Emerald Tales

Currently in Portugal after 7 years in the Mediterranean

22 March 2024 | Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
01 March 2024 | Porto Santo
23 February 2024 | Porto Santo
22 January 2024 | Madeira
15 December 2023 | Porto Santo
13 October 2023 | Porto Santo
15 September 2023 | Porto Santo
09 August 2023 | Porto Santo, Madeira
28 July 2023 | Porto Santo, Madeira
23 June 2023 | Porto Santo
15 January 2023 | Porto Santo
15 September 2022 | Porto Santo
19 August 2022 | Porto Santo
29 July 2022 | Porto Santo, Madeira

Days of ups and downs

06 July 2009 | Yarmouth
Nichola / Windy and showers / Total dist travelled 69.8nm
We've arrived safe in Yarmouth after a few days of ups and downs.

We had a blustery day of SW F6-7 whilst at anchor near Itchenor and spent the night and day fretting whilst going round in circles on the anchor being pulled by tide and wind and not getting much sleep. But we didn't budge so thought as we must be so well dug in after all that spinning lets stay put. And the wind died down in the evening as forecast and we had our best nights sleep so far.

We had planned to push on to Yarmouth on the Saturday but given how tired we'd been and not having had chance for a little explore around the harbour we decided to stay another day. So off on a dinghy adventure to Boshum to find a newsagent for papers and lottery. Except we'd slightly mistimed it as the tide was on its way out... and after asking a local we discovered the nearest local shop for local people was 1 1/2 miles away. Cue a very fast walk/run for me whilst Colin returned to the dinghy to make sure we didn't run out of water. I didn't fancy paddling through the mud to get to it! I made it back just in time.

We then went on a trip to Itchenor and a lovely pint in the sun at the Ship Inn. Unfortunately the down came when the dinghy outboard packed up on the way back with the tide against us.... Cue some rowing from Colin although the engine did start again and we were able to motor the last bit.

Sunday we decided to head for Yarmouth although the forecast was hinting at SW F7. It was a bit lumpy and we ended up motor sailing most of the way as the wind was right on our nose and we wanted to get to Yarmouth before the wind got worse. It was a little bit stressful.

So now here we are tucked up in Yarmouth on a pontoon. We have a list of little fixes to do, including the fuel for the dinghy. We have just been rafted up to unfortunately by people with ineffectual fenders so lucky we have plenty of big bertha fenders to protect my recently varnished toe rail. Grrrr!

We'll most likely be here for 3 nights, its cheaper from Mon-Thur (only 10.50 per night) whilst the wind blows a bit calmer and we can have a little look around.
Comments
Vessel Name: Emerald
Vessel Make/Model: Kelly Peterson 44
Hailing Port: No fixed abode
Crew: Colin 'Skip' Wright, Nichola Wright
About: One from Northern Ireland, one from Yorkshire, UK
Extra: Emerald has been our home since 2004. We've sailed around the UK, the western Baltic and have spent 7 years in the Med. We're currently in Portugal, planning a refit. Lot's more information about us and the boat can be found at www.yachtemerald.com
Home Page: https://www.yachtemerald.com/
Social: