Emerald Tales

Currently in Portugal after 7 years in the Mediterranean

22 March 2024 | Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
01 March 2024 | Porto Santo
23 February 2024 | Porto Santo
22 January 2024 | Madeira
15 December 2023 | Porto Santo
13 October 2023 | Porto Santo
15 September 2023 | Porto Santo
09 August 2023 | Porto Santo, Madeira
28 July 2023 | Porto Santo, Madeira
23 June 2023 | Porto Santo
15 January 2023 | Porto Santo
15 September 2022 | Porto Santo
19 August 2022 | Porto Santo
29 July 2022 | Porto Santo, Madeira

The Bard was wrong! There is Nothing Rotten in the State of Denmark!

15 June 2010 | Copenhagen to Helsingor 23Nm travelled
skip sunny, cloudy, windy and calm!
Well this is probably our last stop in Denmark, and we've really liked it here, the country is beautiful and the people really friendly, helpful and hugely proud of being Danish, and in my opinion rightly so!
We are currently moored under 'Elsinor' Castle of Hamlet fame (actually called Kronborg Castle), which is a GOOD view to sit and enjoy with morning coffee in the cockpit.
Our trip from Copenhagen was eventful, with a forecast of a F3~4 from the west and sunny....can you guess yet?!!!

Yes it was a 6~7 from the north west, meaning we were clsoe hauled and bashing to windward intially with all sail up which meant tremendous loads on the boat with it fully powered up, 7knots, 7.5 knots increasing towards 8 knots over the ground, with some stream against us (our through the water log is broken so I'm unsure what our hull speed was) but in the heavier gusts we were in danger of broaching the boat and as the wind was still increasing it was very much time to reef, and give my arms and shoulders a winch workout.

Nichola took the helm to give us more control and we eased the genny, whilst I furled furiously. The motion eased and things calmed down a little. It was then time to tame the monster main......

Ease the halyard past the reefing point, re-lock the clutch, then wind down the reefing line at the rear of the sail, lock that off, then go forward, hook in the forward reefing eye onto the horns at the boom, back to the cockpit winch and haul up the main to tighten everything up. Ok. boat back under control, wind still building.

Decide to tighten in the rear reefing line to get better sail shape and 'Baaaannng'

deary me, i said, oops said Nichola on the helm......

more of this later.

We got everything sorted, and then headed into the north harbour at Helsingor, unsure what to expect, but still with a F5 blowing which meant if possible choosing a favourable mooring with the wind to our advantage.

On final approach, oh deary me... is that a large fishing boat steaming out at about 6 knots (speed limit 2 knots) yes, right turn away, head out of the harbour slowly, good that's them out of the way. Back around and into the harbour, change of plan on final approach, we come at it from the opposite direction. Glide in (a bit faster than I'd intended) past the moored boat by approx 1ft. ooohhhhh sugar, we've only got about 2ft either end, so the space was shorter than I thought, but a bit of reverse, kick the stern in, stopped, and it almost looked like I meant it ;-)!!

We tidied up, then headed ashore to stretch our legs before returning for the famous Emerald Chilli and a well deserved beer.
slainte skip

PS more gossip and news in the next blog.
Comments
Vessel Name: Emerald
Vessel Make/Model: Kelly Peterson 44
Hailing Port: No fixed abode
Crew: Colin 'Skip' Wright, Nichola Wright
About: One from Northern Ireland, one from Yorkshire, UK
Extra: Emerald has been our home since 2004. We've sailed around the UK, the western Baltic and have spent 7 years in the Med. We're currently in Portugal, planning a refit. Lot's more information about us and the boat can be found at www.yachtemerald.com
Home Page: https://www.yachtemerald.com/
Social: