Yacht Larus

A slow circumnavigation

Vessel Name: Larus
Vessel Make/Model: Slipper 42
Hailing Port: Southampton
Crew: Tim Chapman and Nancy Martiniuk
About: Sailing together since 1988
Home Page: Http://www.sailblogs.com/member/yachtlarus
18 June 2016
03 December 2015 | Nanny Cay, Tortola, BVI
03 June 2015 | Antigua
19 October 2014 | Trinidad
04 July 2014 | Bequia
02 March 2014 | Chaguaramas, Trinidad
25 February 2014
24 January 2014 | Bequia
18 December 2013
09 December 2013
23 October 2013 | Port de Plaisance, St Martin
05 September 2013
11 June 2013
11 June 2013
Recent Blog Posts
18 June 2016

Blog is moving

There is no perfect blog site for those of us who have almost permanent internet challenges, however we're moving from Sailblogs now to a new blog site. The posts here will remain but all future posts will be at;

21 February 2016

Every cloud has a silver lining

It came to light during the Boat show that the boat's insurers were insisting that the delivery skipper had an Ocean endorsement on their Yachtmaster ticket. Tim doesn't have this. He's had his Yachtmaster for over 20 years and in those days Yachtmaster Offshore was the highest level of certification. [...]

04 February 2016

Best laid plans and all that.

Belated Happy New Year to all.

03 December 2015 | Nanny Cay, Tortola, BVI

Blog 78 - Cruising once again

Having just reread our last blog, I'm pleasantly surprised to find that it was pretty much spot on.

03 June 2015 | Antigua

Work, Work and more work.

It is an awfully long time since our last blog and we really haven't been doing much other than working.

27 October 2014

On the hard Chaguaramas and crusing in Tobago

Spring this year, April to July, found us working pretty hard. Summer found us spending our hard earned gains treating Larus and ourselves to some TLC. While Tim and I visited friends and family in Canada and the UK, we left Larus on the hard in Coral Cove Marina, Chaguaramas, Trinidad in the care [...]

19 October 2014 | Trinidad

New paint job

Couldn't resist painting the boat at Trinidad prices. Looking gorgeous in a slightly warmer shade of white. Also rolled on 4 more coats of Coppercoat for good measure.

04 July 2014 | Bequia

We’re still here!

And by ‘here’ I mean, Guadeloupe, St Vincent and the Grenadines, St Marten and the British Virgin Islands. We have been working quite a lot over the last few months, and are currently in the Grenadines doing nothing but looking after Larus and pleasing ourselves.

02 March 2014 | Chaguaramas, Trinidad

The Run Up to Carnival

Trinidad is obsessed with Carnival. I've read that between Carnivals, the Trini's are either reminiscing about the previous Carnival or planning for the next.

25 February 2014

Trinidad

With our week long charter in the BVI completed we headed back to Bequia. Again, we had a great time and many laughs with our guests on 'Faith.' We also celebrated our Captain's birthday with cake, candles and, most importantly, ice cream.

24 January 2014 | Bequia

Charters and Bequia

Both Tim and I have been out on charter. I worked for two weeks in Guadeloupe on a 70' Flagship catamaran while Tim got called out to a short notice charter in the BVI.

Caught up!

23 October 2013 | Port de Plaisance, St Martin
It's not as in sequence as I'd like, but I'm starting to get confused with all this to'ing and fro'ing we've been doing.

We are sneaking up on the present, are not quite there yet, but will be there by the end of this blog. *phew*



So after the fire training and time visiting our respective family and friends, we dashed up to St Martin to do our shore based training, training charter. We'd taken Larus to St Vincent and left her there on a mooring in the Blue Lagoon. This was August and the peak of the hurricane season, so as soon as our charter was done, we hopped on a couple of planes to get us back to St Vincent.

We quickly moved the boat to Bequia and had a couple of days there cleaning the bottom and just enjoying having Admiralty Bay very nearly to ourselves.

 photo m_003BequiaWaterfrontSept2013_zps9d3e774a.jpg

View of Bequia waterfront. I was so glad we had this time in Bequia; it was the first time Tim felt 'Wow' about it. I'm very fond of Bequia myself.

One of the jobs we had to do before heading back down to Trinidad was clean the bottom of Larus. After 5 weeks in the very warm waters of The Blue Lagoon, St Vincent, she was hosting whole eco-systems. I was particularly taken with the tiny red crabs, some of which managed to hang on all the way to Trinidad.

There was enough growth on the bottom, that Tim decided to buy a couple of paint scrapers from the local hardware shop.

 photo m_001SolventsBequia_zps584e0f3b.jpg

I was much taken with their display of solvents.

 photo m_002IceCreamatGingerbreadBequia_zps5888e38d.jpg

Ice Cream at Gingerbread after a hard days scraping.

 photo m_004SunsetAdmiralBayBequia_zps4b06e63f.jpg

Sunset Bequia. We left the next morning for and overnight sail to Trinidad.

On the whole it was a good trip. The weather was a little different than we've experienced before much squallier.

 photo 001ArrivingTrinidadSeptember-afteranightwithsomesuperdupersqualls2_zps88258f9e.jpg

Sunrise over Trinidad. Special effects compliments of the squall clouds.

So we were back in Coral Cove, Chauguarmas where we spent a small amount of time doing stuff.

 photo 001cleaningtheanchorchainCoralCoveMarinaChaguarama_zps6094d3f0.jpg

Like giving the anchor chain a fresh water rinse and just getting Larus ready to be left again while we went BACK up to St Martin for the yearly company re-launch.

We were flown to Pointe a Pitre, Guadeloupe to deliver Unity, a 50' catamaran to St Martin.

 photo 005TimandUnityGuadeloup_zps73022144.jpg

Captain Tim on Unity. We left Guadeloupe for the St Martin at 5 in the evening for and overnight sail to St Martin.

We motored all the way but I was well entertained the next morning by dolphins.

Click here to see video of Dolphins

The launch was great. It was a week-long mix of meeting people, lectures and hands on training.

As we weren't needed to work for a couple of weeks, we decided head back down to Trinidad and bring Larus back up to St Martin before our upcoming charters in the BVI.

So we flew back down to Trinidad got Larus ship shape and headed north, back up to St Martin.

One of the things I really enjoyed during my time in Coral Cove was the sense of community.

 photo 002NoodlingwithWiliandBethany_zps26b60803.jpg

Bethany and Willi. Six days a week Willi led a 'Noodling' exercise class in the tiny Coral Cove pool.

We met so many people who we really hope to see again.

We broke the journey down into 24 to 36 hour passages. We overnighted to Bequia and sent out the next morning from Deshaies, Guadeloupe.

 photo 001StVinentTerrain_zpsd07aaf0b.jpg

The south coast of St Vincent struck me as particularly stunning on this trip. It was so lush and green and I love the dramatic landscape of a volcanic island.

Cooling hard-boiled eggs uses a lot of water, so I thought I'd try cooling them like this - dragged behind the back of the back of the boat in a net bag.

 photo 002coolinghardboiledeggs_zps6c362bfd.jpg

One of the eggs had split while cooking and Tim wondered if that would be a problem. After about 10 minutes of the eggs water skiing behind boat, we hauled them in to find ...

 photo 003semi-peeledeggs_zps1a7e190a.jpg

..five partially peeled eggs. Fantastic! Only I'd put in six. I think as long as the membrane under the shell was intact the egg would be okay, but the spit egg had totally vanished. We still had plenty for egg salad sandwiches for lunch.

 photo 004Puttinginreef_zps9ea01f2e.jpg

Nancy, me, putting a reef in. The wind is very fluky behind the islands. It comes and goes until it arrives with gusto as you come out from behind the island. We passed Martinique at night and it was early morning as we passed Isle de Saints and headed for Guadeloupe.

 photo 004skipperandsquall_zps2773cd76.jpg

The channel between Isle de Saints and the south coast of Guadeloupe seemed to act like a conduit for west bound squalls. They just trundled along, passing in front of us, behind us but not once over us in a major way. A few sprinkles but not the downpours we could see in the distance.

 photo 005Besrseattogetabreeze-BequiatoDeshaies_zps8344d989.jpg

It can get quite hot when sailing and the coolest place is right there, with the sun at your back and the wind in your face.

 photo 001RainbowoverDeshaiesGualdeloupe_zpse16f694e.jpg

We arrived at Deshaies, Guadeloupe in the late afternoon, and anchored for the night. We left the next morning for a short and normally quite hard sail up to Antigua. Antigua is a bit east of Guadeloupe so it's often a beat into the easterly winds.

But not this time! We had the most pleasant sail as the winds were moderate with more than a touch of south in them.

We spent a week in Antigua - Falmouth Harbour, English Harbour, Manora Bay and Jolly Harbour, meeting up with Skipper Tim from Stormbird and Roland and Vanessa who work for the same charter company we do.

 photo 002FirstSuperyachtFalmouthHarbour_zpsd0215d8e.jpg

There goes the neighbourhood. The first super yacht to arrive in Falmouth Harbour.

 photo 001Docksideshopwithbreadbirdsandplateofsugar_zps802ccd10.jpg

This is a photo of the interior of that little food shop on the dock in Falmouth Harbour. It's where I bought our bread. I was surprised to see birds eating sugar from a saucer on the shelf above the loaves of bread. The woman at the till explained that they put out the saucer of sugar to stop the birds pecking the loaves of bread.

We left from Jolly Harbour heading to St Martin. There was little wind but we were surrounded by squalls from start to finish.

 photo 001RainsquallAntiguatoStBarts_zpsb7c14770.jpg

Only one got us and it was left to the Captain to sit in the rain while it passed. We arrived at St Bart's just as the sun was setting so anchored up for a very rolly night.

 photo 002SunsetStBarts_zps063f56a9.jpg

Sunset off St Bart's. One of the most striking sunsets we've seen, thanks to the squall clouds.

After a very rolly night at anchor we finished off the last leg of our journey to St Martin's.

 photo m_002LarusandCatsStMartin_zpsae91423a.jpg

Larus and friends, Porte de Plaisance, St Martin.

And here Larus will stay until we're back from working in the British Virgin Islands. We fly tomorrow, Thursday the 24th of October and the first our three charters starts on Saturday.

*pauses for breath* :)
Comments

About & Links

Favorites