Yacht Swagman

22 August 2015
14 August 2015
10 August 2015
06 July 2015
22 June 2015
08 June 2015 | Cherborg, France
21 May 2015 | Eddystone Lighthouse
02 March 2015 | Lymington
10 December 2014 | Hamble
25 November 2014 | Lymington
24 November 2014 | Lymington
29 September 2014 | Whitstable
30 August 2014 | Brighton, UK
28 August 2014 | Brighton, UK

Fastnet Race Report

22 August 2015
A helicopter shot of Jumbuck, flying in lumpy seas around the Fastnet Lighthouse

It's done.

I've started typing this whilst sitting up in bed, mid morning Saturday 22nd. It was almost this same time that six days back - Sunday 16th - that we were motoring up from Lymington to Cowes for the start of this bi-annual classic.

We finished Thursday 20th, 20:51 in the evening, achieving a 48th place overall under IRC, a 24th place in a very competitive 90 yacht Division Three, and 6th place from our 23 x J109 entries. Securing a spot in the top 25% of each group means we did ok, improving on our last efforts in 2013.

Although with a little bit of good fortune, methinks we could have done even better.....

It was a big race this anniversary year, with a record breaking fleet close to 400 yachts. We experienced every weather condition you could think of over the 630 mile course, and spent four days at sea. Early on we had solid light to medium breezes and medium waves. Then a few very frustrating wind holes. Sunny days drifting over mirror like seas. A day of soaking wet rain on a long lumpy upwind bash, and a day and a half on a longer off wind blast surfing before reasonable seas.....

All over a course which had seven tidal gates to manage. Portland Bill, Start Point, Lizard, Lands End, Fastnet Rock, and again Lands End and the Lizard.

The experienced say if you get these right, then you just might win the race......

We tried hard. Secured a brilliant start Sunday midday getting clear of our crowded Division 3 line under sunny skies with the start of an ebbing tide making it easy to get penalised, and continued to do really well right through to nightfall. We were up front, close second of the 109s, beating out of the Solent heading west in the afternoon with the full ebbing tide giving us all and extra knot or two of SOG. The bigger boats that had started ahead of us in what was then a flooding tide had suffered also with the lack of wind, so we found ourselves dicing amongst them even before we got out into Christchurch Bay.

Pretty steady medium NW to W winds until late evening allowed us to consolidate up in the front of our fleet, but it gradually died and backed SW as nightfall fell, just as we drew level with Portland Bill. Maybe 5 miles off - and well south of the dreaded overfalls!

Unfortunately this lighter patch coincided with the tide turning up Channel, so we had a frustrating four hours of darkness still pointing west, but being swept backwards and south in a course resembling a reverse C. Lots of others around were experiencing the same, but it would have been impossible with our kit to think we could consider anchoring up, unlike many of the bigger boats, as we were in 70+ metres of water. As we were swept south east past the lights of the anchored boats it gave the impression they were the ones overtaking us! But guess their crews were sitting below sippin brandy and smoking cigars after enjoying a roast dinner on china plates - whilst we continued working hard in the dark trying to make some W'ly motion.

So in the tidal gate score, it opened at Tidal Gates 1 - Jumbuck 0.

It was still very dark in the wee hours of Monday that the flooding tide began to ease and we began to claw our way from the bottom of our C towards the SW. A few hours on saw the wind nudge gently up and we got a little faster, eventually feeling comfortable on our beat westward across Lyme Bay. The next headland of Start Point. Our goal was to get past that headlands tidal gate with the next ebbing tide.

Lovely night sailing through to dawn. Clear skies. Millions of stars. Flat water. Moderate winds, and by the time we could see the Start Point lights, the tide had turned again and the ebbing flow began to speed us onward. Better. Score Tidal Gates 1 - Jumbuck 1.

Couldn't see our supposed J109 rivals on the AIS, but reviewing the race tracker afterwards it seems we were all still right up there, basically level pegging within a few miles of one another. We had assumed somehow they might have got further ahead of us, as Portland is not usually on our side, but this time seems we did ok.....

But then the weather Gods must have thought we were all having it too easy. They flicked off the wind fan maybe 0900 Monday fortunately after we had Start Point behind.

We and the other boats around coasted to a standstill under hot sun on a glassy flat sea, in what resembled a large yottie parking lot of westerly drifting yachts. The AIS system showed everyone around was more or less stationery - and it looked as if it was a wind hole at least ten miles across. More and more boats came up from behind to join in, and despite feeling frustrated it was pleasing that lots were larger Div 0/1/2 boats that somehow we'd overtaken the previous night.

Guess our race was setting up for a restart at that time, but some of our rivals got away early.

The 109 we were the most worried about - Just So - is crewed by good light wind sailors anyway. As I've detailed, up to this point we had jockeyed for the lead 109 spot with Just So and a few others. Jolly Jack Tar, Jolene, Boo, Jolenko, Mohito, Pure Joy, Jai Alai, we all drifted to a halt pretty much in line, still representing the front part of the 109 pack.

We were all pushed gently SW through the morning by the tide, us ending up perhaps 6/10 miles offshore, and Just So who angled much closer towards the shoreline, ending up close in. Speaking later, they explained they went in there hoping for some early coastal sea breeze, and they found it. An escape path.

Seems they had a rig problem, and in the drifting conditions took advantage to send a man aloft midday in a bosuns chair. He not only fixed the rig, but had a good look around from his high vantage point and identified a light wind 'roadway' rippling the sea and winding off towards the Next headland of The Lizard. So down he came and off they went short tacking down that coastal pathway making ground over nearly everyone else around. Jai Alai and the others, closest to them followed on. Guess Boo followed her. Jolene II joined the party. We weren't invited. Couldn't tell what was happening at that time, so just sat offshore with the bigger boats and let them all get away. Couldn't see them on AIS, so totally unaware.

We spent the afternoon trimming hard countering the turned flooding tide, but it was early evening before the group we were with offshore got any real forward motion. By which time those inshore 109s were round The Lizard and heading for Lands End and the Scillies. We weren't even close. Score Tidal Gates 2 - Jumbuck 1.

We enjoyed soft winds through that night, and we all slid past Lands End at dawn on the second half of the easterly / northerly tide. Those closest in did better than those further out. Tidal Gates 3 - Jumbuck 1.

Those leading 109s got to the Scilly Island east about passages perhaps two hours before we did, they did so on the last of that flooding tide.

In the very light breezes it meant those ahead just managed to get up the favoured eastern passage (it's the shortest route to Fastnet) with the last of that tide gently pushing them north, but as we arrived the tide was slackening and about to turn west / south, and that risked bringing us to a standstill if we followed their obviously shorter course.

We agreed we might get the predicted SW winds due to come in later in the day if we forgot about following them north, and continued heading west to meet the hoped for stronger breeze. So our plan was to go south about the islands to then head up the western passage. We did find that slightly fresher wind before those we left behind, and despite loosing more time on the 109s ahead because we sailed much further, we could see on the AIs that we overtook 12 yachts in the three hours it took us to get around and out into the Celtic Sea. Checking the detail charts since, I actually believe we could have gone right up through the middle of the island group and overtaken a few more..... next time, eh?

Wasn't looking good. The chances of catching those leading five 109's was low, but never say never.....

The beat NW out across the Celtic Sea saw the winds steadily build under a sky that was now filling with grey clouds. We felt well positioned on port tack, closer to the new wind than other behind us and knowing we could sail slightly freer if we had to. It didn't take long for stronger wind, rain and resultant waves, to arrive around midday Tuesday. Those conditions remained with us until race end.

Smashing along first under 90 sq metre A4 then down to 70 sq metre Code 0, then regular AP headsails, with rain soaking the crew perched on the top rail, we ever so slowly made decent time on our way west north west towards the rock - keeping very close company with lots of larger yachts. Right through Tuesday night with multiple lights from other yachts close around us, we bashed and crashed to windward to finally end up going down to our old No 4 headsail, and eventually see dawn break Wednesday with only a final few miles to make the Irish mainland.

By then we had a new south running tide helping lift us towards the Fastnet TSS that we were required to leave to port. Suspect we lost a little more time using that No 4 than the 109's ahead who clearly carried their No2/No3's, but with the tide helping us along, it felt really fast.

Helicopters whirred overhead (hence the good shot plus a short video clip of Jumbuck at http://www.rolexfastnetrace.com/Race-Videos-2015/video-rolexfastnetrace-day5-2015.html... ) as we stormed up and around the lighthouse at 11.30 in the morning still with the tide pushing us from behind.

So score Tidal Gates 3 - Jumbuck 2.

We just shaved the rocks ducking some fishing and media boats, maybe 30 metres off with tidal flow still helping us south at pace, and it gave us some great photo opportunities. We freed up to reach around the Fastnet TSS to quickly enjoy a swift whisky with chocolates, before sailing deeper still and throwing up the spinnaker for the long off wind run back. We were still pretty focussed trying to catch some fellow 109s during that run, as we had done so two years before.

We were positioned 52nd overall in IRC on our time at the rock, and had the following 109s' ahead of us. Jai Alai (0914), Just So (0945), Boo (1019), Mohito (1035), Jolene II (1046). Then there's the the pack of chasers close behind we couldn't ignore.

J-T'Aime four miles back and just ahead of Wakey Wakey (1158), Pure Joy (1202), and Bonfire IV (1236).

J-T'Aime charging on....

That downhill leg proved an absolute blast. The SWly shifted regularly towards the S and back, but remained solid around 15/18 knots. We went through the full off wind sail wardrobe several times over. Big 120 sq mtre A2, 90 sq mtre A4, Staysail, 70 sq mtre Code 0, back to A2, back up with staysail, and then repeat it all again. The constant changes helped us retain our maximum pace, and we certainly overtook quite a few larger boats with top speed logged of 13.4, but then the other 109's were performing just as well.

Kept at it right through that last night at sea, having swapped from a 3 man up 3 man down 3 hour watch system to rotating 2 men off and 4 on. Having 4 up allowed us to really work helm, main, and foresail relentlessly - but via AIS it didn't seem to give us any gains over the 109's ahead - and only just kept us away from those behind.

Dawn broke and saw us sliding south around the Scilly Islands still scudding along before fresh SW winds. Got the tide timing right, so score at Lands End was Tidal Gate 3 - Jumbuck 3.

By this time the combined fleets had converged on the Scilly Islands western TSS, and from there effectively we all sailed the same straight course towards the final headland of the Lizard - and then across the bay to Plymouth and the finish. So lots of fun finding clear air opportunities to overtake those slower boats we came up on.

I was hoping to hear our huge offwind efforts might have got us at least a few minutes on the other 109's ahead, but clearly not all of them. Seems every other 109 was sailing just as hard as we were, and some doing it better!!

Rounded the Lizard, last headland before Plymouth on the last of an ebbing tide, so final score Tidal Gates 4 - Jumbuck 3. A last five hours then jousting with fellow club boat Zarafa, who held us off to cross just ahead, and then we were over......timed in at 2031.

Jai Alai had finished at 1736! A very very fast time but then she is a totally carbon rigged and optimised 109 from Holland, with a handicap much much higher than everyone else. She certainly goes like a rocket downhill when its fresh but with that huge handicap resulting from her high spec rig, she only got placed one 109 spot ahead of us.......

But with the more conventionally rigged Just So finishing close behind Jai Alai (1804), they were rightfully awarded first placed 109 on corrected time! A well deserved victory, as they had sailed both fast and smart. A top, top job. Well done David, Mary and crew.

Mohito got 2nd place (1905), Boo got 3rd (2000), Jolene II got 4th (1931) then Jai Alai 5th, Jumbuck 6th (2031), J-T'Aime 7th (2104), Jaganda Too 8th (2132), Wakey Wakey 9th (2143) and Bonfire IV 10th (2243). Would loved to have done better ourselves but not a bad result, and absolutely brilliant to have ten well sailed 109's in the top 100 boats overall............the class is clearly still a force to be reckoned with!

In those leading ten on that last blast home, we had taken time from Boo ahead, Wakey Wakey, J-T'Aime and Bonfire IV behind. But then lost more time to Just So, Jolene II, Mohito ahead..........So despite all of our extra efforts, all the grinding, pumping, surfing, max men on deck, plus having overtaken other IRC boats to get back from 52nd at the rock to 48th at the finish, the end order of 109s remained as was at the Fastnet rounding. A pretty level pegging class eh!

Unshaven, unshowered, bit smelly in race clothes, we had a liquid late afternoon, evening and night in the village crew bar with fellow 109ers and the French crewed JPK's who dominated all the results. Rum with dry ginger and an added shot of gin were the flavour of the evening.

The self inflicted head whirls meant Chris G and I bailed at 3 am. Dave had left earlier to catch a train home, but Fergus, Rupert and Will joined some from Just So to drink on. Youth with stamina aplenty. All good stuff.

The stop-outs were first sighted again Friday 0900 as Chris and I headed out for breakfast and we all crossed paths with them heading back to the boat with drinks and homeward provisions in hand.....

A huge thanks to all the mob on board as everyone played their part and more. Especially Fergus. Superb helmsman and all round sailor. Rupert a tremendously skilled sailor in his own right. Well done Chris, and a big thanks to last minute replacements Will and David. Everyone contributing to make it an entertaining four days and getting us a more than satisfactory result.

I wanted to be top 6 in 109's. We achieved that. Without breakage or one cross word.

Who could ask for more? Well I could, had we been able to improve on our score against the Tidal Gates.........

On. On.

Nearly There

14 August 2015
The Fastnet fleet exiting the Solent past Hurst Castle in 2011

Its Friday, just about to go down the local for our end of week get together - no doubt followed by a curry - and reflecting on how we are almost ready to point Jumbuck our J109 35 footer, at the start line.

We will actually do that at 12:40 on Sunday 16th - but in what's forecasted as very light airs.

Sadly we had family health issues with pal Allan which led to us inviting a new crew member in Allan's place - to make up our six man crew. We are both disappointed, but the crew is now self, Chris Gibson, Fergus Roper, Rupert Houlton, Will White and last minute David Cummings. Everyone on board have sailed 109's for a few years and with six up - as opposed to our 8 in 2013 - we could have a weight as well as skills advantage for this race.

What with a new lightweight AP, the Code 0, staysail, and new A4 all additional to our 2013 wardrobe, we will have no one else we can blame if we don't get a decent result.

They predict light airs today, but until we actually start we won't know for sure it's direction. Changeable is the best word for it. Our ETA Plymouth is late Thursday, early Friday.

It actually can't take any longer as we're not carrying any extra food or water for a full Friday still out on the Irish Sea.....

We have broken with a few of our conventions this time round - lower crew numbers; unloading every single bit of extra kits not needed; shipping shore side cloths bags down by road; NOT CARRYING BEER for any sundowners. Let's just hope its all worthwhile and we do actually go quicker as a result.

There's now 23 x J109's entered in the 370 boat race, the largest fleet of one design yachts taking part, and there's more than a few who are very competitive. So if we can arrive in Plymouth in the first 6 I would be well pleased, and of course we will be trying hard to do better......

Last minute checks together with the crew tomorrow to rationalise the kit they want to take on the boat. As we've even thought to save weight by buying a large tube of toothpaste and large bottle of sunblock for all to share - I will not be expecting them to bring more than toothbrushes, 2 x spare pants, 2 x t-shirts, a fleece, a jacket, shorts / trousers, a hat, pair of sunnies, and wet weather gear. All the rest can go into their shore side bags which I will drive down to the pick up point tomorrow afternoon and all collect when the race ends.

So - be sure to check our progress down the 630 mile course. There's a link to the 2015 Fastnet Tracker Site under Favorites on the right side bar on this site, or you can download the Yellow Brick Tracker App to a tablet or phone and dial into the event.

The boats we want to beat are Raging Bee, J T-Aime, Just So, Mojito, Jelenko, Jolene II, Jaganda - plus of course all the rest!

Will update the blog immediately we are into Plymouth.

On. On.

Three Days of Cowes Week

10 August 2015
With Fastnet next Sunday, not wishing any breakages, but with non Fastnet crew wanting to take part, we shortened our planned Cowes Regatta to four races. One Saturday, two Sunday, one Monday (today).

Took the boat over Friday arvo. Its always buzzy parked up right in the centre of Cowes as the boats come piling in with battle flags flying. We had a berth booked in Cowes Yacht Haven - right alongside the party village.

We enjoyed beautiful weather over the weekend, winds a bit light for the first day, heavier later. And despite being severely handicapped on sails we did ok on our first race outing.

Bit stupid of me not to check beforehand, but the 109 fleet at Cowes Week doesn't race under IRC handicap. Why didn't I know that!!

Instead it uses the J109 class rules, where you can use a No 1 and No 2 headsail (which we don't have) and you definitely can't use stay sails or Code 0s or jib inhaulers (all of which we do have).

So bit of a mismatch between our boat and the rest of the fleet. Like putting a hotted up VW up against a bunch of Porches. But hey, that's the way it was, so Friday night we resolved to focus on the parties and not get too stressed on the race course.

But then we actually sailed Saturday tactically perfect, just managing to hang onto the closely contested fleet coats tail upwind, then always gaining some back on the light downwind legs. Then luck played its part and when the wind actually did die late arvo we elected to head island side heading offwind to the finish, when the majority went the other way, and we found ourselves in the right place at the right time.

Right enough to slide over the finish line just 30 seconds behind the fleet leader. So whoopee. Despite being under canvassed we got Race One - 2nd Place.

But have to say its a noisy class fleet. Lots young guys hollering and barging at starts and each mark rounding, and I suspect the week will see lots of protest hearings. From what I could hear / see, a few of them could well do with some racing rule lessons.....

We had enjoyed a big night on Friday in the Haven Village, but had an even bigger one Saturday evening on the back of that 2nd place. Good job too, as we didn't see it repeated Sunday!

The day dawned with fresher winds and a very sloppy Solent. We were right up there for a front line start (to try and get our noses in front and some clean air) but were a bit too aggressive.

As it happened we didn't go well anyway, simply lacking the power to blast upwind through the chop as we only had our smaller headsail, but we were gutted after completing the race mid fleet, to then learn we had been disqualified for being OCS! So Race Two - awarded a 19th Place.

They then ran a second Sunday race and it was even windier, plus we didn't get so aggressive up front, so again saw the rest of the fleet simply go away from us upwind. They all had height and speed on us using larger headsails. Most frustrating.

But never giving up, we were not doing it all wrong when we had an problem retrieving the kite allowing it to slide right under the boat and stop us dead in the water. Luckily no damage but it allowed those few behind us the chance to overtake - and there's little room for error in such a tight grouping.....

So Race Three - only a 15th Place.

So a little more sombre in the pub Sunday night, but then the loan offer of Sardonyx old No 1 and 2 for Monday was made, an today saw us out on a very wet course with sails the same size as the rest of the fleet. Admittedly old sails, with a few patches, but both were a definite power improvement on just our No 3.

Got a great start and away we went. Can't tell you how good that was to move upwind with pace that matched the others.

Conditions were blustery with significant shifts, but enjoyed very close racing at the front end of the fleet around the west Solent. Bad visibility, and wet weather always in the offing.

With minimal errors and lots of effort on the last long offwind leg, we managed to slide over the RYS finish line still in the lead bunch, and with less than 30 seconds separating each boat. Very very close.

So Race 4 - we got a respectable 6th Place. Not bad considering we were using old sails, and cant thank Sardonyx enough for lending them to us. They said afterwards that up the first beat when we got ahead of them, they were beginning to regret the gesture, but latterly they did get back ahead and led us in...........just rewards really.

So after three days, that's Cowes Week 2015 all over for us.

Was good to mix it with the other top class boats, and feel confident we can match it with them when we've got the right crew, right sails, and always, the right luck......

All our team did really well.

As it stands today, Jumbuck was standing at 9th out of 18 in the fleet. Half way up the list even after one disqualification and sailing 3 of the 4 races with much smaller sails. For me, that's a satisfactory result - and nothing got broke before our Fastnet.

My thanks to Rob, Chris, Chris, Sue, Allan, Wayne - and blow in young Richard for our last race.

A fabulous long weekend and forget what I said about nothing getting broke - my wallet in the race village certainly did!

Nice Day on the Water.........but....

27 July 2015
Yacht Aztec on Sunday - courtesy of Lymington Times / LPB Aerial Images

Well Saturday was a nice day on the water - Sunday was a bit different - and overall it was a great weekends party in super company. Just a disappointing performance by us on the Tattinger Regatta racetrack.

We did better at the parties. Friday nights Champagne Reception was pumping. We had a berth in Yarmouth Harbour and enjoyed the time at Royal Solents Clubhouse quaffing the complimentary bottles before hitting Salties and engaging nice people in Swahili like conversations. Can't recall much about the end of the evening - but I am certain it was all good:-) Apologies to anyone I tried to engage in conversation........really sorry.

Saturday saw us out racing with headaches in medium to light winds under a sunny skies.

Race one saw us get a lot wrong, and we came 7th from 17.
Race two saw us get more right, and we still came 7th from 17!

We just seem incapable of completing simple sail handling at the same pace as other boats, and seemed to have no height at all going to windward. Would have been very frustrating if we weren't having so much FUN!

Saturday nights Towers Party after food at the pub, was another super event. Heaving. Super rock bands. Bit too much rum and dry ginger. Lots of dancing. Great fireworks. Jumbuck was a bit packed with 9 staying over - but alcohol helped us all squeeze in somehow. Not sure what time we all hit the sack, but it was another late one.

Woke Sunday to rain drumming on deck, grey scudding clouds and the warning of 30 knot winds. Rob and Sue ran for the ferry at 0800. Very sensible. Quiet a few boats simply remained in their berths, but for some strange reason the rest of us went out. It was a bit windy. Away from the dock late, so no breakfast. Soaked through trying to swill down black coffee as we made our way over to the mainland shore start line. From the faces, I was unsure how many of our guys actually wanted to go racing. But we did.

Not a bad start as it happens, beating into SSW winds towards the island. Gusty. Wet.

The winds tipped over 30 up that beat. I was seriously thinking about giving it away after we noticed a short split starting on the headsail leach, and definitely decided to give it away after our first attempt under kite, once we got round the top mark and turned off the wind.

The asymmetric went up ok and we were not badly placed in our fleet. As we headed north away from the shelter of the island shore gusts then began to bullet through and the boat settled down - moving out well - as we ran off back towards the mainland. But when a somewhat stronger gust arrived from behind, our tack line clutch simply failed to hold under the added pressure, and large asymmetric began to move slowly away from the boat as the tack line steadily whizzed out through the closed clutch!

The spinnaker then reset itself maybe 10 metres away from the bow as the cockpit tangled tack line jammed up, and as the sail swung aft and really powered up, around we went to windward. There was nothing we could do as Jumbuck heeled over swiftly, completing a wild broach!

Its the first time I've had a kite trying to fly itself so far from any boat I've ever skippered.........or seen the top of this mast come so close to the water!

Even with the sheets let fly, we found ourselves pinned down on our side for maybe a minute with green water coming over the combing and into the cockpit as the boat was dragged sideways, our crew all perched on the top rail, as the rest of the fleet creamed past taking appropriate avoiding action.

With the sea holding in the bottom of the asymmetric, the cockpit knife came out to cut the jammed tack line, and Jumbuck shrugged back upright with the kite and ropes streaming out horizontally from our masthead in 40 knots of wind......

Maybe 50 metres behind us the A35 'Aztec' was trying to avoid such a broach when she lost her mast at the spreaders, so guess we got away with it lightly.

Got the kite back in with no damage before considering our options. No one hurt. Boat not broken. Only one cut line - which was clearly not up to it anyway - and will be replaced.

What to do? The fleet was a horizon job by then. We checked out Aztec, but they already had safety boats in attendance and Solent Coastguard had it all Mayday covered.

Rain continued to sheet down, the wind continued to blow, and steak sandwiches and cold beers back in Lymington proved a tempting alternative to the race course.

So we radioed in our retirement, cranked on the engine, and home we went.

Wind topped 43 knots as we ran into the Lymington River, but 45 minutes later the boat was cleared away, and I had my teeth into that sandwich. Was good.

A huge thanks to Sue, Rob, Dave, Abi, Teddy, Allan and Chris for enjoying the weekend with us. Great great fun, but we clearly have more still to do if we ever want to succeed at short course racing.....

On. On.

Nah nah nah nah, nah, nah.......we got on the Fastnet!

24 July 2015
Fastnet Rock - a 640 mile race to Ireland and back

Pleased to advise I got an email today saying a slot has opened up for us! It's made my year.....

Sadly a few key crew have made alternate holiday plans as none of us expected the opportunity to arrive, but the combo of good results in the qualifiers, and some Gods smiling down, have worked for us.

So now frantically scrabbling around to make up quality crew numbers, and juggling days in Cowes Week so we can have Jumbuck prepped for the big one.

I think we will be ok. Think.....

For those with an interest, I've added a link to the Yellow Brick Fastnet 2015 tracking site so you can see how we are going.....or not!


Passmore Bowl - er, sorry, no......

22 July 2015
Went up to the RORCs St James Clubhouse last night to be awarded with the Passmore Bowl, the trophy for the fastest boat on corrected time in the biggest production fleet in the St Malo Race.

Trouble is, in recent past years, the actual bowls gone walkabout.

But a very nice replacement was presented to us. A modern crystal decanter suitable engraved, and as opposed to the club silverware that has to be returned each year, this ones for us to keep!

Will recall the race every time we use it ;-)
Vessel Name: Jumbuck
Vessel Make/Model: J109
Hailing Port: Lymington
Crew: Sue and John (here crossing the line to win the 2007 ARC) on Swagman
Married 46 years and been sailing for 35 of those. Keen racers and cruisers starting in Australia and now based out of the UK. From 2004 to 2009 we cruised most summer months on our yachts exploring UK to West Med, East Med to Caribbean. [...]
In 2010 tried the darker side with a classic 45' motor launch. It opened up the rivers, canals and backwaters of Europe for a year, but that did not hit all buttons, and yacht racing drew us back. Got a Scow dinghy for club racing in 2011 and called her Billy Can, got a J109 for racing 2012 and [...]
Jumbuck's Photos - Moret to Migenne
Photo 33 of 47 | Back To Album
Prev   Next
Market buying - Pont sur Yonne
Market buying - Pont sur Yonne
Added 2 September 2011