Emerald Tales

Currently in Portugal after 7 years in the Mediterranean

22 March 2024 | Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
01 March 2024 | Porto Santo
23 February 2024 | Porto Santo
22 January 2024 | Madeira
15 December 2023 | Porto Santo
13 October 2023 | Porto Santo
15 September 2023 | Porto Santo
09 August 2023 | Porto Santo, Madeira
28 July 2023 | Porto Santo, Madeira
23 June 2023 | Porto Santo
15 January 2023 | Porto Santo
15 September 2022 | Porto Santo
19 August 2022 | Porto Santo
29 July 2022 | Porto Santo, Madeira

When the wind blows

04 September 2014 | Isola Favignana, Sicily
Nichola / F9 gusts
This is our wind history from Monday. You can see we had a few hours of strong winds and fierce gusts. Probably the most afraid I've been for a while - if the anchor let go we wouldn't really have had much time to do anything about it. We knew the anchor was well buried in sand but there was still a small fear that something could go wrong.

The winds on the first day were from the west which wasn't an ideal direction for the anchorage; however they were forecast to go north west which would be better. If things went wrong there were buoys to pick up. In theory!

The signs of the approaching storm came with the swell early Monday morning. A few hours later the wind followed. We bounced up and down in the sea, buffeted by 30kt winds which kept on rising. Squalls of over 40kt bore down on us blowing the tops off waves and testing our anchors to the limit. Pimentao and Riverdancer lost snubbers but luckily all four of us held fast to our anchors.

Gilly suggested a word game over the radio which helped pass the time. We've sat through a storm before on Jura where we were on a mooring buoy; there Emerald sat to the wind and it never really got that uncomfortable; here every time a squall arrived we were pushed sideways testing the anchor's limits. Every so often we started the engine just to make sure all was ok.

Then in the middle of the afternoon the wind drastically decreased and began to spin around from every direction making things very uncomfortable as the big swell was still from the west. Bounce and roll, bounce and roll we sat there wondering what on earth was going on. Much of the time we didn't even sit to the wind or the swell so who knows what was causing that. It was almost as worrying as there being strong winds as we didn't know what was going on.

By evening things had settled down with the wind from the north west and the bulk of Monte Santa Caterina giving us shelter. Rain arrived which was handy as it washed all the salt spray off the boat. We were still rolling like pigs in mud which made getting to sleep a bit tricky but we felt much safer now.

Comments
Vessel Name: Emerald
Vessel Make/Model: Kelly Peterson 44
Hailing Port: No fixed abode
Crew: Colin 'Skip' Wright, Nichola Wright
About: One from Northern Ireland, one from Yorkshire, UK
Extra: Emerald has been our home since 2004. We've sailed around the UK, the western Baltic and have spent 7 years in the Med. We're currently in Portugal, planning a refit. Lot's more information about us and the boat can be found at www.yachtemerald.com
Home Page: https://www.yachtemerald.com/
Social: