Wyvern's Wanderings

Vessel Name: Wyvern
Vessel Make/Model: 1977 Irwin Ketch
Hailing Port: El Jobean, Florida
Crew: Charlie and Phyllis Atha
About: After living aboard our 42' Irwin for almost 10 years, we sold her and bought a home in El Jobean, Florida. Bought a storm damaged 1996 Hunter 45 and have been working on it for the past 3 years. THEN we sold the Hunter and purchased the Irwin back. Feels like home!
Extra: Both Charlie and Phyllis are USCG licensed captains and ASA sailing instructors.
Social:
27 March 2019 | Nassau Harbor, New Providence, Bahamas
25 March 2019 | Nassau, New Providence, Bahamas
24 March 2019 | Norman's Cay, Exumas, Bahamas
23 March 2019 | Shroud Cay, Exuma Islands, Bahamas
22 March 2019 | Hawksbill Cay & Wardwick Wells, Exuma Islands, Bahamas
21 March 2019 | Emerald Rock, Wardwick Wells, Exuma Islands, Bahamas
20 March 2019 | Johnny Depp's Island, Exuma Cays, Bahamas
19 March 2019 | Staniel Cay, Exuma Islands, Bahamas
19 March 2019 | Staniel Cay, Exuma Islands, Bahamas
18 March 2019 | Staniel Cay, Exuma Islands, Bahamas
17 March 2019 | Staniel Cay, Exuma Islands, Bahamas
16 March 2019 | Blackpoint, Great Guana Cay, Exuma Islands, Bahama
15 March 2019 | Blackpoint, Great Guana Cay, Exuma Islands, Bahama
14 March 2019 | White Point, Great Guana Cay, Exumas, Bahamas
13 March 2019 | White Point, Great Guana Cay, Exumas, Bahamas
12 March 2019 | White Point, Great Guana Cay, Exumas, Bahamas
11 March 2019 | White Point, Great Guana Cay, Exumas, Bahamas
11 March 2019 | White Point, Great Guana Cay, Exumas, Bahamas
10 March 2019 | Isaac Bay, Great Guana Cay, Exumas, Bahamas
09 March 2019 | Blackpoint, Great Guana Cay, Exuma Islands, Bahama
Recent Blog Posts

No blog posts yet...

Overnight Sail Across the Great Bahama Bank

11 February 2016 | Frasier Hog Cay, Bahamas
Phyllis/cloudy and cold (to us Floridians anyway)
Charlie and I spent Wednesday morning getting the boat ready to do the overnight sail across the Great Bahama Bank. Normally, we take two days to cross and spend one night on the banks. The Banks are only 7 to 15 feet deep the whole way across, so we just move off the normal tracks that boats travel and drop the anchor. But, with the weather the way it has been this year, Wednesday and Wednesday night were predicted to be about the only time to actually sail across, but would be too bumpy to sleep comfortably on the Banks. Our red and green bow running lights went out and since we would be sailing at night, we needed to do something. So, I MacGyver a red/green light out of an old red/green cover we had for a dinghy running light flashlight, an old plastic flashlight, some wire and a spare 12 volt bulb. Wish I had taken a picture before I wired in into the bow light wiring and taped it all to the bow pulpit. We talked to Make It Easy and Gypsy Soul and they were leaving the marina at 1:30. We arrange a waypoint to meet them and we set off about 2:30 to meet up with them. We were also joined by a boat named Island Spirit. Charlie talked to the gentleman aboard and we ended up talking with them off and on all night. We didn’t need to go too fast. At an average of 5 kts, we would make Frazier Hog at daybreak. The wind was fickle, but all in all, we had a good sail. We did run the engine some, but as much for charging the batteries as for propulsion. The GPS chart plotter and the autopilot use a lot of energy, in addition to our normal consumption for the fridge, freezer, lights, etc. Charlie and I both had a chance to take a nap while the other watched the helm. Island Spirit arrived at the Northwest Channel Light before the rest of us and informed us that the light was not working. He spotted a piling with his radar, but no light. Sailing in the dark with an obstruction out there is a bit unnerving even though the GPS chart plotter is quite accurate where the boat is in relation to such things. The AIS radio was comforting to have. AIS is the automatic identification system which is required for all commercial boats and optional for pleasure boats. We had one tanker with all its lights on anchored just off our route. With the AIS, we had this information and didn’t have to wonder if he was moving, how fast and in what direction. The AIS tells us. Just as we were going through the relatively narrow cut from the banks to the Tongue of the Ocean another freighter came up on us from the rear. It was a bit uncomfortable to share the cut with him since he was about 200 feet and moving at 10kts. Determining the distance of lights at night is difficult, as is determining exactly the course of a boat from its lights. With the AIS we can track the movement of the vessel right on the chart plotter in relation to us and the water depths and land masses. Makes life much more comfortable. We arrived just late enough to have light to enter the channel up the east side of Frazier Hog Cay to the anchorage by the Berry Island Club. Once the anchors were down, everyone was ready to breathe a sigh of relief and to catch up on a bit of sleep. About noon, Charlie, Tim and I dinghied over to the Berry Island Club. We never know when we visit here whether or not the place is open and operating or not. This time it is in transition. It has been closed, but a young man named Terrell plans to have it open in about two weeks. He said he installed the two moorings that are available off the docks, with plans to install more. There is a break in the fuel line on the dock and he is talking to the fuel company about repairing it so he can sell fuel. He did say he would be able to sell us water if we wished to have some. Here it is $.35 a gallon. Much cheaper than at the Blue Water Marina in Bimini. We went back to the boats for lunch, then Troy joined us and we dinghied down to the beach on the south end of the island. I found some sea biscuits, a helmet conch shell and a couple of other small pretty shells. We made it back to the boat about 5:00. The skies were mostly cloudy all day. The sun tried to shine through the haze, but lost its battle. The temperature was in the sixties today. A bit cool with the northerly breeze. Charlie made his world famous grill cheese sandwiches for dinner. We are all cozy down in the boat and it will be an early night for us.
Comments
Wyvern's Photos - Main
3 Photos
Created 12 December 2010
Our 1996 Hunter 45
9 Photos
Created 12 December 2010