Yacht Swagman

Solid start to our Spanish Campaign

03 October 2016 | Ibiza
John / 40C / variable 0-7 knots from all over the place
New Norths 3Di main, staysail and A2 deployed as we round Formentera on Race Day 3

Had an unexpected result on our first outing racing against the locals here on the Costa Blanca - with a 2nd place trophy!

It was Race Day 1 in the Jorndanas Pitiusas Regatta hosted by Ibiza Club Nautico, and run over three days Friday / Saturday / Sunday 23/24/25th September.

The boat bottom was freshly rubbed back and repainted, we were fully loaded with a need to sleep a full 7 crew, but resplendent with our new Norths mainsail. Brilliant sail. Enjoyed a relaxed sail on the 70 miles over to the Balearics Thursday to enjoy an equally relaxed night out in the old toWn. I LOVE Ibiza town.....

It proved to be a pumpy weekend as all the clubs were having their final season parties. The island was full to busting.

Complete with obligatory headaches Friday, Race 1 was from Ibiza Town around the island anti-clockwise to finish in San Antonio on the north coast. Very very light winds were forecast and we watched dockside (with some surprise) as all our competitors offloaded all their 'surplus' kit. Fenders, anchors, cushions, storm sails, even a good deal of safety kit, were all emptied into what looked like custom made huge bags on the Club Nautico dockside.

Seems it's the norm here in these typical September / October light conditions. But wishing to risk a protest for not doing the right thing, we stayed fully loaded. Won't be doing that again!

Not our best start ever. With winds forward we weren't expecting much with our small IRC headsails, but with good crew work - and a bit of luck when the winds puffs up and went behind, we dragged our way back into the fleet and then to our surprise, scored that 2nd place in Division 2!

It was a great days sailing but under hot hot hot sun. When the winds veered it allowed us to deploy the Code 0, and with the winds eventually settling from the SSW but only coming in zephyrs it turned into a really tactical race where the tidal flow around the high cliffed corners of the course was often greater than the breeze. But the Code 0 was the winning sail both upwind and down. It actually proved better than the A2 kite even when running in sub 5 knot winds, retaining its shape and keeping us moving when many around were simply standing still.

So nice to have the crew up on the podium in San Antonio. Edo Volker (mainsheet), Sue (strings), Kevin Moss (trim), Eric Degerland and Chris Gibson (sharing foredeck / mast), and Teddy Chadd running around to fill in where needed. All did a great job working together for the first time. Both Chris and Teddy had flown in from the UK and I think found the sights and sounds of Ibiza Island in full party mode maybe a little different than say Lymington or Cherbourg........

With a crowded boat for sleeping and temperatures still mid 20's overnight, Sue and I had thoughtfully booked nearby hotel accomodation in both Ibiza and in Formentera. That was a really good move - but post this race it was all crew hunkered down together overnight in San Antonio.

Another good night out and early hours to our bunks. Can't recall the boat feeling crowded. Just maybe the G&Ts, vino, beers, then brandy had the right analgesic effect......

Race 2 was from San Antonio out west then down to finish at Savena, on Formentera. Despite the fresh headaches we got a better start offwind, but again light light light winds then saw me iffing and butting on what side to go to, just to make that first rounding four miles away upwind. Meant we ended up in the middle of the bay and in zero wind - whilst everyone else on the edges simply drifted away from us. Two hours later we finally got to that rounding point more or less dead set last boat in the whole fleet, but from there we sailed a blinder.

First ghosting downwind under Code 0 between the islets on Ibizas west coast, then hoisting the A2 when we found a narrow wind channel of 9 knot wind, it was gybe, gybe, and gybe again as we rapidly closed on the fleet. They call it the gap, a narrow channel between high cliffs on the lowest islet and Ibiza itself. With the Code 0 then deployed we found the .5 knot southerly current helped us create our own wind and catch up with the whole fleet, sitting stationary close by that gap. It was almost like we alone had a small electric engine running......awesome feeling as we slid past 40.7s, Grand Soleil 40s and an assortment of other larger boats.

Again our lack of local knowledge let us down after that super recovery. We chose to tack down the thumb line on the shifts to the finish off Savena on Formentera, whilst a lot of the others either went east to the Ibithan coast, or west and offshore. When the new wind started building and then savagely backed and filled in from the east, it gave boat groups on either side an advantage over us. We made 9th in our division........but better than a last place, eh?

Another pleasant night out at a dockside restaurant, another nice airconned hotel. For this Race 3 we were joined by Marian Volker to sail a course from Savena, around the bottom of Fomentera, and back north to Ibiza Town. As Teddy was flying home from Ibiza early the next day I was worried we might not finish on time, but the CN Ibiza race team assured me we would, so we glided under sub 5 knot winds into a great position on the start, and got away maybe 1st or 2nd. Soon rolled by bigger yachts with bigger sails (and unloaded,h probably lighter than we were) but we sailed well considering our lack of local knowledge. Good trim. Efficient gybing. The A2, the Code 0, the staysail, plus super hard working crew, saw us get make 6th place in that.

So at the prizegiving on Sunday at CN Ibiza we found we had achieved a 5th in Division 2 of 19 boats (every one of them bigger than we were) and 14th overall. Nothing to write home about, but fine by me. Newly formed crew. Small headsails. Heavy boat. Lack of local knowledge. I've got all the excuses I need.....😀

But seriously, we had lots of fun, and enjoyed the event.

The parties and the venues were awesome, as was the scenery as we slid (and at times parked) alongside the stunning cliffs off these Balearic Islands. Spanish sailors have been really welcoming, and good competitors on the race track, and pretty good party animals when they want to be.

Still can't get my head around them emptying off even safety gear, but it wasn't weight that let us down. It was some wrong decisions by me, and our lack of local knowledge.

So it's on on on for next year - where we can hopefully apply all we've learnt on this outing, and maybe do better next time. Fingers crossed.

Thanks everyone for this one. Great.
Comments
Vessel Name: Jumbuck
Vessel Make/Model: J109
Hailing Port: Lymington UK and Calpe Spain
Crew: Sue and John (here crossing the line to win the 2007 ARC) on Swagman
About:
Married 46 years and been sailing for 35 of those. Keen racers and cruisers starting in Australia and now based out of Europe. From 2004 to 2009 we cruised most summer months on our yachts exploring UK to West Med, East Med to Caribbean. [...]
Extra:
In 2010 tried the darker side with a classic 45' motor launch. It opened up the rivers, canals and backwaters of Europe for a year, but that did not hit all buttons, and yacht racing drew us back. Got a Scow dinghy for club racing in 2011 and called her Billy Can, got a J109 for racing 2012 and [...]
Jumbuck's Photos - Main
Costa Blamca, Spain
19 Photos
Created 23 November 2016
Professional shots taken on the Jornadas Pitiusas Regatta, Balearics, September 2016
22 Photos
Created 10 October 2016
Sold the little Scow to buy this baby for Spain.
5 Photos
Created 25 November 2014
Five days away with Stu and Moira in Spains Sierra Nevada mountains
25 Photos
Created 30 December 2011
From Moret on the Loing to Migenne on the Yonne, via the River Seine
47 Photos
Created 2 September 2011
We were joined by Paul and Pattie, Rob and Gaye for this trip back north down the Loing to Moret.
20 Photos
Created 2 September 2011
Son and duaghter in law Rob and Louise bring out our two new grandchildren Georgina and William for this week long trip north on the Canal de Briare to Chatillion Coligny.
20 Photos
Created 13 August 2011
We stayed a week at this lovely location down off the canal and adjacent to the Loire. Beautiful.
14 Photos
Created 13 August 2011
A week long push south from the medieval city of Montargis to Briare.
8 Photos
Created 6 August 2011
This is where several steams come together and helped them build the Canal de Loing to form a final link between the provincial centres of Orlean and Briare up to Paris. The streams between the houses are why its referred to as a 'little Venice'.
11 Photos
Created 6 August 2011
This was our first experience with a narrow canal - with a 6 kph speed limit. As you slow down - so does the pace of life. It was like we'd entered an inner kingdom sliding south between the two stunning medieval towns of Moret and Montargis......
15 Photos
Created 2 August 2011
Pronounced 'san mammys' this barge working town spans the junction of the Seine and Canal du Loing. Famed as the favoured living spot for English impressnionist Alfred Sisley
12 Photos
Created 30 July 2011
A scooter ride cross country through the forest to the Palace at Fontainbleu
20 Photos
Created 29 July 2011
The final upper reached of the Seine bewfore we turned off and headed south
12 Photos
Created 27 July 2011
A week long slide on the upper Seine in company with a NZ boat
18 Photos
Created 27 July 2011
Our first real country marina with facilities that would blow a family away. Absolutely made for the young - and not so young....
16 Photos
Created 26 July 2011
Back down to Paris to buy some gaz, then up the Seine through the last big locks towards the canals.
6 Photos
Created 24 July 2011
The lower reaches of the Marne as we head back towards Paris
7 Photos
Created 24 July 2011
A short hop really but lovely facilities in Meaux encourgaed us to stop here and repair our generator. Glad we did.
3 Photos
Created 22 July 2011
We were joined by Stuart and Moira on this weeks adventure to explore the 'capital' of the Champagne Region.
23 Photos
Created 17 July 2011
Sailing with Karen and Jake into Champagne country
20 Photos
Created 13 July 2011
The highlight of our crsuie where we stopped over in the centre of Paris - to be joined by Karen and Jake from the USA.
61 Photos
Created 5 July 2011
A seven hour blast at 20 kph in company with Graylian. it was the tide that allowed us to make that speed............
3 Photos
Created 30 June 2011
A ten hour fog ridden crossing - then rolly seas before we got into Le Havre. Sue kissed the pontoon on arrival................ All we then had was a failing impellor plus a crushed stanchion in the first lock we entered...........
10 Photos
Created 30 June 2011
Planning and implementing our cross channel crossing in Matilda
1 Photo
Created 10 June 2011
Shots around the harbour and bars
12 Photos
Created 6 June 2011
21st May 2011
35 Photos
Created 22 May 2011
Re-launch for Easter
35 Photos
Created 25 April 2011
Our home built rowing / sailing / motoring tender
8 Photos
Created 2 March 2011
A month away to Chile walking the mountains and lakes, then onto a discovery ship for a week exploring Patagonia and ultimately, Cape Horn. Best holiday ever............
5 Photos
Created 28 February 2011
From Turkey in May to the Caribbean for Xmas. We left Turkey two up, spent June in Greece with pals Jude and Viv visiting, July solo in Croatia and August in Italy and then Balearics where Seu went home for a week and mate Brian from Oz came for a weeks sailing. Then Sue flew back and Brian home, we sailed through September to Spanish east coast pals then Lagos in Portugal. Refitted boat for Atlantic and grabbed another week home in UK, then sailed in October to Canaries for start of ARC in November. Joined by pal Gerry the three of us raced in the ARC across to St Lucia and led the Crsuier A Div fleet to finish in 16 days 1 hour - and won the Prime Ministers Trophy!
100 Photos
Created 18 January 2011
The journey bringing Matilda from Alkmeer in N Holland down the Dutch canals and rivers, then down the Belgium and French coasts, across the Channel and into Eastbourne and fianlly on to Lymington where we lifted her for the winter.
21 Photos
Created 18 January 2011
After some time back in Europe skiing we returned to Antigua with a family crew and partied hard during Antigua Race Week. Like to tell you we did well, but not on the race course! Too many hangovers and old cruiser sails meant we were simply not competitive - except at the bar!
47 Photos
Created 5 December 2010
Left in April gales to cross the Med with pals Marcus and Gerry and Sue from Mallorca to Turkey so we could join the East Med Rally from Istanbul. Did not make it and linked up at Ayvalik where pals went home. Did the rally double handed for 3 months down Turkish the glorious coast, then Cyprus, Syria, Lebanon, Israel, Egypt, back to Israel, inland to Jordan, then sail back to Turkey. All nice. Possibly best year of my life!
115 Photos
Created 5 December 2010
Took our new Hanse 461 in May from UK to Portugal along with Rally Portugal, then onward to the Med and Balearics from June. Fabulous summer with lots of mates visiting with us to really explore Mallorca, Ibiza, Formetera. Brilliant weather, sailing and experiences. Eventually flew home end August having berthed Swagman in Palma de Mallorca where we revisited her several times in the fall.
81 Photos
Created 5 December 2010
Took our Grant Soleil 42 Swagman from UK to Portugal with Rally Portugal. Took race crew with Sue and I across Briscay in F8 n'lies - completed crossing in 3 days 3 minutes - averaged 7.5 knots. Won virtually every leg thereafter despite being only two up. Liked Lagos so did visit Gib and ports along the Algave, returning end August to Lagos where we berthed her............and then sold her once we bought Swagman (11) at the Southmpton Boat Show.
7 Photos
Created 4 December 2010