Brindabella

Vessel Name: Brindabella
Vessel Make/Model: Najad 405
Hailing Port: Suffolk Yacht Harbour, UK
Crew: Simon, Fiona and Daisy the dog!
About: Simon and Fiona had Brindabella built in Sweden before she was launched in 2009. They sailed her from Sweden back to Suffolk in the UK. They are now exploring the Mediterranean.
Recent Blog Posts
13 April 2024

Isola di Giannutri

Position update: At anchor off Isola di Giannutri

11 April 2024

Riva di Triano

Position update: Riva di Triano

09 April 2024

Porto di Roma

At 8.30am, we slipped our lines at Nettuno and headed towards the port of Rome. It was warm, but the air was muggy with little wind. On the VHF radio, we heard a Force 7 to 8 gale warning for Corsica, broadcast in Italian, French and English. Simon had already seen on the forecast an increase in swell [...]

08 April 2024

Nettuno

It was a calm day with a light wind, so we motorsailed from Ponza to the marina at Nettuno. We had been here last year and had to watch the depth at the marina entrance. In one patch the depth sounder recorded 2.7m, we draw 2.1m. On the approach to the marina, we prepared to tie up, alongside rather [...]

05 April 2024

Ponza

After a brief walk around Ventotene, we had breakfast in a café and bought a few food items in a little grocery shop. It was calm at sea, and we saw an army helicopter overhead, that did a fly by and circled the boat twice.

04 April 2024

Ventotene

After buying a few provisions, we left the island of Procida bound for the island of Ventotene.

02 April 2024

Procida

It took two and a half hours to motor out from Naples to Marina Grande on the island of Procida.

29 March 2024

Naples

Early in the morning, we were up walking Daisy and trying to decide whether to use Good Friday to travel to Naples. The forecast for the day was calm, but the following few days were going to be very windy. Simon had contacted Powerboat Marina in Santa Lucia, Naples and they replied that they had a berth [...]

26 March 2024

Marina d’Arechi

We prepared to leave Azimut marina as early as possible, as we knew that the swell would increase and make it uncomfortable in Salermo. Strong winds were forecast for the days ahead and we would be safer in the large modern marina, protected by a high stone sea wall.

23 March 2024

Salerno

Sunshine bathed the anchorage in the early morning when Daisy went for her walk. We left in calm and very low winds, so we motored all the way to Salerno. There was a lot of debris in the water such as bamboo and branches. I had to avoid a log which was attached to a floating upright tree!

Isola di Giannutri

13 April 2024
Simon
Position update: At anchor off Isola di Giannutri

Time: 5:15 hours Miles: 33nm Total Time: 45:30 hours Total Miles: 555nm

Riva di Triano

11 April 2024
Fiona
Position update: Riva di Triano

Time: 5:00 hours Miles: 30nm Total Time: 40:15 hours Total Miles: 522nm

Porto di Roma

09 April 2024
Fiona
At 8.30am, we slipped our lines at Nettuno and headed towards the port of Rome. It was warm, but the air was muggy with little wind. On the VHF radio, we heard a Force 7 to 8 gale warning for Corsica, broadcast in Italian, French and English. Simon had already seen on the forecast an increase in swell and wind for the next 24 hours for our next destination in Rome. We arrived at the marina at 1.30pm and put extra lines out to secure the boat. We ate on board that night and took Daisy for her final walk.

The wind started at 10pm and continued for the next day. Waves were rolling in the marina entrance. We had been here last year in similar conditions! We managed to get off the boat passerelle to take Daisy for her morning walk and take the rubbish and washing ashore. Once back on board, we caught up with admin tasks, then mid-afternoon we went for a walk along the beachfront and to the supermarket. The wind and swell had completely gone by the following day.

Time: 5:30 hours Miles: 28nm Total Time: 35:15 hours Total Miles: 492nm

Nettuno

08 April 2024
Fiona
It was a calm day with a light wind, so we motorsailed from Ponza to the marina at Nettuno. We had been here last year and had to watch the depth at the marina entrance. In one patch the depth sounder recorded 2.7m, we draw 2.1m. On the approach to the marina, we prepared to tie up, alongside rather than med moor. Sure enough we had exactly the same hammerhead berth as before!

We walked round the town looking for a restaurant and came across the old town. In the cobbled square, we spotted a little fish restaurant, with no English translation on the menu. The fish was excellent and for dessert, we each had a moretto, which is a very rich chocolate cake!

Time: 6:30 hours Miles: 40nm Total Time: 29:45 hours Total Miles: 464nm

Ponza

05 April 2024
Fiona
After a brief walk around Ventotene, we had breakfast in a café and bought a few food items in a little grocery shop. It was calm at sea, and we saw an army helicopter overhead, that did a fly by and circled the boat twice.



On the approach to Ponza, we were careful to anchor in the designated area, to the north of the bay. The ferries turn in the centre of the port to anchor at their bow and med moor at the quay. We had a barbecue in the early evening and watched the late-night ferry come in, just after dark. The following day we went ashore and looked round the delightful island.



On the Saturday, the Carabinieri (police) came alongside in their large tender. The officer started to fiddle around with a large fishing net. At first, I was amused, as I thought that he liked to fish in his spare time. However, instead of tying up and coming on board, he held the fishing net out. We had to place our passports and boat papers in the net, which he then took on board his boat, for the second officer to check. Happy with what he saw, he returned our documents and wished us a Buona giornata! We were pleased that he did not ask us to re- anchor, confirming that we had anchored in the correct area of the bay.

We spent 3 nights anchored here.





Time: 3:30 hours Miles: 23nm Total Time: 23:15 hours Total Miles: 424nm

Ventotene

04 April 2024
Fiona
After buying a few provisions, we left the island of Procida bound for the island of Ventotene.

Ventotene is one of the Pontine islands in the Tyrrhenian sea. We had a good sail there and it turned calm as we approached the island. We checked the seabed for rocks and found sand in which to anchor in line with the lighthouse. At 5pm a fisherman laid two nets right in front of the anchorage. He waved to us. We did not hear him raise the nets in the morning!

We had our first BBQ of the season.

It was a very small island with a Roman history and the nearby island of Santo Stefano was a former prison, where political opponents to Mussolini were housed during the Second World War.

Time: 5:30 hours Miles: 28nm Total Time: 19:45 hours Total Miles: 401nm

Procida

02 April 2024
Fiona
It took two and a half hours to motor out from Naples to Marina Grande on the island of Procida.

The port was lined with brightly coloured buildings in pink and yellow. There were shops, cafes, restaurants and the main port terminal in this location. We explored the island and walked across to Corricella. This was a delightful fishing village with pastel-coloured houses, shops and cafes. There were small fishing boats, and several fishermen were mending their nets. Daisy decided to go for a swim here.



We walked through the narrow streets to another marina on the opposite side of the island.

Time: 2:30 hours Miles: 12nm Total Time: 14:15 hours Total Miles: 373nm

Naples

29 March 2024
Fiona
Early in the morning, we were up walking Daisy and trying to decide whether to use Good Friday to travel to Naples. The forecast for the day was calm, but the following few days were going to be very windy. Simon had contacted Powerboat Marina in Santa Lucia, Naples and they replied that they had a berth free. However, we wondered how much protection we would get from a Southerly wind. In the end, we decided to leave anyway, otherwise we would get trapped in Salerno for several more days, at least we could move on and there would be plenty to do at Naples in the windy weather.

The sea was reasonably calm when we left and we initially motor sailed. However, just off the island of Capri, the wind increased, and we had a good sail across the bay and into Naples.

We were pleasantly surprised when we reached the marina in Naples. The small marina was located in Santa Lucia in the heart of Naples at a quiet corner near Castel dell ’Ovo. The marina staff were friendly and gave us a good berth, alongside, so we didn’t need to get the passerelle out. Restaurants lined one side of the quay and the other side had prestigious hotel fronts. Opposite, we had a good view of Vesuvius. The photo above is form the marina.

We knew that a Force 7 would be coming on the second night, so we prepared with fenders, extra ropes and rubber snubbers. We took the ensign in and put the bimini down. The wind would hit us on the bow. We prepared well and felt safe. We had an uncomfortable Saturday night with strong wind, followed by swell, but by the morning of Easter Sunday, it had calmed down considerably, and peace was restored.

Although the marina was in a very busy area, it had good security. On one side of the gates was a mass of people, cafes and restaurants but on the marina side it was such a contrast and quiet.



On Sunday we explored the city visiting two churches, a shopping mall, and a museum in the Spanish quarter. For lunch we had a pasta meal out, close to the marina.



On Monday we had lunch in Hotel Paradiso on the other side of the bay. We first visited this hotel in 1998 and this was the location where we made plans to start our own business. It is a wonderful hotel with amazing views over the bay of Naples.

The photo below is the view from Hotel Paradiso.



Time: 6:30 hours Miles: 40nm Total Time: 11:45 hours Total Miles: 361nm

Marina d’Arechi

26 March 2024
Fiona
We prepared to leave Azimut marina as early as possible, as we knew that the swell would increase and make it uncomfortable in Salermo. Strong winds were forecast for the days ahead and we would be safer in the large modern marina, protected by a high stone sea wall.

We departed Azimut marina in Salermo at 7.30am and left the fenders tied down against the boat, as it was too roly to get on deck and flick them in! We motored for the short trip across the bay to Marina D’Arechi. We had booked to top up the diesel at the fuel jetty at 8.30am.

In the marina, it was calm with little swell. Once we had refuelled, the marina staff tied us up in the berth. The sea wall gave us protection from the strong winds. We saw gusts of 31 knots and heavy rain.

While here, we took the opportunity to do the laundry in between the rain. We had a walk outside the marina and found a brand new Conad supermarket and a lovely local pizzeria, where we had lunch.

Time: 2:30 hours Miles: 4nm Total Time: 55:15 hours Total Miles: 321nm

Salerno

23 March 2024
Fiona
Sunshine bathed the anchorage in the early morning when Daisy went for her walk. We left in calm and very low winds, so we motored all the way to Salerno. There was a lot of debris in the water such as bamboo and branches. I had to avoid a log which was attached to a floating upright tree!

There were a few marinas in Salerno, we chose to go to Azimut, which was a lovely locals marina. The harbourmaster was very helpful and friendly. He gave us a bottle of Limoncello on our arrival.

The area around Salerno port and the cruise terminal is very modern and smart, with new concrete walkways. There was a small beach, good cafes, clothes shops and restaurants. The town was buzzing as it was Saturday night and lots of young people were out with their friends. We had a coffee and returned for a quick meal on board.

On Sunday, it was Palm Sunday and we went into the city to explore. We had breakfast out, as we had run down our boat breakfast stocks! We had a very nice coffee, croissant and fresh orange juice in a cup and saucer, with spoon in case it needed more sugar. We looked inside the cathedral and saw a choir emerge dressed in red and white gowns, holding small branches of olive trees.





We also visited Salerno's medical museum which showed a virtual video about the first medical school, founded in Salerno in the 9th Century. Herbs were grown in the botanical garden for medicinal purposes. It became the most important source of medical knowledge in Western Europe at that time.



The rest of our time was spent at the fruit and veg market, stocking up on supplies and at a small supermarket and fish shop. Simon cooked spaghetti vongole for dinner.

Time: 8:00 hours Miles: 52nm Total Time: 52:45 hours Total Miles: 317nm
Current Location
Brindabella's Photos - Main
32 Photos
Created 15 March 2024
102 Photos
Created 16 April 2023
100 Photos
Created 2 April 2022
77 Photos
Created 20 July 2021
54 Photos
Created 7 August 2020
105 Photos
Created 30 March 2019
120 Photos
Created 13 May 2018
69 Photos
Created 1 May 2017
69 Photos
Created 31 May 2016
66 Photos
Created 28 May 2015
50 Photos
Created 18 June 2014
Mini cruise to London for the week
7 Photos
Created 10 May 2013
3 month cruise from Suffolk Yacht Harbour to Golfe Du Morbihan in South Brittany
89 Photos
Created 7 April 2012
2012 cruise to the Atlantic Coast of France
77 Photos
Created 6 April 2012
2 month cruise from Suffolk Yacht Harbour to Brest
21 Photos
Created 18 May 2011

About & Links

Favorites
Photo Albums
15 March 2024
32 Photos
16 April 2023
102 Photos