Yacht Larus

A slow circumnavigation

Vessel Name: Larus
Vessel Make/Model: Slipper 42
Hailing Port: Southampton
Crew: Tim Chapman and Nancy Martiniuk
About: Sailing together since 1988
Home Page: Http://www.sailblogs.com/member/yachtlarus
18 June 2016
03 December 2015 | Nanny Cay, Tortola, BVI
03 June 2015 | Antigua
19 October 2014 | Trinidad
04 July 2014 | Bequia
02 March 2014 | Chaguaramas, Trinidad
25 February 2014
24 January 2014 | Bequia
18 December 2013
09 December 2013
23 October 2013 | Port de Plaisance, St Martin
05 September 2013
11 June 2013
11 June 2013
Recent Blog Posts
18 June 2016

Blog is moving

There is no perfect blog site for those of us who have almost permanent internet challenges, however we're moving from Sailblogs now to a new blog site. The posts here will remain but all future posts will be at;

21 February 2016

Every cloud has a silver lining

It came to light during the Boat show that the boat's insurers were insisting that the delivery skipper had an Ocean endorsement on their Yachtmaster ticket. Tim doesn't have this. He's had his Yachtmaster for over 20 years and in those days Yachtmaster Offshore was the highest level of certification. [...]

04 February 2016

Best laid plans and all that.

Belated Happy New Year to all.

03 December 2015 | Nanny Cay, Tortola, BVI

Blog 78 - Cruising once again

Having just reread our last blog, I'm pleasantly surprised to find that it was pretty much spot on.

03 June 2015 | Antigua

Work, Work and more work.

It is an awfully long time since our last blog and we really haven't been doing much other than working.

27 October 2014

On the hard Chaguaramas and crusing in Tobago

Spring this year, April to July, found us working pretty hard. Summer found us spending our hard earned gains treating Larus and ourselves to some TLC. While Tim and I visited friends and family in Canada and the UK, we left Larus on the hard in Coral Cove Marina, Chaguaramas, Trinidad in the care [...]

19 October 2014 | Trinidad

New paint job

Couldn't resist painting the boat at Trinidad prices. Looking gorgeous in a slightly warmer shade of white. Also rolled on 4 more coats of Coppercoat for good measure.

04 July 2014 | Bequia

We’re still here!

And by ‘here’ I mean, Guadeloupe, St Vincent and the Grenadines, St Marten and the British Virgin Islands. We have been working quite a lot over the last few months, and are currently in the Grenadines doing nothing but looking after Larus and pleasing ourselves.

02 March 2014 | Chaguaramas, Trinidad

The Run Up to Carnival

Trinidad is obsessed with Carnival. I've read that between Carnivals, the Trini's are either reminiscing about the previous Carnival or planning for the next.

25 February 2014

Trinidad

With our week long charter in the BVI completed we headed back to Bequia. Again, we had a great time and many laughs with our guests on 'Faith.' We also celebrated our Captain's birthday with cake, candles and, most importantly, ice cream.

24 January 2014 | Bequia

Charters and Bequia

Both Tim and I have been out on charter. I worked for two weeks in Guadeloupe on a 70' Flagship catamaran while Tim got called out to a short notice charter in the BVI.

The Grenadines to Antigua

24 May 2013
We are back in Antigua after a whirlwind trip around the Grenadines.

There aren't many photos of Bequia and I suspect that's due to my having spent a lot of time there in the past, the fact that it kept raining and that it was quite a short visit, but we will definitely be back there, so I will have many more opportunities.

The wet season is truly here and we shopped in between rain squalls. This included an extra trip back to the boat in the rain for Tim after I'd inadvertently left the wallet back on the boat.

 photo m_001PassionFruitNutmegsandCarribeanAppleishfruit_zpsd8232222.jpg

This Bequia produce which we bought from a cart on the street in the rain - passion fruits, a red fruit with a single large seed in the centre and a mild flavour with a touch of alum, and nutmegs still wearing their mace.

Sarnians Sue and Dan, Bequia photo m_002TriumphSueandDanBequia_zps7c4d64f0.jpg

One of the unendingly surprising things about the cruising life is the people you meet. Our neighbours in the anchorage in Bequia were Dan and Sue on Triumph, who turned out to be from my home town.

We moved on to Union Island to meet up with Lee and Kirsty on Jon Jon.

Amarosa on the left photo m_004AmarosaUnionIsland_zps02ebc0e3.jpg

We hadn't even dropped anchor off Clifton, the main town on Union Island, before we clocked Emma and Stuart on Amarosa, who we first met in the Cape Verdes and more recently in Martinique, on our port side.

Jonjon to the right photo m_005JonjonUnionIsland_zps9aff6501.jpg

Moments later Lee and Kirsty arrived from Grenada and anchored on our starboard side.

Looking at these photos again also reminded me about how hot was. The number of times we heard, 'Is it just me, or is it REALLY hot?' I'd taken to carrying a pocket handkerchief to stop the sweat running into my eyes. Tim is much better with the heat than I am, but even he was been choosing to sit below deck in the relative cool.

Union Island street on May Day. photo m_008CliftonMainStreetMayDayUnionIsland_zpsc1ecb60e.jpg

May Day downtown Clifton, Union Island. The character of the islands is a little different now. The season is drawing to an end and there fewer tourists or cruising yachts about. Not only was it May Day but it was high noon as well. A lady in the fruit and veg market told us that come 5 o'clock, there would be all sorts of festivities going on in the cooler part of the day.

We planned to meet with friends and go and see, but ended up just meeting.

Group photo from Clifton Harbour, Union Island photo m_014groupphotounionisland_zpse5802a8d.jpg

Graham, Tim, Nancy, Lee, Jaff, Cara, Kirsty and Chrissie on Larus.

Some Union Island advertising....

 photo m_010LionFishDerbyphoto_zps618a394b.jpg

Lion fish have become a huge problem in the Caribbean. They are not a native fish and have no natural predators. FYI Hairoun is the local beer and Mayreau is the island just north of Union Island.

Anti Lion Fish propaganda 1 photo m_011EatMoreLionFish_zps82e0931c.jpg

More Lion fish propaganda. I love the fact that cows can't spell.

Two cows, Clifton Union Iland. photo m_012CuddlingCowsUnionIsland_zps2a3710fd.jpg

They can cuddle though.

We said our good byes on the second of May, and headed back north to Antigua via Martinique and Guadeloupe. This is the time of year when many people park their boat somewhere and head back to the UK, like Lee and Kirsty. Others go north up the East coast of the States or south down to Grenada and Trinidad.

We left Union Island mid-day for an overnight sail to Martinique. We by-passed Mayreau, Canouan, Mustique, Bequia, St Vincent and St Lucia, and were approaching the south west corner of Martinique at about 5 in the morning. As we were only doing a single night sail before stopping of a day, neither of us had bothered to get a lot of sleep and by this time we were pretty tired and ready for a nice long nap.

We were just passing Cap Salomon when Tim noticed a French Customs boat mooching around. They circled us at a distance before launching their RIB (Rigid Inflatable Boat) and we soon had 4 burly Frenchmen squeezed in the cockpit. I would dearly have loved to have taken photos, but it really wasn't appropriate.

While Tim was with them in the cockpit, I hurried below to tidy up a bit, move our bedding from the passage berth in the main saloon to the fore-peak and trying to make the dirty dishes in the sink look smaller.

After talking to Tim, one official came below to talk to me.

They check that our stories tallied, checked out log (our route on the iPad as well as the written log), lifted up a few floor boards and having clocked the tiny basil plants I've been trying to grow since Tobago, asked if I cooked with drugs.

Basil planted over a month ago. 24/05 photo m_003Basilplants_zpsca508205.jpg

Erm... no.

They then piled back into the RIB that had come back alongside to collect them. As they were all manoeuvring to get seated the driver accidentally leant on the throttle, the whole rib reared up and very nearly threw them all in the water. It was most amusing and perked us up to know end. We alln laughed about it and off they went. I expect the RIB driver is being ribbed about it to this day.

We finally arrived in Fort de France, dropped our anchor, and after a couple hours sleep, did what we'd come specifically to Martinique to do. We went shopping.

We are finally beginning to run out of staples like tinned veg, powdered milk, beer and toilet paper, much of which we last bought in Las Palmas. Martinique has a huge supermarket were you can get pretty much anything you can get in France, as well as all the things you can get in the Caribbean. Tim and I walked up hill and down hill in the the noon day sun, to get to the supermarket. We looked at the huge selection of absolutely everything, considered the logistics of getting any purchases back to the boat, didn't buy a thing and walked allllllllllll the way back to the Leader Price supermarket in the port. They have everything we needed and it was close enough that we didn't need a taxi.

There's also a fruit and vegetable market nearby if Leader Price doesn't have what you want.

Shopping complete, on the fourth of May we continued north towards Antigua. The plan was to anchor at either of the two anchorages on Dominica, the next island along, but the winds were unexpectedly from the South West. All the anchorages on Dominica are exposed from the west and it would have been an uncomfortable and rolly night, so we carried on overnight to Martinique.

As we approached the northern tip of Martinique, we began to notice all sorts of flotsam in the water. The unusual wind direction was causing weeks or months' worth of debris to be cleared from normally sheltered beaches. There was stuff everywhere!

Twice we had to depower the sails, pulling the main and mizzen to centre and rolling in the jib, to slow us down enough to detangle branches and not risk losing our shockingly expensive squid lures.

The last time Tim had managed to hook a 3 metre length of bamboo. I would have loved a photo, but we were too busy trying to get rid of it to take a picture. We gave up trying to fish after that.

Flotsam generated by a wind from the SW.  This seldom happens so there is a lot of stuff to get washed away. photo m_015FlotsamandjetsomoffMartinique_zps3b475339.jpg

This bit of flotsam came along shortly after. It's big but it is only bamboo so very light.

Once we cleared the Dominican coast the flotsam disappeared and we had a very nice sail overnight to Deshaies, Guadeloupe.

We arrived at dawn and saw our friend Fair Lady anchored in the bay. Five in the morning was a little early to knock on the hull and demand tea, so we anchored, had a little snooze and when we looked out again they were gone! Next time we'll knock first. You have been warned! :)

Deshaies is where we saw the whales breaching when we first arrived. We have finally been able to find, edit and upload to youtube, the little video Tim was lucky enough to record.



We stayed the night and headed out not particularly early for the final leg of our journey to Falmouth Harbour, Antigua.

Tim whale watching Deshaies to Falmouth. photo m_001WhalewatchingfromDeshaiestoFalmouthHarbour_zps35913d13.jpg

Having seen whales once, we were hopeful of seeing more, but didn't, despite Tim's diligent efforts at whale spotting.

We arrived at Falmouth on the 7th of May and will be here for a while. We've changed our plans for the summer having been offered a job with a charter company providing standby cover as Skipper and Crew/Cook. This suits us to a 'T' as we'll be able to work a little and still continue cruising.

We have some training courses to do and will be heading down to Trinidad in time to do our STCW95, a marine safety course. One of us also needs to be a Dive Master. It makes sense for Tim to do this, as I will have enough on my plate with the cooking during a charter.

Tim has started his dive training with a local school here in Falmouth Harbour, Extreme Marine Scuba . After he'd completed his Advance course, we both dived two local dive sites with Don, the Irish-Jamaican owner and Dive Master. As promised, we saw turtles, a ray, a moray eel as well as numerous fish. I was particularly pleased to see sand tiles fish peeking our of their little holes on the sea bed. I think Don was as pleased and surprised as we were that fauna had been so obliging.

We won't now be heading north for the summer as previously planned. We'll be staying south for most of the summer and will go north in a year or two.
Comments

About & Links

Favorites