Emerald Tales

Currently in Portugal after 7 years in the Mediterranean

22 March 2024 | Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
01 March 2024 | Porto Santo
23 February 2024 | Porto Santo
22 January 2024 | Madeira
15 December 2023 | Porto Santo
13 October 2023 | Porto Santo
15 September 2023 | Porto Santo
09 August 2023 | Porto Santo, Madeira
28 July 2023 | Porto Santo, Madeira
23 June 2023 | Porto Santo
15 January 2023 | Porto Santo
15 September 2022 | Porto Santo
19 August 2022 | Porto Santo
29 July 2022 | Porto Santo, Madeira

The place to be seen to see the sunset?

19 June 2014 | San Antonio, Ibiza
Nichola / sun and cloud
Lots of masts in the anchorage

We sort of knew what to expect from San Antonio given it's reputation for lager drinking British yobs, but what was surprising was how underdressed everyone was! I wanted to tell the micro-bikini clad girls to have some respect but they'd have just looked at me and said 'whatever' or whatever it is is in now.

The anchorage was busy but a boat was leaving and we jumped into the space they left. As we dingied ashore through the anchorage we were surprised how many floating wrecks there were with permanent crusty type liveaboards on them. The ferry boats weaved their way between the boats but we weren't plagued by any jet skis, although the Twister boat did hit a catermeran on the edge of the anchorage.

There is a dinghy dock with rings to lock to but no accessible water taps. Plenty of supermarkets including a Lidl 10 minutes walk away. The area behind the marina is tatty with bars and restaurants with a definate eye towards catering to a British taste.

sunset
Waiting for sunset

Around the corner from the bay facing west is 'sunset strip' where the chill out bars are, including the original Cafe del Mar. Wednesday night we went to watch the sunset with a thousand or so others. The rocky foreshore was full of holidayers swigging from bottles and the bars were heaving. Club reps handed out free passes, we were a bit miffed no one offered them to us. Then a girl tried to tout her club to me and Pat - we were much cheered by that! We lounged against a wall people watching - a scantily clad girl clutching an empty wine bottle started gyrating in front of a group of Inbetweener type boys - they just laughed at her! Two future Jordans paraded around in revealing swimsuits sticking out every sticky out bit as far as they would go. The sunset was a non event as it was cloudy to the west but a few people clapped anyway. Ahhhh. Then the clubber PR parades arrived, one of them had some eye candy for the ladies so that was alright.

sunset strip
Sunset strip

pr
A very overdressed club PRer plus a cheeky cheek

What was surprising was how many older people were holidaying in San Antonio. Many of them were on the bus with me and Pat as we escaped to Ibiza town for the day. What a different place. Wide boulevards, flower baskets and the UNESCO old town with the town walls and narrow winding streets to wander around. Pretty cafes for lunching at and lots of shops for some retail therapy.

Ibiza town
Ibiza old town

The two nights we were there were fairly peaceful overnight. The most annoying noise was from an awful entertainer at an oldies hotel just ashore from where we anchored. The disco boats came and went with a few woops and disco beats but it all quietened down after midnight.

At the end of the day we're not exactly it's target market, we managed to not get knifed or robbed, the anchoring was fine with sufficient swinging room, San Antonio was an interesting place to people watch and see a small side of the clubbing scene... for a brief amount of time anyway!

Comments
Vessel Name: Emerald
Vessel Make/Model: Kelly Peterson 44
Hailing Port: No fixed abode
Crew: Colin 'Skip' Wright, Nichola Wright
About: One from Northern Ireland, one from Yorkshire, UK
Extra: Emerald has been our home since 2004. We've sailed around the UK, the western Baltic and have spent 7 years in the Med. We're currently in Portugal, planning a refit. Lot's more information about us and the boat can be found at www.yachtemerald.com
Home Page: https://www.yachtemerald.com/
Social: