Yacht Larus

A slow circumnavigation

Vessel Name: Larus
Vessel Make/Model: Slipper 42
Hailing Port: Southampton
Crew: Tim Chapman and Nancy Martiniuk
About: Sailing together since 1988
Home Page: Http://www.sailblogs.com/member/yachtlarus
18 June 2016
03 December 2015 | Nanny Cay, Tortola, BVI
03 June 2015 | Antigua
19 October 2014 | Trinidad
04 July 2014 | Bequia
02 March 2014 | Chaguaramas, Trinidad
25 February 2014
24 January 2014 | Bequia
18 December 2013
09 December 2013
23 October 2013 | Port de Plaisance, St Martin
05 September 2013
11 June 2013
11 June 2013
Recent Blog Posts
18 June 2016

Blog is moving

There is no perfect blog site for those of us who have almost permanent internet challenges, however we're moving from Sailblogs now to a new blog site. The posts here will remain but all future posts will be at;

21 February 2016

Every cloud has a silver lining

It came to light during the Boat show that the boat's insurers were insisting that the delivery skipper had an Ocean endorsement on their Yachtmaster ticket. Tim doesn't have this. He's had his Yachtmaster for over 20 years and in those days Yachtmaster Offshore was the highest level of certification. [...]

04 February 2016

Best laid plans and all that.

Belated Happy New Year to all.

03 December 2015 | Nanny Cay, Tortola, BVI

Blog 78 - Cruising once again

Having just reread our last blog, I'm pleasantly surprised to find that it was pretty much spot on.

03 June 2015 | Antigua

Work, Work and more work.

It is an awfully long time since our last blog and we really haven't been doing much other than working.

27 October 2014

On the hard Chaguaramas and crusing in Tobago

Spring this year, April to July, found us working pretty hard. Summer found us spending our hard earned gains treating Larus and ourselves to some TLC. While Tim and I visited friends and family in Canada and the UK, we left Larus on the hard in Coral Cove Marina, Chaguaramas, Trinidad in the care [...]

19 October 2014 | Trinidad

New paint job

Couldn't resist painting the boat at Trinidad prices. Looking gorgeous in a slightly warmer shade of white. Also rolled on 4 more coats of Coppercoat for good measure.

04 July 2014 | Bequia

We’re still here!

And by ‘here’ I mean, Guadeloupe, St Vincent and the Grenadines, St Marten and the British Virgin Islands. We have been working quite a lot over the last few months, and are currently in the Grenadines doing nothing but looking after Larus and pleasing ourselves.

02 March 2014 | Chaguaramas, Trinidad

The Run Up to Carnival

Trinidad is obsessed with Carnival. I've read that between Carnivals, the Trini's are either reminiscing about the previous Carnival or planning for the next.

25 February 2014

Trinidad

With our week long charter in the BVI completed we headed back to Bequia. Again, we had a great time and many laughs with our guests on 'Faith.' We also celebrated our Captain's birthday with cake, candles and, most importantly, ice cream.

24 January 2014 | Bequia

Charters and Bequia

Both Tim and I have been out on charter. I worked for two weeks in Guadeloupe on a 70' Flagship catamaran while Tim got called out to a short notice charter in the BVI.

Trinidad

25 February 2014
With our week long charter in the BVI completed we headed back to Bequia. Again, we had a great time and many laughs with our guests on 'Faith.' We also celebrated our Captain's birthday with cake, candles and, most importantly, ice cream.

Every charter is quite different, but one thing remains the same.

 photo m_001WelcometoBarbadosandhaveaniceday_zps3f66e44a.jpg

We do spend an awful lot of time in airport waiting rooms. This is the transit lounge at Barbados Airport, which is one of the 4 or 5 airports we pass through traveling to and from each charter. That is Tim by window snoozing.

We finished the charter on Saturday the 1st of Feb, flew out of the BVI at 0700 in the morning on the second and arrived in Bequia nearly 12 hours later. We stopped at St Martins, St Kitts, Antigua, Barbados and finally St Vincent where we got the 1730 ferry. We arrived in Bequia almost 12 hours after we left the BVI. It was a long ole day.

We rested up for a whole 3 days in the company of Skip and Madeline on 'Saralane' and Skipper Tim on 'Stormbird' before heading off on Tuesday the 4th for Trinidad to collect our new dinghy, last reported to be in Grenada. We expected to be waiting for us when we arrived.

But while we arrived in Trinidad, our dinghy was redirected Santiago, Chile.

Trinidad is a great place to get work done. During the summer, the Chaguaramas area of Trinidad is full of yachts avoiding the hurricane season and many take advantage of the expertise and reasonable prices. You can get just about anything done here.

While waiting, we moved into Coral Cove Marina and had Shawn from Superb Covers measure Larus up for a cockpit cover. We also had our cockpit seating replaced with sustainable teak and are having the aft hatch made of teak and plexiglass replaced.

We've been enjoying the society of Coral Cove Marina where we have a number of friends met here in Trinidad and in different parts of the Caribbean.

We're also taking the opportunity to see a more of Trinidad. Many of the trips we've done (are doing) have been organised by Jesse James of the Maxi Taxi (mini buses) firm called 'Members Only.'

Just a brief as side about how things work here. To facilitate communication between the cruisers themselves as well as the local businesses many sailing destinations have a Cruiser Net. The Net here in Trinidad is run by the Cruising Community with input from local companies. It allows cruisers to get help and information or find parts and services and get to know other cruisers by listening on VHF 68 every morning at 8.

Members Only arranges sightseeing trips and trips to sporting and cultural events as well as trips to the markets, malls and supermarkets. With Carnival fast approaching, Jesse has arranged trips to events we wouldn't necessarily know about as a tourist. Jesse also liaises with the local authorities about issues concerning and of concern to the cruising fraternity.

Now on to the photos!

Our first excursion was to the main Port of Spain Market early one Saturday morning.

 photo m_002PoppiMaxiTaxidriver_zpsdfc4f604.jpg

This is Poppi, our Maxi Taxi driver. He picked us up at 0600 and then collected us at about 0830. He made me wait to take the photo until he had shaken his dreadlocks free of the ponytail they'd been tied back in, I suspect for sleeping purposes. I greatly enjoyed the ride to the market as I got the chance to ride shotgun in the front seat. Poppi has a bright yellow race car driver steering wheel and I amused myself, and hopefully Poppi, by making engine rev'ing noises whenever he changed gear.

The first part of the market you come across is the area where you can buy meat and fish. I bought some gorgeous big shrimps/prawns that were a 100TT$ for 2 lbs. They use every bit of the animal here and you could buy anything from ear to hoof. (Our Trini neighbours at the marina shared their leftover curried chicken necks with us. Delicious but not very meaty and rather unexpected.)

My favourite part of the market was open air fruit and veg market.

 photo m_004SaturdayMarketexterior_zps8d48bea4.jpg

 photo m_005SaturdayMarketinterior_zpscf85b283.jpg

As well as stands and stalls, people also sell from crates and the back of trucks.

 photo m_006ScotchBonnetPeppersShadoBenniandBananas_zpsfb295153.jpg

Beautiful arrangements of Scotch Bonnet Peppers, bananas and Shado Benni which is a local herb that tastes exactly like fresh cilantro/coriander.

They also sell some clothes, groceries as well as home-made condiments and you can buy the local delicacy 'Doubles' for a post shopping snack. Doubles are usually eaten for breakfast and bought from street side vendors from coolers - the various parts are made at home and constructed to order. They are made up of two soft fried circles of bread dough with a spoonful of channa (chickpea) curry, some grated cucumber and a variety of sauces or pickles served in a square of grease proof. I like mine with just a little tamarind sauce and a judicious dash of hot sauce. The correct 'Double' eating stance is to well lean forward with your feet clear of any curry and sauce that might escape.

Eating Doubles is a messy business which is why there are no photos at this point. You need both hands to deal with your 'Double'.

Our next day out was with Derek, a Members Only Maxi Taxi driver, avid cricket supporter and darn fine cricket explainer for those of us who needed it, to watch Trinidad play CCC (Caribbean Campus and College) at the Queen's Park Oval.

 photo m_002Agamewithaview_zpscf53efac.jpg

We showed up early to get a good spot.

 photo m_001TrinidadCricketGrounds1100Saturdaythe9thofFeb_zps974c51f8.jpg

Maybe a bit too early, but you really don't want to show up too late.

 photo m_003Thestandfillsup_zpsac6c1df3.jpg

Trinidad trounced CCC but CCC is made up of young players learning and perfecting their game so it was not a great surprise. Tim and the other guys went the next week to see Trinidad get trounced by Barbados.

I went on my first Carnival themed event to see the Panarama 2014 Northern Large and Medium Band Semi Finals.

 photo m_001PanoramaJudging_zps7467b637.jpg

We saw three bands play.

 photo m_003Theybejammin_zpsf0d6539b.jpg

They put on a great display with lots of choreographed jammin' and lots of enthusiasm.

 photo m_002Renegadesmoving_zpsc48b38af.jpg

These are the Renegades who were the favourites to win.

 photo m_004Yestheyreallyaremadefromsteeldrums_zpsea4140ac.jpg

They really are made of old oil drums. The pan yards, where pan is played, were parking lots or areas between buildings and they were decorated and filled with spectators and food and drink stands.

We travelled with Jesse by Maxi Taxi to various Pan yards where the bands practiced and waited for the judges arrive. It really was a great experience.

We rented a car for a few days with Tony and Jane from Capisce, who are also in Coral Cove Marina. As well as shopping and buying diesel in 25 litre jerry cans from the local gas station at 1.50 $TT a litre (about 15 pence a a litre) in 100 litre batches, (The 100 litre limit is supposed to stop boats buying diesel this way. Diesel bought the marina's isn't subsidized and much more expensive.), we drove south to visit the Pitch Lake.

 photo m_007Harvestingtar_zps9170300d.jpg

We were the only visitors there and with our guide Wayne, had the place to ourselves.

 photo m_003TarpitsandWayne_zpsc923610d.jpg

The floral and fauna living in and around the Pitch Lake were a real surprise. With some skilled whacking, Wayne was able to present Jane and I each with a lily.

 photo m_004BlueLily_zpsb8a28896.jpg

Mine was blue.

I also saw my first cashew tree.

 photo m_005CashewTree_zps3960fb51.jpg

They look very much like almond trees but the cashew fruit is much sparser on the tree which explains their high cost.

 photo m_006Tarpath_zpsf5d6f524.jpg

We followed a winding path of tar down toward the lake itself.

 photo m_008Hoppercarsformovingtar_zps36d47816.jpg

Bulldozers pile the tar near these hopper cars. The tar is moved via hopper to a conveyer that takes the tar up to the processing plan.

After this point, we were told to follow directly behind Wayne.

 photo m_010Wherenottostand_zps3334683b.jpg

Unless you knew what to look for, you might well end up in one of these areas where the tar was liquid.

 photo m_011FollowingWayneasinstructed_zps6d35bb96.jpg

So follow we did!

The forms we saw were as unexpected as they were amazing.

 photo m_013Rainwaterform_zps7fab0a28.jpg

These folds of tar were formed by the weight of rain water ponds. As the water dries up, the tar rises upward and its surface will eventually become smooth and flat.

 photo m_016Algaeinrainwater_zps77b68792.jpg

The water was surprisingly pro-life. Tiny fish and algae could be found in many of the pools. Tony even went for a swim, which is one of the Lake's attractions.

 photo m_014rainwaterforms_zps0efae531.jpg

That's not gold at the bottom of the pond, but liquid tar with some sort of film between it and the water.

The tractors collecting tar stopped and waited for us to pass.

 photo m_018Diggers_zps1204e83e.jpg

It was interesting to see how far the back wheels had sunk in in such a short time.

However it appears, this tree stump is rising from the tar.

 photo m_015treerisingfromthetar_zps30faec13.jpg

Whatever goes down, will circulate back up again in time as part of the decay process.

It really was very interesting and if you get a chance go and see, if you can.

We did get lost both coming and going in San Fernando. In the same area to boot. The signage to the motorway left much to be desired.

 photo m_002LostinSanFernando_zpsfd040b43.jpg

'Haven't we seen this before?' Yes!

The Pitch Lake was our furthest destination so as we worked our way back we went in search for the Temple in the Sea.

 photo m_024TempleintheSeafromshore_zps62b9cf46.jpg

Denied permission to build Hindu temple in Colonial Trinidad, Sewdass Sadhu painstakingly built his Temple in the Sea.

 photo m_025Flagsandofferings_zps1a33a069.jpg

 photo m_027Flagsandfishingboats_zps3611967c.jpg

It is gratifying to see that the temple is well used to this day.

 photo m_023NoSittingorLeaningonMurti_zps1c4c4b8b.jpg

I loved the sign on the approach to the temple admonishing people not to sit or lean on murti. In Hinduism, a murti is an image in which the Divine Spirit is expressed.

On our way to the Temple in Sea, we were side tracked by signs advertising a statue of Hanuman, the Hindu Monkey God.

 photo m_022HinduShrine_zps4afeb53b.jpg

It was well worth the detour.

Our last task with the car was to pick up our new dinghy from Customs.

 photo m_000TheNewDinghy_zpsb44b0138.jpg

It finally arrived on the 19th of Feb, which was a long enough delay for TNT to refund the cost of delivery.

 photo m_001Thenewdinghyhasarrived_zps8096cb1f.jpg

The Captain and crew both heartily approve.

16.00 25/02 - Our new Bimini has arrived! Our new bimini has arrived! It is amazing. I will post photos soon along with ones of our visit to the Old School Carnival last Sunday.

Tonight at 1800, we are off to the Carnival Kings and Queens Semi finals, so not time now. But I will get them posted asap. :D
Comments

About & Links

Favorites