Emerald Tales

Currently in Portugal after 7 years in the Mediterranean

22 March 2024 | Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
01 March 2024 | Porto Santo
23 February 2024 | Porto Santo
22 January 2024 | Madeira
15 December 2023 | Porto Santo
13 October 2023 | Porto Santo
15 September 2023 | Porto Santo
09 August 2023 | Porto Santo, Madeira
28 July 2023 | Porto Santo, Madeira
23 June 2023 | Porto Santo
15 January 2023 | Porto Santo
15 September 2022 | Porto Santo
19 August 2022 | Porto Santo
29 July 2022 | Porto Santo, Madeira

Teabag Tank Removal

01 February 2013 | Brandy Hole, River Crouch, Essex
Nichola / Spring like afternoon
Pic: Seacock removed and ready to start on the tank

So far we have replaced 5 out of the 7 stainless steel tanks that Emerald had on her when we bought her. The 2 diesel tanks have been replaced with Tek-Tanks custom made, the bow water tank with 2 Vetus rigid plastic tanks and the 2 saloon water tanks with Vetus flexible tanks (flubbers as we call them).

All of the stainless tanks had developed leaks and as we took each one out we saw why - they were made with cheap 304 stainless steel rather than a better marine grade stainless; as well as being 33 years old.

Now was time to tackle the last 2 water tanks that are under the galley floor. We haven't been able to get these out before because to move them involves taking 2 seacocks out, probably not a good thing whilst in the water. You can see in the photo above, the hole where the seacock goes and the edge of the tank which is under the galley sink and freezer. The plan was to slide the tank out into the space, cut it into pieces that could be lifted out of the hole, slide the next bit of the tank out and so on until it was all out.

So yesterday Colin removed the seacock and set to with an angle grinder on the tank, the boat filled with a metallic dust that beat all our attempts to contain it and smelt like a burning clutch, which I could still smell this morning. Yesterday was not a happy day.

The tank required 2 hits and today Colin won and got the first one out. Here he is grinding away and making fireworks.

Colin grinding up the tank
Pic: Colin grinding out the tank

Now the tank is out leaving behind a 33 year old sludge - lovely!

So, one down, one more to go. The last tank is in a mirror position to the first and will involve taking out another seacock and yet more grinding.

But that probably won't be started tomorrow what with it being the start of the Six Nations - Swing Low Sweet Chariotttttttttttt - hee hee hee.

Meanwhile I'm getting covered in red anti-fouling dust from scraping off the old stuff from Emerald's bottom. As it dries out the anti-foul starts to crack which makes it easier to scrape off in those places, but unfortunately there aren't too many of those places and I keep looking at just how big the hull is and thinking..... should of got a smaller boat!!

Nichola
Comments
Vessel Name: Emerald
Vessel Make/Model: Kelly Peterson 44
Hailing Port: No fixed abode
Crew: Colin 'Skip' Wright, Nichola Wright
About: One from Northern Ireland, one from Yorkshire, UK
Extra: Emerald has been our home since 2004. We've sailed around the UK, the western Baltic and have spent 7 years in the Med. We're currently in Portugal, planning a refit. Lot's more information about us and the boat can be found at www.yachtemerald.com
Home Page: https://www.yachtemerald.com/
Social: