Wyvern's Wanderings

Vessel Name: Wyvern
Vessel Make/Model: 1977 Irwin Ketch
Hailing Port: El Jobean, Florida
Crew: Charlie and Phyllis Atha
About: After living aboard our 42' Irwin for almost 10 years, we sold her and bought a home in El Jobean, Florida. Bought a storm damaged 1996 Hunter 45 and have been working on it for the past 3 years. THEN we sold the Hunter and purchased the Irwin back. Feels like home!
Extra: Both Charlie and Phyllis are USCG licensed captains and ASA sailing instructors.
Social:
27 March 2019 | Nassau Harbor, New Providence, Bahamas
25 March 2019 | Nassau, New Providence, Bahamas
24 March 2019 | Norman's Cay, Exumas, Bahamas
23 March 2019 | Shroud Cay, Exuma Islands, Bahamas
22 March 2019 | Hawksbill Cay & Wardwick Wells, Exuma Islands, Bahamas
21 March 2019 | Emerald Rock, Wardwick Wells, Exuma Islands, Bahamas
20 March 2019 | Johnny Depp's Island, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
19 March 2019 | Staniel Cay, Exuma Islands, Bahamas
19 March 2019 | Staniel Cay, Exuma Islands, Bahamas
18 March 2019 | Staniel Cay, Exuma Islands, Bahamas
17 March 2019 | Staniel Cay, Exuma Islands, Bahamas
16 March 2019 | Blackpoint, Great Guana Cay, Exuma Islands, Bahama
15 March 2019 | Blackpoint, Great Guana Cay, Exuma Islands, Bahama
14 March 2019 | White Point, Great Guana Cay, Exumas, Bahamas
13 March 2019 | White Point, Great Guana Cay, Exumas, Bahamas
12 March 2019 | White Point, Great Guana Cay, Exumas, Bahamas
11 March 2019 | White Point, Great Guana Cay, Exumas, Bahamas
11 March 2019 | White Point, Great Guana Cay, Exumas, Bahamas
10 March 2019 | Isaac Bay, Great Guana Cay, Exumas, Bahamas
09 March 2019 | Blackpoint, Great Guana Cay, Exuma Islands, Bahama
Recent Blog Posts

No blog posts yet...

Key West Fun

07 April 2015 | Key West, Florida
sunny, warm and breezy
Yesterday, After another of Charlie's great breakfasts of banana pancakes, bacon and eggs, we dinghied into the tiny harbor at Bahia Honda State Park. Made a quick foray through their gift shop/dive shop/deli, then walked out on the old Flagler trestle bridge, on top where they built the car bridge over the train trestle. Charlie and I were disappointed because they have blocked it off about halfway to where they made the cut in the bridge for the boats to enter. You can't really view the bridge from the cutout section anymore. Took some pictures, then walked back down to the lower level where the train actually went through the trestle bridge. Jack and Kim wanted to enjoy the beach a while, and Charlie and I decided to dinghy back out to the boat. Jack and Kim called us about noon, ready to come back to the boat. After Charlie picked them up and we raised the dinghy up on the davits, we headed out of the anchorage. Put up the main and the jib with the wind basically on our stern. The wind was up pretty good and had the seas quite choppy. After some discussion, we all decided it was probably choppier out on the reef, too choppy to snorkel comfortably, and the decision was made to just sail all the way to Key West and spend an extra day there. Charlie tacked (or jibed) about 30 degrees off our rhumb line so the wind wasn't directly behind us and we could keep the jib full of wind. Too rough to fly wing to wing, which is putting the jib on one side and the main on the other. The waves have a tendency to make the boat sway from side to side allowing the possibility of an accidental jibe which isn't safe and hard on the boat. We arrived in Key West about 6:30, anchoring just north of the Coast Guard Station and we were in the dinghy headed for town. Someone had recommended the A & B Lobster House to Jack, so he treated us to a delicious dinner. I had crab cakes. Kim had scallops and the two guys had grilled Florida lobster. For dessert we had "the best Key Lime Pie in Key West" and a decadent chocolate tort. Yum! On the way back out to the boat, a Coast Guard boat was stopping dinghies and giving warnings. Our light was not high enough. It has be be the highest point on the boat including people aboard. Technically we are also suppose to have a red and green light on the front since we can go faster than 7 mph with our 15 hp outboard. But, they were really nice. The last couple of nights we have had gorgeous moon rises.

This morning, Charlie took Jack and Kim into town about 10:00. Charlie and I spent the morning on the boat, not doing much. I read and he did the breakfast dishes and other piddly things. About 1:00 we dinghied in and walk around town ourselves for a bit, then went to Schooner's Wharf for lunch and to watch Michael McCloud for about 3 sets. Then we went walking around, down to Duval, looking for a particular book I had read years ago called Charlotte's Story: A Florida Keys Diary 1934-1935. It is a true account of a couple's life on Elliot Key during that time. The book store didn't have the book, but I found it on Amazon and will order it from there. Jack and Kim called about 4:30 and they were at Schooner's Wharf. They caught about five songs before Michael McCloud was done for the day. We sat with them while they ate a really late lunch, early dinner. Then we all headed for Mallory Square for the pre sundown festivities there. Traditionally, people have gone to Mallory Square, which is on the water on the east shore of the island to watch the sun go down. Since the sun sets over water, versus over land, it is possible to see a green flash as the last bit of sun goes down. Since people gather there each evening, vendors and street performers get there an hour or so before dark and sell their goods and perform for the folks gathered. Watching the sunset has almost become secondary. It is a great place to get pictures of the sunset cruise schooners in all their glory with all sails set. They go right past the waterfront with the sunset behind them. On the way back to the dinghy dock, we found a place that was selling $5.00 Key West t-shirts, so had to stop and do some shopping. Tonight, Charlie had his extension pole for the dinghy light so we were almost legal. Still need the red and green I suppose. Charlie is making us brownies to top off the evening.
Comments
Wyvern's Photos - Main
3 Photos
Created 12 December 2010
Our 1996 Hunter 45
9 Photos
Created 12 December 2010