Emerald Tales

Currently in Portugal after 7 years in the Mediterranean

22 March 2024 | Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
01 March 2024 | Porto Santo
23 February 2024 | Porto Santo
22 January 2024 | Madeira
15 December 2023 | Porto Santo
13 October 2023 | Porto Santo
15 September 2023 | Porto Santo
09 August 2023 | Porto Santo, Madeira
28 July 2023 | Porto Santo, Madeira
23 June 2023 | Porto Santo
15 January 2023 | Porto Santo
15 September 2022 | Porto Santo
19 August 2022 | Porto Santo
29 July 2022 | Porto Santo, Madeira

Sagres and Cape St Vincent

13 March 2014 | Sagres, Portugal
Nichola / Windy
Monday 3rd March
This is the approach to the imposing fortaleza (fortress) at Sagres. Built to repel invaders from the sea it saw action trying to see off Francis Drake back in the 16th century.

canon
This is where we anchored when we rounded Cape St. Vincent. Didn't know there were canon pointing at us!

Much of the original fort which had walls that ran right around the headland, were destroyed in a huge earthquake that hit Portugal in 1755. The fortifications that remain were rebuilt in 1793 and have since been set up as they would have been at the time of Drake's attack. The fort also contains the remains of a 43m diameter wind rose thought to be from Henry the Navigators school of navigation from the 13th century. Apparently it was used to measure the direction of the wind (there was plenty of it) but it was disappointing to see they hadn't bothered keeping it free of weeds.

windrose
Disappointing windrose

You have to enter the fort (€3) to be able to walk out around the promontory and to see the views. The surface of the promontary is a limestone pavement with some rare plants growing. Even though it was only February there were plenty of flowers starting to bloom on the hardy plants that have to withstand a harsh salty and windy environment.

chapel
15th century Chapel inside the fort

A walkway takes you around the edge of the promontary with a study fence to stop people getting too close to the sheer drop of the high cliffs. Apart from the crazy fishermen that is who stand precariously on the edge. One wrong move and it's a loooooong way down. Out at the headland (Ponta de Sagres) are some blowholes in the rock that go right down to the sea, you could hear the waves crashing inside.

Crazy fisherman
fisherman

This is how far he'll fall if he makes one wrong move
fisher on cliff

After the fort we drove along towards the cape with a picnic along the way. It was pretty windy but the car made a good windbreak. Dozens of sufers looked like seals bobbing about in the sea way down at the bottom of the cliffs. Sagres is a surfer town.

picnic

Picnic over it was on to the cape where the wind buffeted us from the north west, but unfortunately the waves and swell weren't that high that we got see any dramatic crashing against the cliffs.

Comments
Vessel Name: Emerald
Vessel Make/Model: Kelly Peterson 44
Hailing Port: No fixed abode
Crew: Colin 'Skip' Wright, Nichola Wright
About: One from Northern Ireland, one from Yorkshire, UK
Extra: Emerald has been our home since 2004. We've sailed around the UK, the western Baltic and have spent 7 years in the Med. We're currently in Portugal, planning a refit. Lot's more information about us and the boat can be found at www.yachtemerald.com
Home Page: https://www.yachtemerald.com/
Social: