Emerald Tales

Currently in Portugal after 7 years in the Mediterranean

22 March 2024 | Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
01 March 2024 | Porto Santo
23 February 2024 | Porto Santo
22 January 2024 | Madeira
15 December 2023 | Porto Santo
13 October 2023 | Porto Santo
15 September 2023 | Porto Santo
09 August 2023 | Porto Santo, Madeira
28 July 2023 | Porto Santo, Madeira
23 June 2023 | Porto Santo
15 January 2023 | Porto Santo
15 September 2022 | Porto Santo
19 August 2022 | Porto Santo
29 July 2022 | Porto Santo, Madeira

Rhinoceros hunting (no animals were harmed in the making of this blog)

02 October 2013 | Lisbon, Portugal
Nichola / warm then rain
Thursday 26th September
The bus from the marina goes all the way down past Belem so we headed there one afternoon with our 'zapping' travel cards (top up €5, swipe the card on each trip on bus, metro and possibly tram and €1.25 is deducted per trip).

The wind was blowing strong from the south with white horses in the river, ominous black clouds were lurking about but when the sun broke through it was still hot. Our main reason for visiting Belem was to see who could find the rhinoceros carved into the Belem Tower first. Colin won, but the carving is looking a bit worn down by wind and weather.

Rhinoceros
Rhinoceros carving

Just beyond the tower is a fort with a military museum and the Portuguese memorial to fallen servicemen in the wars. A military guard stands on duty and we watched them do their changing of the guard ceremony. On our way back we saw one of the previous guards lounging on the wall of the fort, aviator shades on and fag hanging out - perhaps the reward for having stood still on guard for however long!

War memorial
War memorial

We had a look from land this time at the Monument to the Discoveries and then walked to the Mosteiro de Jeronimos for a look inside (it was free). Worth a look as the architecture is very impressive.

We decided to walk back along the river to the centre of Lisbon with the aim of a cocktail in a pavement cafe as a reward. The first part of the walk was pleasant alongside parks and then under the Ponte 25 de Abril. Still the same intense buzzing noise as when we passed under in Emerald, they have even turned the noise of it into artwork. The cars drive over a metal mesh which generates the vuuuummm noise - imagine being locked in a box with lots of angry bees and that should be close to how it sounds. The trains then add a slightly different pitched vruuuuummm every so often.

Under the bridge
Bridge vruuuummmm artwork

We could still hear the bridge noise, albeit fainter, by the time we got to Doca de Alcantara so we were glad we hadn't gone here instead of Parque das Nacoes, although we could see many visiting boats were in. The sky was getting darker and the walk scenery had deteriorated into derelict warehouses and before long we were being rained on. We took shelter for a while and then dashed for it during a lull, but we still looked like two half-drowned rats by the time we got on the steaming bus, all thoughts of cocktails replaced by a desire for a nice, hot cup of tea. Oh dear!
Comments
Vessel Name: Emerald
Vessel Make/Model: Kelly Peterson 44
Hailing Port: No fixed abode
Crew: Colin 'Skip' Wright, Nichola Wright
About: One from Northern Ireland, one from Yorkshire, UK
Extra: Emerald has been our home since 2004. We've sailed around the UK, the western Baltic and have spent 7 years in the Med. We're currently in Portugal, planning a refit. Lot's more information about us and the boat can be found at www.yachtemerald.com
Home Page: https://www.yachtemerald.com/
Social: