thighs will be able to remind me for the next couple of days. The light and lens itself is another 10-12 steep steps higher. They allow you to go out onto the outside deck and the 360 view is fantastic. We could see the seven remaining stilt houses in Stiltsville quite well. The half mile walk back to the boat helped relax the threatening cramps in my thighs. Back to the boat and weighed anchor to head south to Elliot Key. At first the wind was very mild and we motored, but the wind gradually built and we actually turned off the engine and sailed for an hour or so. Kim spent her time on the bow of the boat, reading, relaxing and watching the flying fish. I fixed lunch, then went to my cabin to read and take a nap. Charlie minded the helm and the sails. Jack kept him company in the cockpit. Charlie decided not to go up into the creek between Adams Key and Elliot Key to try and stay out of the current, so we anchored just west of Adams Key in Biscayne Bay. He didn’t really succeed though, because the current is just as strong here and has held us sideways to the wind for most of the evening. We are somewhat exposed to the chop, but it isn’t too bad. We are just swaying a bit. Everyone seems to be exhausted from our excursion to the lighthouse this morning and then all the sun and wind while sailing this afternoon. Not even 9:00 and Jack and Kim are in their cabin. Wind is blowing about 12 to 15 this evening. Just a bit cool.
Comments
Wyvern's Photos - Main
3 Photos
Created 12 December 2010
Our 1996 Hunter 45
9 Photos
Created 12 December 2010