Wyvern's Wanderings

Vessel Name: Wyvern
Vessel Make/Model: 1977 Irwin Ketch
Hailing Port: El Jobean, Florida
Crew: Charlie and Phyllis Atha
About: After living aboard our 42' Irwin for almost 10 years, we sold her and bought a home in El Jobean, Florida. Bought a storm damaged 1996 Hunter 45 and have been working on it for the past 3 years. THEN we sold the Hunter and purchased the Irwin back. Feels like home!
Extra: Both Charlie and Phyllis are USCG licensed captains and ASA sailing instructors.
Social:
27 March 2019 | Nassau Harbor, New Providence, Bahamas
25 March 2019 | Nassau, New Providence, Bahamas
24 March 2019 | Norman's Cay, Exumas, Bahamas
23 March 2019 | Shroud Cay, Exuma Islands, Bahamas
22 March 2019 | Hawksbill Cay & Wardwick Wells, Exuma Islands, Bahamas
21 March 2019 | Emerald Rock, Wardwick Wells, Exuma Islands, Bahamas
20 March 2019 | Johnny Depp's Island, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
19 March 2019 | Staniel Cay, Exuma Islands, Bahamas
19 March 2019 | Staniel Cay, Exuma Islands, Bahamas
18 March 2019 | Staniel Cay, Exuma Islands, Bahamas
17 March 2019 | Staniel Cay, Exuma Islands, Bahamas
16 March 2019 | Blackpoint, Great Guana Cay, Exuma Islands, Bahama
15 March 2019 | Blackpoint, Great Guana Cay, Exuma Islands, Bahama
14 March 2019 | White Point, Great Guana Cay, Exumas, Bahamas
13 March 2019 | White Point, Great Guana Cay, Exumas, Bahamas
12 March 2019 | White Point, Great Guana Cay, Exumas, Bahamas
11 March 2019 | White Point, Great Guana Cay, Exumas, Bahamas
11 March 2019 | White Point, Great Guana Cay, Exumas, Bahamas
10 March 2019 | Isaac Bay, Great Guana Cay, Exumas, Bahamas
09 March 2019 | Blackpoint, Great Guana Cay, Exuma Islands, Bahama
Recent Blog Posts

No blog posts yet...

Sailing & Snorkeling

05 April 2015 | Bahia Honda State Park
sunny, warm and breezy
Sailing and snorkeling sort of sums up our day. We dropped the mooring at Indian Key about 8:30. I made eggs benedict for breakfast underway. We motor sailed all day due to the wind being behind us and not enough velocity to keep our speed up. Our first destination was Coffin Patch, a snorkeling area on the reef, about 14 or so miles away. All the moorings were taken, it being Easter Sunday, so we had to anchor in the sand just outside the mooring buoys. I didn't go snorkeling because I had pulled a muscle a few days ago and it was just getting better. I wasn't going to push it., But, Charlie, Jack and Kim said it was a pretty reef to snorkel with all kinds of fish and coral. Charlie had traveled outside the reef trolling with a lure and a ballyhoo, but only caught some seaweed. We really aren't know for our fishing. From Coffin Patch, we motorsailed along the reef to Sombrero Reef Light, having lunch on the way. We had our choice of moorings here which really surprised us. Sombrero being a popular place. But it was getting close to 4:00. Kim outlasted Jack in the water. She actually saw a turtle, which is rather rare. We then headed in for the day, to Bahia Honda State Park. On the way we had a small pod of dolphins swim with the boat, at the bow, for quite a while. Kim was quite excited to sit on the bow and watch them. At Bahia Honda we anchor between the old Flagler bridge and the newer Hwy 1 bridge. They have cut a portion out of the old Flagler trestle bridge to allow sailboats to enter. Flagler financed and built the Overseas Railroad from Miami to Key West in the late 1800s. Before the railroad was established the only way to traverse the islands was by boat or ship. He built bridges from one island to the next all the way down the Keys. The longest being seven miles long. It was quite a feat. The railroad quit around 1934, due to the rails being washed out during a hurricane. The devastating damage being done to the rails on the islands rather than damage to the bridges. The bridges are still standing, a little worse for wear, but in surprisingly good shape, though they are no longer used other than for fishing piers, etc. When the railroad shut down, the state purchased the right of way and used the bridges to build a highway. Bahia Honda has the only trestle type bridge, which prevented widening the rail bed for vehicles, so they built the road atop the trestles themselves. Quite interesting. We arrived here about 6:00 and had enchiladas for dinner with rice, beans and salad. We will wait until tomorrow to go ashore. Lots of campers and visitors at the park though, even for a Sunday afternoon. The snorkeling areas were a bit rolly and bumpy today. But, we are sitting quite calm in the protection of the island. The current sure runs through this cut though.
Comments
Wyvern's Photos - Main
3 Photos
Created 12 December 2010
Our 1996 Hunter 45
9 Photos
Created 12 December 2010