Emerald Tales

Currently in Portugal after 7 years in the Mediterranean

22 March 2024 | Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
01 March 2024 | Porto Santo
23 February 2024 | Porto Santo
22 January 2024 | Madeira
15 December 2023 | Porto Santo
13 October 2023 | Porto Santo
15 September 2023 | Porto Santo
09 August 2023 | Porto Santo, Madeira
28 July 2023 | Porto Santo, Madeira
23 June 2023 | Porto Santo
15 January 2023 | Porto Santo
15 September 2022 | Porto Santo
19 August 2022 | Porto Santo
29 July 2022 | Porto Santo, Madeira

First Last Day

01 August 2007 | Brighton
Skip, Warm and sunny, just like the weather ;-)
First last day

Well we are still stuck in Brighton at our pontoon berth (or dock/slip if you are from across the pond!). This is due partly to weather and partly to a seized main halyard and partly to schedules of other trips. All in all there aren't enough hours in the day to get the boat done, hold down the job, get enough sleep and see our friends......... never mind plan the wedding!!!!!!!!!!!!!

However there is light at the end of the tunnel!! We have today entered a new and VERY exciting phase of the escape plan.

We aim to work to the end of July next year to build up the cruising fund, and pay for an extra year of marina fees up to 1st of May 2009. That will mean I've been living in Brighton Marina for exactly 7 years and on boats for 8 years...... doesn't time fly.

So what is this new and exciting phase? We have less than a year to go! That means every day we work will be the last calendar day we have to work on eg today being 1st August means this is the last 1st August we ever have to work!!!! What a wonderful, wonderful thought!
Every day now is one less to work towards our goal. Suddenly the pressure of all of this is beginning to lift and we can truly start to believe it is really going to happen.

The list of jobs on the boat is as daunting and intimidating as ever but in reality once we finish next year we have all the time in the world to get them completed. Imagine that (all you full time cruisers out there already know this I guess) we will never have to work to anyone else's schedule but ours, we'll never have to deal with pathetic office politics and pecking order, or drag ourselves out of bed at 5am for a 2 hour commute from the haven of the sea to the city and the endless pursuit of wealth. I can begin to taste the true meaning of Freedom.

Sure we won't have much money.... But we will have enough money to afford a bottle of wine with dinner, a trip home to the UK every so often to see the family and all repairs on the boat (all being well). We haven't budgeted for marina stays, and are thinking probably one night every two weeks in the med to pick up fresh food, water and laundry. And perhaps a winter stay if we can find a good enough deal, if not we'll tuck ourselves into a river near a town or city.

So now we're over halfway on our first last day!


Skip out.


PS the picture comes from APRS which will allow friends and family to follow us.

Comments
Vessel Name: Emerald
Vessel Make/Model: Kelly Peterson 44
Hailing Port: No fixed abode
Crew: Colin 'Skip' Wright, Nichola Wright
About: One from Northern Ireland, one from Yorkshire, UK
Extra: Emerald has been our home since 2004. We've sailed around the UK, the western Baltic and have spent 7 years in the Med. We're currently in Portugal, planning a refit. Lot's more information about us and the boat can be found at www.yachtemerald.com
Home Page: https://www.yachtemerald.com/
Social: