Yacht Swagman

Nice Day on the Water.........but....

27 July 2015
Yacht Aztec on Sunday - courtesy of Lymington Times / LPB Aerial Images

Well Saturday was a nice day on the water - Sunday was a bit different - and overall it was a great weekends party in super company. Just a disappointing performance by us on the Tattinger Regatta racetrack.

We did better at the parties. Friday nights Champagne Reception was pumping. We had a berth in Yarmouth Harbour and enjoyed the time at Royal Solents Clubhouse quaffing the complimentary bottles before hitting Salties and engaging nice people in Swahili like conversations. Can't recall much about the end of the evening - but I am certain it was all good:-) Apologies to anyone I tried to engage in conversation........really sorry.

Saturday saw us out racing with headaches in medium to light winds under a sunny skies.

Race one saw us get a lot wrong, and we came 7th from 17.
Race two saw us get more right, and we still came 7th from 17!

We just seem incapable of completing simple sail handling at the same pace as other boats, and seemed to have no height at all going to windward. Would have been very frustrating if we weren't having so much FUN!

Saturday nights Towers Party after food at the pub, was another super event. Heaving. Super rock bands. Bit too much rum and dry ginger. Lots of dancing. Great fireworks. Jumbuck was a bit packed with 9 staying over - but alcohol helped us all squeeze in somehow. Not sure what time we all hit the sack, but it was another late one.

Woke Sunday to rain drumming on deck, grey scudding clouds and the warning of 30 knot winds. Rob and Sue ran for the ferry at 0800. Very sensible. Quiet a few boats simply remained in their berths, but for some strange reason the rest of us went out. It was a bit windy. Away from the dock late, so no breakfast. Soaked through trying to swill down black coffee as we made our way over to the mainland shore start line. From the faces, I was unsure how many of our guys actually wanted to go racing. But we did.

Not a bad start as it happens, beating into SSW winds towards the island. Gusty. Wet.

The winds tipped over 30 up that beat. I was seriously thinking about giving it away after we noticed a short split starting on the headsail leach, and definitely decided to give it away after our first attempt under kite, once we got round the top mark and turned off the wind.

The asymmetric went up ok and we were not badly placed in our fleet. As we headed north away from the shelter of the island shore gusts then began to bullet through and the boat settled down - moving out well - as we ran off back towards the mainland. But when a somewhat stronger gust arrived from behind, our tack line clutch simply failed to hold under the added pressure, and large asymmetric began to move slowly away from the boat as the tack line steadily whizzed out through the closed clutch!

The spinnaker then reset itself maybe 10 metres away from the bow as the cockpit tangled tack line jammed up, and as the sail swung aft and really powered up, around we went to windward. There was nothing we could do as Jumbuck heeled over swiftly, completing a wild broach!

Its the first time I've had a kite trying to fly itself so far from any boat I've ever skippered.........or seen the top of this mast come so close to the water!

Even with the sheets let fly, we found ourselves pinned down on our side for maybe a minute with green water coming over the combing and into the cockpit as the boat was dragged sideways, our crew all perched on the top rail, as the rest of the fleet creamed past taking appropriate avoiding action.

With the sea holding in the bottom of the asymmetric, the cockpit knife came out to cut the jammed tack line, and Jumbuck shrugged back upright with the kite and ropes streaming out horizontally from our masthead in 40 knots of wind......

Maybe 50 metres behind us the A35 'Aztec' was trying to avoid such a broach when she lost her mast at the spreaders, so guess we got away with it lightly.

Got the kite back in with no damage before considering our options. No one hurt. Boat not broken. Only one cut line - which was clearly not up to it anyway - and will be replaced.

What to do? The fleet was a horizon job by then. We checked out Aztec, but they already had safety boats in attendance and Solent Coastguard had it all Mayday covered.

Rain continued to sheet down, the wind continued to blow, and steak sandwiches and cold beers back in Lymington proved a tempting alternative to the race course.

So we radioed in our retirement, cranked on the engine, and home we went.

Wind topped 43 knots as we ran into the Lymington River, but 45 minutes later the boat was cleared away, and I had my teeth into that sandwich. Was good.

A huge thanks to Sue, Rob, Dave, Abi, Teddy, Allan and Chris for enjoying the weekend with us. Great great fun, but we clearly have more still to do if we ever want to succeed at short course racing.....

On. On.
Comments
Vessel Name: Jumbuck
Vessel Make/Model: J109
Hailing Port: Lymington UK and Calpe Spain
Crew: Sue and John (here crossing the line to win the 2007 ARC) on Swagman
About:
Married 46 years and been sailing for 35 of those. Keen racers and cruisers starting in Australia and now based out of Europe. From 2004 to 2009 we cruised most summer months on our yachts exploring UK to West Med, East Med to Caribbean. [...]
Extra:
In 2010 tried the darker side with a classic 45' motor launch. It opened up the rivers, canals and backwaters of Europe for a year, but that did not hit all buttons, and yacht racing drew us back. Got a Scow dinghy for club racing in 2011 and called her Billy Can, got a J109 for racing 2012 and [...]
Jumbuck's Photos - Main
Costa Blamca, Spain
19 Photos
Created 23 November 2016
Professional shots taken on the Jornadas Pitiusas Regatta, Balearics, September 2016
22 Photos
Created 10 October 2016
Sold the little Scow to buy this baby for Spain.
5 Photos
Created 25 November 2014
Five days away with Stu and Moira in Spains Sierra Nevada mountains
25 Photos
Created 30 December 2011
From Moret on the Loing to Migenne on the Yonne, via the River Seine
47 Photos
Created 2 September 2011
We were joined by Paul and Pattie, Rob and Gaye for this trip back north down the Loing to Moret.
20 Photos
Created 2 September 2011
Son and duaghter in law Rob and Louise bring out our two new grandchildren Georgina and William for this week long trip north on the Canal de Briare to Chatillion Coligny.
20 Photos
Created 13 August 2011
We stayed a week at this lovely location down off the canal and adjacent to the Loire. Beautiful.
14 Photos
Created 13 August 2011
A week long push south from the medieval city of Montargis to Briare.
8 Photos
Created 6 August 2011
This is where several steams come together and helped them build the Canal de Loing to form a final link between the provincial centres of Orlean and Briare up to Paris. The streams between the houses are why its referred to as a 'little Venice'.
11 Photos
Created 6 August 2011
This was our first experience with a narrow canal - with a 6 kph speed limit. As you slow down - so does the pace of life. It was like we'd entered an inner kingdom sliding south between the two stunning medieval towns of Moret and Montargis......
15 Photos
Created 2 August 2011
Pronounced 'san mammys' this barge working town spans the junction of the Seine and Canal du Loing. Famed as the favoured living spot for English impressnionist Alfred Sisley
12 Photos
Created 30 July 2011
A scooter ride cross country through the forest to the Palace at Fontainbleu
20 Photos
Created 29 July 2011
The final upper reached of the Seine bewfore we turned off and headed south
12 Photos
Created 27 July 2011
A week long slide on the upper Seine in company with a NZ boat
18 Photos
Created 27 July 2011
Our first real country marina with facilities that would blow a family away. Absolutely made for the young - and not so young....
16 Photos
Created 26 July 2011
Back down to Paris to buy some gaz, then up the Seine through the last big locks towards the canals.
6 Photos
Created 24 July 2011
The lower reaches of the Marne as we head back towards Paris
7 Photos
Created 24 July 2011
A short hop really but lovely facilities in Meaux encourgaed us to stop here and repair our generator. Glad we did.
3 Photos
Created 22 July 2011
We were joined by Stuart and Moira on this weeks adventure to explore the 'capital' of the Champagne Region.
23 Photos
Created 17 July 2011
Sailing with Karen and Jake into Champagne country
20 Photos
Created 13 July 2011
The highlight of our crsuie where we stopped over in the centre of Paris - to be joined by Karen and Jake from the USA.
61 Photos
Created 5 July 2011
A seven hour blast at 20 kph in company with Graylian. it was the tide that allowed us to make that speed............
3 Photos
Created 30 June 2011
A ten hour fog ridden crossing - then rolly seas before we got into Le Havre. Sue kissed the pontoon on arrival................ All we then had was a failing impellor plus a crushed stanchion in the first lock we entered...........
10 Photos
Created 30 June 2011
Planning and implementing our cross channel crossing in Matilda
1 Photo
Created 10 June 2011
Shots around the harbour and bars
12 Photos
Created 6 June 2011
21st May 2011
35 Photos
Created 22 May 2011
Re-launch for Easter
35 Photos
Created 25 April 2011
Our home built rowing / sailing / motoring tender
8 Photos
Created 2 March 2011
A month away to Chile walking the mountains and lakes, then onto a discovery ship for a week exploring Patagonia and ultimately, Cape Horn. Best holiday ever............
5 Photos
Created 28 February 2011
From Turkey in May to the Caribbean for Xmas. We left Turkey two up, spent June in Greece with pals Jude and Viv visiting, July solo in Croatia and August in Italy and then Balearics where Seu went home for a week and mate Brian from Oz came for a weeks sailing. Then Sue flew back and Brian home, we sailed through September to Spanish east coast pals then Lagos in Portugal. Refitted boat for Atlantic and grabbed another week home in UK, then sailed in October to Canaries for start of ARC in November. Joined by pal Gerry the three of us raced in the ARC across to St Lucia and led the Crsuier A Div fleet to finish in 16 days 1 hour - and won the Prime Ministers Trophy!
100 Photos
Created 18 January 2011
The journey bringing Matilda from Alkmeer in N Holland down the Dutch canals and rivers, then down the Belgium and French coasts, across the Channel and into Eastbourne and fianlly on to Lymington where we lifted her for the winter.
21 Photos
Created 18 January 2011
After some time back in Europe skiing we returned to Antigua with a family crew and partied hard during Antigua Race Week. Like to tell you we did well, but not on the race course! Too many hangovers and old cruiser sails meant we were simply not competitive - except at the bar!
47 Photos
Created 5 December 2010
Left in April gales to cross the Med with pals Marcus and Gerry and Sue from Mallorca to Turkey so we could join the East Med Rally from Istanbul. Did not make it and linked up at Ayvalik where pals went home. Did the rally double handed for 3 months down Turkish the glorious coast, then Cyprus, Syria, Lebanon, Israel, Egypt, back to Israel, inland to Jordan, then sail back to Turkey. All nice. Possibly best year of my life!
115 Photos
Created 5 December 2010
Took our new Hanse 461 in May from UK to Portugal along with Rally Portugal, then onward to the Med and Balearics from June. Fabulous summer with lots of mates visiting with us to really explore Mallorca, Ibiza, Formetera. Brilliant weather, sailing and experiences. Eventually flew home end August having berthed Swagman in Palma de Mallorca where we revisited her several times in the fall.
81 Photos
Created 5 December 2010
Took our Grant Soleil 42 Swagman from UK to Portugal with Rally Portugal. Took race crew with Sue and I across Briscay in F8 n'lies - completed crossing in 3 days 3 minutes - averaged 7.5 knots. Won virtually every leg thereafter despite being only two up. Liked Lagos so did visit Gib and ports along the Algave, returning end August to Lagos where we berthed her............and then sold her once we bought Swagman (11) at the Southmpton Boat Show.
7 Photos
Created 4 December 2010