Emerald Tales

Currently in Portugal after 7 years in the Mediterranean

22 March 2024 | Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
01 March 2024 | Porto Santo
23 February 2024 | Porto Santo
22 January 2024 | Madeira
15 December 2023 | Porto Santo
13 October 2023 | Porto Santo
15 September 2023 | Porto Santo
09 August 2023 | Porto Santo, Madeira
28 July 2023 | Porto Santo, Madeira
23 June 2023 | Porto Santo
15 January 2023 | Porto Santo
15 September 2022 | Porto Santo
19 August 2022 | Porto Santo
29 July 2022 | Porto Santo, Madeira

Exploring La Coruna

21 August 2013 | La Coruna, Galicia, Spain
Nichola / Sunny and scorchio
Palacio Municipal in Maria Pita square

Monday 19th August
Any cloud and fog disappeared over night and Monday started warm with cloudless, blue skies. Emerald got a much needed bath washing off the thick salt that had encrusted everything following the Biscay crossing. Chores done we headed off (at the hottest time of the day I might add) to explore La Coruna. First up iinto the old town behind the marina with its medieval churches and surrounded by a high sea wall.

We wound our way through the wiggly streets down into Maria Pita square honouring a local lass who helped repel an English siege in 1589. The square is huge and contains the Palacio Municipal along one side, the other three sides made up of tall buildings all with glassed in balconies featuring lots of small panes of glass rather than single large panes - a feature of this area. Colonaded walkways run along the bottom of the buildings with cafes and shops.

Terraced buildins in la coruna
Terraced buildings

Heading west we walked along a maze of narrow streets lined with cafes with tables outside advertising a huge selection of tapas; octopus displayed in the windows of many.

winding through La Coruna streets
Heading through the tapas area

The cafes turned into a shopping district and then uphill to the observatory where we hoped to get a view of the town but there wasn't one. We aimed to head back to town by a different route but somewhere something went wrong (I blame the map which had hardly any road names listed and the roads themselves that didn't say what they were called) and we ended up going in almost the opposite direction we wanted, heading into the residential areas. All I can say is that they are big on concrete as a building medium. Once we realised our error (maybe 30 minutes later!) we made the most of where we were and went to the beach area along the north of the town. A wide promenade with cycle path took us along the busy beach, the sea looking very choppy with a strong wind blowing in from the north east. The breeze was very welcome as by now it was scorchio! Somehow we worked our way back to Maria Pita square and back to the marina.

All that walking deserved a treat so we headed out for tapas to the streets west of the main square. If anything there is too much choice! Having wandered back and forth several times we finally decided on 'Rey del Jamon' for a meaty starter then moving on to a fishy place for something else. But it didn't work that way. Having grabbed the last table and with drying hams hanging above our heads we ordered a plate of jamon and a plate of chorizo with bread. They were so good we were hooked and decided to go for another couple of plates and save the fish for another night. For 3 or 4 euro you got a lot of meat. So with eyes bigger than bellies we ordered 2 more meats and a cheese plate, but we were finally beaten and wrapped up our left overs to take home.

The Jamon that beat us
Round 2 of Rey del Jamon

The streets were thronged with people but without it being crowded and it made for great people watching at the next bar we went to. We headed home about midnight with the streets still busy and as we passed the restaurants and cafes people were still only just starting on huge plates of food.
Comments
Vessel Name: Emerald
Vessel Make/Model: Kelly Peterson 44
Hailing Port: No fixed abode
Crew: Colin 'Skip' Wright, Nichola Wright
About: One from Northern Ireland, one from Yorkshire, UK
Extra: Emerald has been our home since 2004. We've sailed around the UK, the western Baltic and have spent 7 years in the Med. We're currently in Portugal, planning a refit. Lot's more information about us and the boat can be found at www.yachtemerald.com
Home Page: https://www.yachtemerald.com/
Social: